2019 Wisconsin Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by avngal, Jan 23, 2019.

1. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I'd still take a mesh bag just in case you find the mother load. Don't make a rookie mistake 3 miles in and not be able to get your haul out. I always take at least two mesh bags and several plastic Walmart sacks just in case. Plan C is to tie a knot in my tee shirt and use it as a bag. Good luck.

4 people like this.
  2. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

Oh yes. I just didn't know if the bark cross sample came from first tree. Hard to tell from looking at picture on a little screen, kinda looked like lots of woodpecker holes picking out ash borer larvae. I certainly believe you that it's an elm. One "Old Elm" can always spot another old elm!!! Best of luck to ya this year, look forward to your posts and finds.

2 people like this.

3. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

I have quite a few sugar maples on my property, how many do you need to make it worth tapping them?

4. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

You too, hope this is your best season ever.

5. twisted minds

On a good year, with good sugar percentages in sap, you can get 1/2 gallon or more of syrup (20 gallons or more of sap) per tap with sugar maples.

1 person likes this.
  6. twisted minds

image.jpeg
    That may be a little greedy on my part if it is. I was lucky enough to hit the real "motherload" we all dream of 4 years ago. Over 80 lbs. in one area size of about half a football field. I can hope for better, but if I never see that again I wouldn't be surprised. Hope you and all the other morel.com members get the chance to experience something similiar.

5 people like this.
  7. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Do you have more than one tap per maple?

8. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

That's epic, if that ever happens again call me to help relieve you of guilt you now must live with alone.

9. twisted minds

Depending on size of tree. General rule of thumb, 12" minimum diameter for 1 tap, 18"-24" can handle 2, some people don't like more than 2 taps per tree, some are ok doing more on larger trees with multiple trunks. Generally though, you don't get twice as much just by doubling up taps. Tree is only going to produce so much sap per day per season and it differs. Also want to consider the health of tree and not cause harm. A good site to follow is mapletrader.com (hope it's ok to that post website here). Much like morels.com, lots of good information and helpful friendly members willing to share and help newcomers and veterans alike. It's funny, just the other day I was talking about maple season winding down and looking forward to morel season on that website, and directed someone to this site to learn more about morels.

1 person likes this.
  10. br5

br5 Morel Connoisseur

Thanks for the info and site to check out. I'd really like to make my own maple syrup.

1 person likes this.
  11. morelmaniacmn

morelmaniacmn Morel Connoisseur

Now that is a true "motherload"!!! One day...

12. rookiemistake19

rookiemistake19 Morel Connoisseur

Good tip! Thanks much and good luck this season.

1 person likes this.
  13. avngal

avngal Morel Enthusiast

51914197-E221-4F34-AA40-FF4E1CBA73CE.jpeg A7E25D9E-9D28-42E0-A042-8BC71A04901F.jpeg 1137662C-A8F8-4E71-B36E-9865C38EF311.jpeg 51914197-E221-4F34-AA40-FF4E1CBA73CE.jpeg A7E25D9E-9D28-42E0-A042-8BC71A04901F.jpeg 1137662C-A8F8-4E71-B36E-9865C38EF311.jpeg Getting pummeled with an April snowstorm here in WI today so spending my time looking at morel progression maps and watching youtube videos of our friends down south picking. Oh the pain! Hahaha. Few more weeks and I will be heading to Illinois to follow em up. May even do the UP this year and some burn sites. Got a nice mess of ramps yesterday. Cooked some up with a Wisconsin Wagyu beef New York strip. Froze the rest of the ramps for when I can cook them with some shrooms.

14. Old Elm

Nice Ramp’s avngal! We still got a lotta snow in the woods yet, but won’t be long.
    Dang I can almost taste & smell those Ramps - so hungry now!

1 person likes this.
  15. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Good Morning Wisconsin !
    Wade here !
    how's the Japanese spam looking this morning?

Caitlinmc likes this.
  16. Shroomtrooper 1

Shroomtrooper 1 Morel Connoisseur

Steak and ramps, boy hard to beat.

2 people like this.
  17. WisconsinMorels

WisconsinMorels Morel Enthusiast

I'm excited to be getting out soon. This weather the next week looks terriffic! Buttons should be coming up fast. This year may be prime by about the 1st or 2nd week of may for the southern half of the state I would think.

Also, just to share. Wisconsin did have it's first find in Door County of a Black on 04/07/2019. Not by myself but by an avid hunter that lives up there. Those microclimates up there are weird and allow for that.

18. Old Elm

Oh say there, now so to speak isn’t that interesting news so far on this season right now today in Door County good deal that’s for sure. THX’z for the info.

19. Caitlinmc

Caitlinmc Young Morel

Excited for the morel season this year!

20. WisconsinMorels

WisconsinMorels Morel Enthusiast

If you were interested in the photo of them. I hope they survived the cold snap but somewhat doubtful. I don't think she has gone back out since then though.

1 person likes this.