Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

241 - 260 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd still take a mesh bag just in case you find the mother load. Don't make a rookie mistake 3 miles in and not be able to get your haul out. I always take at least two mesh bags and several plastic Walmart sacks just in case. Plan C is to tie a knot in my tee shirt and use it as a bag. Good luck.
Remember? You gave me the heads up to bring more than just the containers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last year I went on an all day hunt in Whitewater area at a friends farm. 8 hours later, had 2 morels to show for it. As I'm walking in the door, he calls, and tells me "You gotta get over here", talking about his rental property, right in down town Waukesha. We picked 7 pounds in an area the size of 2 trucks. I've never seen anything like it. You literally couldn't walk into the patch, they were so thick. Easiest picking I've ever had.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Finally had a rainfall in Southeast WI with temps above 60 degrees. This should really help the growth even with cooler temps forecast for the next two days. Checking on a few small morels that I spotted last weekend. I am guessing they should have doubled at least in size.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice catch rookie!

I'm a real rookie (2nd year hunting). I have a question for the experienced hunters: did I screw up my hunting spot last year, by harvesting all of the morels I saw? I'll asking, because I found a couple dozen near one elm on my property last year, made sure to use a mesh bag, and only see one, measly small morel under the same tree this year! I'm pretty bummed, since I had as many ticks crawling on me.
It's still early, everything is behind (at least in Central Michigan). I went to a spot that yielded 60 mushrooms under one tree last year and went back on mothers day to find nothing. Went to the same spot today and counted 11. Probably more still to come. The ones that I found today were small and all coming up at the same ground level elevation. The dips in the earth near the tree haven't had time to warm so they could still pop any day. go back to that tree in 4-6 days if you are warming up in your area now.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yea I prefer the safety and discreteness of the backpack, and avoid putting my mushrooms in any sort of plastic.
Okay that makes great sense. I can only count on one hand less my thumb the number of times I've seen another person in the deep woods hunting morels. If I score I'll walk within eye sight of the car and make my move when I'm sure no one will see me.

·
Registered
724 Posts
It's still early, everything is behind (at least in Central Michigan). I went to a spot that yielded 60 mushrooms under one tree last year and went back on mothers day to find nothing. Went to the same spot today and counted 11. Probably more still to come. The ones that I found today were small and all coming up at the same ground level elevation. The dips in the earth near the tree haven't had time to warm so they could still pop any day. go back to that tree in 4-6 days if you are warming up in your area now.
Kbart,
What part of MI do you prefer? Been up there three times and got it handed to me. Back in the 70's I can remember pictures in the paper of people that had returned from there with a two car garage floor completely covered with morels. My past hunting partner picked a 100 lbs. in one valley with his dad when he was young. The story of that never gets old, no matter how many times I hear it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Last year I went on an all day hunt in Whitewater area at a friends farm. 8 hours later, had 2 morels to show for it. As I'm walking in the door, he calls, and tells me "You gotta get over here", talking about his rental property, right in down town Waukesha. We picked 7 pounds in an area the size of 2 trucks. I've never seen anything like it. You literally couldn't walk into the patch, they were so thick. Easiest picking I've ever had.
That's a true friend there. Here's a portion of my front yard this year. Picked over 60 in a 20 foot circle.
20190504_153759.jpg

·
Registered
33 Posts
Another question: when you're hunting in the woods, do you ever pull back the dead leaves and ground covering? The spot that I had hot last year sucks now (found only one). The ground cover seems about 6" thick though, and I'm wondering if I simply can't see them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Another question: when you're hunting in the woods, do you ever pull back the dead leaves and ground covering? The spot that I had hot last year sucks now (found only one). The ground cover seems about 6" thick though, and I'm wondering if I simply can't see them.
Yes, pull back grasses, leaves, sticks, fallen bark, get down on your hands and knees, look at different angles. You'd be suprised by how many most people walk by and never see. I take different people out every year and make the bet that I can pick more following 30 yards behind them than they find, and typically win that bet. Takes time to train the eye, but once you get versed enough, they seem to "magically appear" where others walk right through.

·
Registered
230 Posts
OK we got some rain this morning with thunder and lightning. The rain will help along with warm weather. My question today is: Does lightning induced nitrogen effect the morel crop? TIA
No, mushrooms are decomposers which is why they are sitting over dead elm. Nitrogen fixing plants like legumes can benefit from nitrogen that is found in the atmosphere. Also, morel hunters like ourselves benefit from nitrogen fixation which is why we really go see the dentist. If you request a double portion the dentist can pull a tooth without any local anesthesia. if you request a triple portion, something else is wrong

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yea I prefer the safety and discreteness of the backpack, and avoid putting my mushrooms in any sort of plastic.
To be really discrete about it, why not fry them up right there in the woods and eat em. That way when you walk out of the woods holding an empty bag no one will suspect you just hit a mother lode because they're all in your gut.

241 - 260 of 354 Posts