Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
341 - 352 of 352 Posts
they grow where they grow I guess gold. As elm get harder to find, I have started looking around trees I never would have before. Conifers in general are supposed to produce. Don't know about buckthorn. Don't have it down here. I have found them in long grass no trees. Monsters you have there. Been growing a long time for a morel.

Morels the size of softballs. The mother lode of 5 pounds I picked today were spread across the forest floor. I looked for elm and couldn't find any. Any thoughts on this from my friends in this forum?
I went back today to look the area over again and located several living and dead elm that were the catalyst for such a sweet harvest. I will soon be tossing my schrooming clothes in the wash machine signaling the close of a successful morel season here in southern Wisconsin

Nice pics showing up, some largest I've ever seen. Thanks!

I think it's over on my property. Last weekend I found four large ones right next to my driveway (nowhere near as large as the photos above). Funny, that was just two days after I harvested that spot!!

Hey, if anyone is still watching, I had a neighbor say this, and I saw it on a website dedicated to spotting elms for morels. Had anyone seen them under Ash trees? I've heard that from two sources now, but I'm doubtful. My property is too densely wooded to tell, but it would be nice with the quantity of ash in Wisconsin dying off right now.

Have you heard that? Have you seen any morels under Ash?

I wish you all a great year! See ya next year!
Here in northern Michigan white ash is the goto and produces prodigious amounts of white morels. We find them around both dead and alive ash but live ash usually produces much larger size and quantity. It was the most tremendous year I have ever seen this year.

I have found more venison, (fawns) and unfortunately pheasant back by the hundreds of pounds. Wish they were morels. Can't complain, good, not great, season. Side note. I dropped off some morels for a fishing buddy who hasn't had them for 20 years. Got some home grown shiitake shrooms in return. Not my thing but enjoyed the experience.

Attachments

Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Vegetarian food
Cuisine Dish Food Ingredient Frying

Last meal of the fresh morels this spring. Great season, weather patterns were near perfect. Not the best year I've ever had, but above average for sure.
Mushroom False morel Shiitake Medicinal mushroom Oyster mushroom

First blacks, April 24th, a solid 5-6 weeks of picking, can't ask for much more. Ate a ton, gave away even more, dried a few pounds, and canned about 20 lbs to get me through the year. Here's to starting the countdown (I imagine T minus 10 months) for the 2020 Wisconsin morel season forum. See ya next year!

Glad I found this site. Been looking for morels a few years. Finally found some this year. First was a small guy by some pines memorial weekend, then this past weekend spotted some nice ones walking my dog in Oconto Co. So relieved to finally have found some .

Spent many hours this year in the woods searching with no luck.

Just now really starting to learn tree identification and stuff. Sad the season is probably just about over but pretty sure I'll have better luck next year Cereal
Mushroom Ingredient Food Fungus Matsutake

Glad I found this site. Been looking for morels a few years. Finally found some this year. First was a small guy by some pines memorial weekend, then this past weekend spotted some nice ones walking my dog in Oconto Co. So relieved to finally have found some .

Spent many hours this year in the woods searching with no luck.

Just now really starting to learn tree identification and stuff. Sad the season is probably just about over but pretty sure I'll have better luck next year View attachment 21960 View attachment 21962
Done for this year, but now the really good variety of summer/fall mushroom’s get going. Chanterelles,lobster, old men,hedgehogs, COW’s ect,ect, Up next. Enjoy & welcome to the site.

341 - 352 of 352 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.