2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. AIM

AIM Morel Connoisseur

I'm hoping it is an early sign for bigger things to come but just found a dead elm off a random path and there it was. Moved about 100' and found the shorty. Early in the deep wood but hopefully good sign

Inthewild and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Hroommus

Hroommus Young Morel

Hello everyone,

I've hunted morels many times in my folks' woods in southern Indiana, and never saw one that wasn't pointed out to me... ;^)

That lack of success dovetailed perfectly with my lack of imagination that morels might be found, literally, in my own backyard in Wisconsin.

For 10 years, we've lived on 5 wooded acres in western Dane County and I've been all through the woods over the years--but at the wrong times--making firewood. There are elms a-plenty, standing and fallen dead ones, and young live ones.

For the first time, I've been in the woods (it's been called "oak savannah" by a state forester) this early, enough to see mayapples sprout up in rings around the elms, and for also the first time, have at least a suspicion that morels ought to be there which informs and inspires my hunting.

My parents have passed on, and I'll hunt morels in their memory, but it sure would be nice if I could find one on my own before I go too... :^)

In fact, I won't post an avatar until I find that first one. I've missed any reports from Dane County.

If you've hunted here, I'd appreciate both your general opinions and specific advices.

Thank you. Glad to have stumbled, at least, upon morels.com. It's a good start.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    3ric4, Kokomorel, AIM and 2 others like this.

3. Assimilation

Assimilation Young Morel

Hey all, second year Hunter here. I was getting worried I had missed the bounty this year but I picked 7 growing along a bike path this morning in Marathon county. I had my two year old with me and he started to lose it so I had to turn around but on the way back I spotted two more patches to search thoroughly later. All morels I spotted were on the South side at the grassline in open, sunny areas.

Attached Files:

3ric4 likes this.
  4. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

20190525_182008.jpg 20190525_181229.jpg 20190525_180849.jpg

Not posting these to brag, (maybe a little), but mainly to show what public lands, (YES, THESE ALL CAME OFF PUBLIC ACCESS), can yield. I may have had to walk a little farther, and got a little torn up from the brush, but they are out there. Saw vehicles parked at this access point all week on way to work, and there were 3 trucks here and followed a VW van in when I went out today, but kinda figured they wouldn't venture out to the spots I was fairly certain I would find . . . And low and behold, here they were. Even heard others walking and talking maybe 200 yds away, walking the easy logging roads, as I was filling bags, and eventually my t-shirt to carry out my haul.

5. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

20190525_145433.jpg Screenshot_20190525-211533_Gallery.jpg

Pretty much everything today were bigfoots, all on East slope. And actually had to crumble and disperse about 2 dozen past prime. This may be the beginning of the end. Hoping for at least 1 more week to 10 days of North facing area production. But from what experience has taught me, that may be wishful thinking. Once they are done, they are done. Best of luck to all, and take a moment whilst out in the woods to reflect and remember those no longer with us this Memorial Day Weekend.

6. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

good job

1 person likes this.
  7. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

1 person likes this.
  8. Elevatorguy

Elevatorguy Morel Enthusiast

Big ones in the valley today

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  9. M3Shell

M3Shell Morel Enthusiast

Thanks!! I noticed it takes a trained eye. I'll be walking between elms, and just when a get discouraged, I find a couple where I'd least expect them. Thanks again!

10. gold diggers

gold diggers Morel Connoisseur

When an elm dies it hosts a morel that helps return the elm's nutrients back to the earth. The new generation of elm depend on these recycled nutrients to thrive. In a way the dying elm becomes immortal. What is the fate of the morel hunter? We are like the dying elm. If we pass on to the next generation what we ourselves have learned from the woods, we too, in a way, become immortal. These are my grandchildren learning to find morels. They have been spending more time in the woods than in front of the TV. When I am gone, they will represent me in making policy decisions involving the environment. I can't think of a better way to leave something good behind.

Attached Files:

• 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      185.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      194 KB
      Views:
    3ric4, LoHaze, Already Gone and 4 others like this.
  11. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Nice, totally agree.
    A gift that’s just gets better & better.

12. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Wow great post gold. I guess I failed to get my son hooked on shrooming, but he will take a hike. I wish he was going with me like I got to go with my dad and grandfather. But I will keep my fingers crossed on grand kids. A friend has started his out young by hiding them in the grass in his yard, I thought that was a brilliant idea, wish I had been smart enough to think about it.

1 person likes this.
  13. Jasers

Jasers Young Morel

My Grandad was a true woodsman, utilizing all that he could sustainably harvest(before it was cool). One missing piece in my experience was the elusive Morel. Went out on my back 40 tonight and feel like I hit the jackpot. I noticed a couple while taking my son for a tractor ride the other day and decided to go back to that spot. My first morel harvest...and it only took 30min! All in about 1 acre...I need to go check for more.
    Blessed.

Attached Files:

14. Rachael O

Rachael O Young Morel

Can someone tell me if you can find true models next to or in the same forest as false morels?

Thanks!

15. jg010682

jg010682 Morel Connoisseur

Just wondering if someone could inform me on the use of public lands in Wisconsin for foraging just lookin to come across the border to pick some morels.

16. Already Gone

Already Gone Morel Connoisseur

Absolutely.
    I have seen them within steps of each other.
    The falsies are a bit earlier usually, but they do coexist for a brief period.

1 person likes this.
  17. BigEd

BigEd Young Morel

IMG_1043.jpg
    Found some nice ones today. Buffalo County, South facing slopes.

18. BigEd

BigEd Young Morel

58084080662__EB180369-7280-4A6F-AB8E-A66F8E421BFD.JPG

19. La Crosse Hunter

La Crosse Hunter Young Morel

Had a great night in the bluffs last night. Pics are of some of the 5-1/2 lbs I found in 2 hours. One of my best days ever and have had a good season. Roughly 15 lbs.

Attached Files:

Inthewild and Jennifer Ferrante like this.
  20. LoHaze

LoHaze Morel Enthusiast

Woah!!