2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

Boot camp is actually good training for hunting morels. A lot of the time your face is in the ground. If you can't find them, get a pair of "magical" reading glasses. I recommend a 1.25 magnification. What do you wear, Old Elm?

2 people like this.
  2. gold diggers

It never pays to cut the grass too early. Whenever the wife screams at me to get my fat... out there and cut the lawn, I just say, "morels aren't up yet". Usually this works through the month of June.

3. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

So true, just like yesterday. Found a nice prime,prime Elm. Nothing around the base. It just looked too good. In the early season I would have gone my way and looked for a better hot spot. But I backed up and slowly searched the ground, found a real nice one. I am excited now and know exactly what too so, I went further back to what I thought the the most extended range from the tree the Morels would come up. Found another nice one and another. Looked back of me and saw another farther down the hill. So I went back farther from that one, saw another one farther, wow. I ended up over 5oft from the tree. I looked around to see if there was another host tree, nothing, no stumps even. I went back and forth over the area 4 times, even the slightest different angle gives you a way better chance of spotting them. There was nothing up above the tree, finally found one around the base, looked before and could not believe I missed it, different angle again. Its a pretty public place and I wonder if someone came through and just tromped around the base and went there merry way. Found 40 very nice ones, a mini motherload to me. It was on a slope in a saddle facing southish, Probably the most farthest away from a host tree I ever had, funny the ones farther from the tree where smaller, probably because nothing was picked there. My legs are tired, should take a break from the hills, but with finds like this, its hard to stay away. Good luck everyone

4. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

I might just have to try the Domes. Wonder if there is any dead elm there. Hope they don't mind me stamping around their flower beds.

5. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

So true, I mowed over the area the day after I picked and found four more. Luckily I had blades set high and wheels didn't go over any of them.

6. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

ok, we got back from Chile and Argentina yesterday. Had a few minutes to check one of my spots this morning. found this in a warm spot. Green Bay is on the map.

[​IMG]

7. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Should start to get real good now.
    Enjoy.

1 person likes this.
  8. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

20190517_182031.jpg
    Got some more after work, along with first of the season oysters, and the wild asparagus has finally started sprouting healthy stalks.

2 people like this.
  9. gold diggers

I went out today to hunt a sweet sweet spot -Nada! Nothing but pheasantback;I am de'morel'ized for the time being.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    AIM and Shroomtrooper 1 like this.
  10. gold diggers

What a smorgasbord, twisted minds. Very nice! I'll be right over.

Last edited: May 18, 2019
  11. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

Hit one of our early season warm spots in Manitowoc county, ...ramps around this morel patch too. Nice smells

[​IMG] 20190518_113113-X2.jpg

2 people like this.
  12. twisted minds

20190518_154249.jpg 20190518_151104.jpg
    Got a bunch more, even found some bigfoots.

3 people like this.
  13. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

14. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

OK so I'm wrong again. Of course NO heat. Morels grew an inch in 4 days. Hopefully by Friday I'll be pickin, if we don't have a frost tonight. Ugh!

1 person likes this.
  15. twisted minds

20190519_150421.jpg

I may be soaked from the knees down, but found another couple pounds today that otherwise may have wasted away with all this moisture. Good majority gave away (may have gotten a free drink or two) to the ole' timers that can no longer climb the billy goat bluffs here in God's Country. The price from the buyers may be high, but nothing tops an old fashion "Thank you, I haven't been able to get out for years", from someone who's not able to pick themselves anymore. If you can, share the bounty . . . One day it will be our old a$$=$, that can't gather, and hopefully the next generation will look kindly upon us.

Last edited: May 19, 2019
  16. milwaukee hunter

milwaukee hunter Morel Enthusiast

Had some luck this weekend at a few of my favorite spots around Milwaukee. Some are starting to get water logged from all the rain.

Attached Files:

17. theresonlynow

theresonlynow Young Morel

Just please, Please, PLEASE remember to ask before hunting on private land. Nothing is more frustrating than leaving a few morels out to grow a little more and finding out that someone trespassed and stole them.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
  18. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Eau Claire county just starting. All picked on public land. Most all were on or close to moss. Hoping other morels follow with excess moisture we've got. Sorry I don't count, maybe can't, or weigh.

Attached Files:

Kokomorel likes this.
  19. Elevatorguy

Elevatorguy Morel Enthusiast

20. WisconsinMorels

WisconsinMorels Morel Enthusiast

Any luck for blacks in the Northwoods yet? I'm up in the bayfield area the next few days and might try my luck if I have a chance in the daylight to get out.