Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
321 - 340 of 352 Posts
Beneath the earth lies a "spider web" of tissue called a mycelium. It is interconnected to a living elm host from which it receives newly produced spring sap in exchange for nutrients that it releases from the soil into the living elm's roots. When there is a disruption in this symbiotic and mutual relationship such as a disease like Dutch Elm, the mycelium reacts by shooting up a reproductive structure called a Morel. The mycelium is simply attempting to insure its survival by doing this before the elm is dead. The mystery about this for the morel hunter is trying to find the elm that is in the process of dying; not dead but dying. Today, I found an elm that had some live branches mixed with a few dead ones. Beneath it were several fresh morels.

Dinner! After romping around in the woods today, this cuisine was my reward. These are all sources of Wisconsin wild edibles I gathered: wild asparagus, venison steak( harvested from my farm during the 9 day gun hunt), morels, and the bread which was made from Wisconsin cranberries and wild rice. A glass of Door County cherry wine washed it all down.

Attachments

Nice pics showing up, some largest I've ever seen. Thanks!

I think it's over on my property. Last weekend I found four large ones right next to my driveway (nowhere near as large as the photos above). Funny, that was just two days after I harvested that spot!!

Hey, if anyone is still watching, I had a neighbor say this, and I saw it on a website dedicated to spotting elms for morels. Had anyone seen them under Ash trees? I've heard that from two sources now, but I'm doubtful. My property is too densely wooded to tell, but it would be nice with the quantity of ash in Wisconsin dying off right now.

Have you heard that? Have you seen any morels under Ash?

I wish you all a great year! See ya next year!

321 - 340 of 352 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.