Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
301 - 320 of 352 Posts
Hello everyone,

I've hunted morels many times in my folks' woods in southern Indiana, and never saw one that wasn't pointed out to me... ;^)

That lack of success dovetailed perfectly with my lack of imagination that morels might be found, literally, in my own backyard in Wisconsin.

For 10 years, we've lived on 5 wooded acres in western Dane County and I've been all through the woods over the years--but at the wrong times--making firewood. There are elms a-plenty, standing and fallen dead ones, and young live ones.

For the first time, I've been in the woods (it's been called "oak savannah" by a state forester) this early, enough to see mayapples sprout up in rings around the elms, and for also the first time, have at least a suspicion that morels ought to be there which informs and inspires my hunting.

My parents have passed on, and I'll hunt morels in their memory, but it sure would be nice if I could find one on my own before I go too... :^)

In fact, I won't post an avatar until I find that first one. I've missed any reports from Dane County.

If you've hunted here, I'd appreciate both your general opinions and specific advices.

Thank you. Glad to have stumbled, at least, upon morels.com. It's a good start.

Hey all, second year Hunter here. I was getting worried I had missed the bounty this year but I picked 7 growing along a bike path this morning in Marathon county. I had my two year old with me and he started to lose it so I had to turn around but on the way back I spotted two more patches to search thoroughly later. All morels I spotted were on the South side at the grassline in open, sunny areas.

Attachments

Electronics Technology Room Gas Ceiling
Teddy bear Stuffed toy Toy
Matsutake Insect emperor moths

Not posting these to brag, (maybe a little), but mainly to show what public lands, (YES, THESE ALL CAME OFF PUBLIC ACCESS), can yield. I may have had to walk a little farther, and got a little torn up from the brush, but they are out there. Saw vehicles parked at this access point all week on way to work, and there were 3 trucks here and followed a VW van in when I went out today, but kinda figured they wouldn't venture out to the spots I was fairly certain I would find . . . And low and behold, here they were. Even heard others walking and talking maybe 200 yds away, walking the easy logging roads, as I was filling bags, and eventually my t-shirt to carry out my haul.

Vegetation Plant Soil Leaf Grass
Hand Finger Food Cuisine Dish

Pretty much everything today were bigfoots, all on East slope. And actually had to crumble and disperse about 2 dozen past prime. This may be the beginning of the end. Hoping for at least 1 more week to 10 days of North facing area production. But from what experience has taught me, that may be wishful thinking. Once they are done, they are done. Best of luck to all, and take a moment whilst out in the woods to reflect and remember those no longer with us this Memorial Day Weekend.

View attachment 21382 View attachment 21384 View attachment 21386

Not posting these to brag, (maybe a little), but mainly to show what public lands, (YES, THESE ALL CAME OFF PUBLIC ACCESS), can yield. I may have had to walk a little farther, and got a little torn up from the brush, but they are out there. Saw vehicles parked at this access point all week on way to work, and there were 3 trucks here and followed a VW van in when I went out today, but kinda figured they wouldn't venture out to the spots I was fairly certain I would find . . . And low and behold, here they were. Even heard others walking and talking maybe 200 yds away, walking the easy logging roads, as I was filling bags, and eventually my t-shirt to carry out my haul.
good job

Yes, pull back grasses, leaves, sticks, fallen bark, get down on your hands and knees, look at different angles. You'd be suprised by how many most people walk by and never see. I take different people out every year and make the bet that I can pick more following 30 yards behind them than they find, and typically win that bet. Takes time to train the eye, but once you get versed enough, they seem to "magically appear" where others walk right through.
Thanks!! I noticed it takes a trained eye. I'll be walking between elms, and just when a get discouraged, I find a couple where I'd least expect them. Thanks again!

When an elm dies it hosts a morel that helps return the elm's nutrients back to the earth. The new generation of elm depend on these recycled nutrients to thrive. In a way the dying elm becomes immortal. What is the fate of the morel hunter? We are like the dying elm. If we pass on to the next generation what we ourselves have learned from the woods, we too, in a way, become immortal. These are my grandchildren learning to find morels. They have been spending more time in the woods than in front of the TV. When I am gone, they will represent me in making policy decisions involving the environment. I can't think of a better way to leave something good behind.

Attachments

Wow great post gold. I guess I failed to get my son hooked on shrooming, but he will take a hike. I wish he was going with me like I got to go with my dad and grandfather. But I will keep my fingers crossed on grand kids. A friend has started his out young by hiding them in the grass in his yard, I thought that was a brilliant idea, wish I had been smart enough to think about it.

My Grandad was a true woodsman, utilizing all that he could sustainably harvest(before it was cool). One missing piece in my experience was the elusive Morel. Went out on my back 40 tonight and feel like I hit the jackpot. I noticed a couple while taking my son for a tractor ride the other day and decided to go back to that spot. My first morel harvest...and it only took 30min! All in about 1 acre...I need to go check for more.
Blessed.

Attachments

I believe Morels just don't "pop"; however, 3 days ago when I checked a sweet spot there was nothing. Today (5/29) I picked 3 pounds of morels from the very same location and they were all fresh. I have yet to come across an old one.

Attachments

301 - 320 of 352 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.