2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. WisconsinMorels

WisconsinMorels Morel Enthusiast

I'm looking forward to it. Won't be long now. Hope everyone has had a great winter. About time for spring to finally... well... spring!

2 people like this.
  2. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

cant wait to hook up with you again OldElm, and adriana, its always sort of a guess but usually 3rd week is pretty safe. I wonder how deep the frost is, got pretty cold before the snow came, lots of flooding this year I bet.

1 person likes this.

3. pikemen7

pikemen7 Morel Enthusiast

I have heard from some of my excavator buddy three to five feet depending on where you are that's for southeastern Wisconsin I'm sure it's more towards the high-end up north. We will definitely be several weeks yet before you see your first morel

4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

937DD176-98E8-437A-9B58-29F0670D6174.jpeg Finding some good O’le Elms, Frost is coming out just right & snow pack is melting slowly. Perfect setup for morels. The bark is a good example of dead American Elm. 96BADFF2-8245-4160-9C14-5685BFD43563.jpeg C647A0CF-E2D8-45BD-9FEB-8AA2DB13073A.jpeg

5. pikemen7

pikemen7 Morel Enthusiast

Weather is cooperating in southeastern Wisconsin for a normal start to the season somewhere around mid to late April I would guess

6. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Needing a massage since I traveled 150 miles with my eyes and neck on a swivel.

2 people like this.
  7. Old Elm

:cool: Oh yeah, do I ever get that!
    Glad ya didn’t hit the ditch or any mail boxes. :)

8. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

The anticipation is growing by the minute so I thought i'd share my recent morel gear purchase for anyone trying to figure out a better way to haul the haul.

Bought a cooler backpack from eddie baeur for $25. Can fit 3 empty 42 oz oatmeal containers inside. Crush proof place for a good sized batch of shrooms.

Before you get all spore-y on me, I have used a mesh bag one year and it never ended well. My beautiful morels were trashed by the time I got back. I go through so much thick, hard to penetrate sections that it was constantly getting hung up on everything. Not fun.

Good luck to everyone this season! As usual, i'll most likely post honest pics of my first few finds and then fade into the background as the season gets hot.

Rook

Attached Files:

9. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

looks good to me.

1 person likes this.
  10. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

Yo. Bring it. Lots of wet up here in NE Wisconsin.

First few weeks of May I will be missing season here. Maybe I can find some in Patagonia ? Lol

2 people like this.
  11. avngal

avngal Morel Enthusiast

Yeah, I was rubber necking some elms while driving in the rain and hit a curb...blew the sidewall of one of my tires! Sounded like a bomb going off. Was not even in my home state. Haha. Quite the adventure that day...spent getting a new tire instead of picking.

12. avngal

avngal Morel Enthusiast

2-3 week in May should be good. This year is moving right along with the progression.

2 people like this.
  13. avngal

avngal Morel Enthusiast

Fun! Take lots of pictures.

2 people like this.
  14. avngal

avngal Morel Enthusiast

Thanks, you too!

1 person likes this.
  15. Old Elm

Avngal, keep us posted on your progress down there, we’re usually about 8 days behind you & appreciate your input.
    THX’z

1 person likes this.
  16. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

Just finished up bottling my maple syrup and pulling all taps and here you guys are already 3 months into morel discussions, ha! So now I transfer my eyes from looking at maple trees while driving to looking for elms.

2 people like this.
  17. Old Elm

Glad you’re back & trust you had an awesome Sap Season, we sure did up here.

18. twisted minds

Old Elm, last picture looks more like it may be an ash tree that has been infested with the emerald ash borer than an elm. There are an increasing number of trees with this damaged bark pattern and only going to be getting worse.

1 person likes this.
  19. Old Elm

They’re both Elm, I don’t hunt ash trees at all. Up close the difference in the bark is very obvious as you well know. Ash bark also doesn’t have the Kit -Kat bar layering when ya snap it in half. ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. twisted minds

Not the best sap season ever, also not the worst. Just nice to be out in the woods, and I know that when sap stops running, start of morels isn't far behind!

1 person likes this.