Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

261 - 280 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yes, pull back grasses, leaves, sticks, fallen bark, get down on your hands and knees, look at different angles. You'd be suprised by how many most people walk by and never see. I take different people out every year and make the bet that I can pick more following 30 yards behind them than they find, and typically win that bet. Takes time to train the eye, but once you get versed enough, they seem to "magically appear" where others walk right through.
Boot camp is actually good training for hunting morels. A lot of the time your face is in the ground. If you can't find them, get a pair of "magical" reading glasses. I recommend a 1.25 magnification. What do you wear, Old Elm?

·
Registered
230 Posts
That's a true friend there. Here's a portion of my front yard this year. Picked over 60 in a 20 foot circle. View attachment 20584
It never pays to cut the grass too early. Whenever the wife screams at me to get my fat... out there and cut the lawn, I just say, "morels aren't up yet". Usually this works through the month of June.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, pull back grasses, leaves, sticks, fallen bark, get down on your hands and knees, look at different angles. You'd be suprised by how many most people walk by and never see. I take different people out every year and make the bet that I can pick more following 30 yards behind them than they find, and typically win that bet. Takes time to train the eye, but once you get versed enough, they seem to "magically appear" where others walk right through.
So true, just like yesterday. Found a nice prime,prime Elm. Nothing around the base. It just looked too good. In the early season I would have gone my way and looked for a better hot spot. But I backed up and slowly searched the ground, found a real nice one. I am excited now and know exactly what too so, I went further back to what I thought the the most extended range from the tree the Morels would come up. Found another nice one and another. Looked back of me and saw another farther down the hill. So I went back farther from that one, saw another one farther, wow. I ended up over 5oft from the tree. I looked around to see if there was another host tree, nothing, no stumps even. I went back and forth over the area 4 times, even the slightest different angle gives you a way better chance of spotting them. There was nothing up above the tree, finally found one around the base, looked before and could not believe I missed it, different angle again. Its a pretty public place and I wonder if someone came through and just tromped around the base and went there merry way. Found 40 very nice ones, a mini motherload to me. It was on a slope in a saddle facing southish, Probably the most farthest away from a host tree I ever had, funny the ones farther from the tree where smaller, probably because nothing was picked there. My legs are tired, should take a break from the hills, but with finds like this, its hard to stay away. Good luck everyone

·
Registered
724 Posts
It never pays to cut the grass too early. Whenever the wife screams at me to get my fat... out there and cut the lawn, I just say, "morels aren't up yet". Usually this works through the month of June.
So true, I mowed over the area the day after I picked and found four more. Luckily I had blades set high and wheels didn't go over any of them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
20190519_150421.jpg

I may be soaked from the knees down, but found another couple pounds today that otherwise may have wasted away with all this moisture. Good majority gave away (may have gotten a free drink or two) to the ole' timers that can no longer climb the billy goat bluffs here in God's Country. The price from the buyers may be high, but nothing tops an old fashion "Thank you, I haven't been able to get out for years", from someone who's not able to pick themselves anymore. If you can, share the bounty . . . One day it will be our old a$$=$, that can't gather, and hopefully the next generation will look kindly upon us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just please, Please, PLEASE remember to ask before hunting on private land. Nothing is more frustrating than leaving a few morels out to grow a little more and finding out that someone trespassed and stole them.

261 - 280 of 354 Posts