2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

Remember? You gave me the heads up to bring more than just the containers

1 person likes this.
  2. noob hunter

noob hunter Young Morel

Last year I went on an all day hunt in Whitewater area at a friends farm. 8 hours later, had 2 morels to show for it. As I'm walking in the door, he calls, and tells me "You gotta get over here", talking about his rental property, right in down town Waukesha. We picked 7 pounds in an area the size of 2 trucks. I've never seen anything like it. You literally couldn't walk into the patch, they were so thick. Easiest picking I've ever had.

3. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I remember that part, just curious why oatmeal containers and not a basket or tupperware? Assume you're not wanting to damage them right?

1 person likes this.
  4. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Man, my mouth is watering as I write this! Good job!!

2 people like this.
  5. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

Finally had a rainfall in Southeast WI with temps above 60 degrees. This should really help the growth even with cooler temps forecast for the next two days. Checking on a few small morels that I spotted last weekend. I am guessing they should have doubled at least in size.

1 person likes this.
  6. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

Yea I prefer the safety and discreteness of the backpack, and avoid putting my mushrooms in any sort of plastic.

2 people like this.
  7. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

I do the same now

3 people like this.
  8. Kbart

Kbart Morel Enthusiast

It's still early, everything is behind (at least in Central Michigan). I went to a spot that yielded 60 mushrooms under one tree last year and went back on mothers day to find nothing. Went to the same spot today and counted 11. Probably more still to come. The ones that I found today were small and all coming up at the same ground level elevation. The dips in the earth near the tree haven't had time to warm so they could still pop any day. go back to that tree in 4-6 days if you are warming up in your area now.

M3Shell and (deleted member) like this.
  9. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Okay that makes great sense. I can only count on one hand less my thumb the number of times I've seen another person in the deep woods hunting morels. If I score I'll walk within eye sight of the car and make my move when I'm sure no one will see me.

10. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Kbart,
    What part of MI do you prefer? Been up there three times and got it handed to me. Back in the 70's I can remember pictures in the paper of people that had returned from there with a two car garage floor completely covered with morels. My past hunting partner picked a 100 lbs. in one valley with his dad when he was young. The story of that never gets old, no matter how many times I hear it.

1 person likes this.
  11. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

That's a true friend there. Here's a portion of my front yard this year. Picked over 60 in a 20 foot circle. 20190504_153759.jpg

12. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

wow, thats cool

3 people like this.
  13. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

Another question: when you're hunting in the woods, do you ever pull back the dead leaves and ground covering? The spot that I had hot last year sucks now (found only one). The ground cover seems about 6" thick though, and I'm wondering if I simply can't see them.

14. Elevatorguy

Elevatorguy Morel Enthusiast

Finding blacks

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  15. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

Found about a dozen in the Milwaukee area today after the rain. Still have room to grow so left them. We are definitely a week or more behind from last year.

Attached Files:

16. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

Yes, pull back grasses, leaves, sticks, fallen bark, get down on your hands and knees, look at different angles. You'd be suprised by how many most people walk by and never see. I take different people out every year and make the bet that I can pick more following 30 yards behind them than they find, and typically win that bet. Takes time to train the eye, but once you get versed enough, they seem to "magically appear" where others walk right through.

17. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

No, mushrooms are decomposers which is why they are sitting over dead elm. Nitrogen fixing plants like legumes can benefit from nitrogen that is found in the atmosphere. Also, morel hunters like ourselves benefit from nitrogen fixation which is why we really go see the dentist. If you request a double portion the dentist can pull a tooth without any local anesthesia. if you request a triple portion, something else is wrong

1 person likes this.
  18. gold diggers

To be really discrete about it, why not fry them up right there in the woods and eat em. That way when you walk out of the woods holding an empty bag no one will suspect you just hit a mother lode because they're all in your gut.

19. gold diggers

Have you tried the Domes or are those closed this year?