Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 354 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
The anticipation is growing by the minute so I thought i'd share my recent morel gear purchase for anyone trying to figure out a better way to haul the haul.

Bought a cooler backpack from eddie baeur for $25. Can fit 3 empty 42 oz oatmeal containers inside. Crush proof place for a good sized batch of shrooms.

Before you get all spore-y on me, I have used a mesh bag one year and it never ended well. My beautiful morels were trashed by the time I got back. I go through so much thick, hard to penetrate sections that it was constantly getting hung up on everything. Not fun.

Good luck to everyone this season! As usual, i'll most likely post honest pics of my first few finds and then fade into the background as the season gets hot.

Rook
I'd still take a mesh bag just in case you find the mother load. Don't make a rookie mistake 3 miles in and not be able to get your haul out. I always take at least two mesh bags and several plastic Walmart sacks just in case. Plan C is to tie a knot in my tee shirt and use it as a bag. Good luck.

·
Registered
160 Posts
They’re both Elm, I don’t hunt ash trees at all. Up close the difference in the bark is very obvious as you well know. Ash bark also doesn’t have the Kit -Kat bar layering when ya snap it in half. ;)
Oh yes. I just didn't know if the bark cross sample came from first tree. Hard to tell from looking at picture on a little screen, kinda looked like lots of woodpecker holes picking out ash borer larvae. I certainly believe you that it's an elm. One "Old Elm" can always spot another old elm!!! Best of luck to ya this year, look forward to your posts and finds.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not the best sap season ever, also not the worst. Just nice to be out in the woods, and I know that when sap stops running, start of morels isn't far behind!
I have quite a few sugar maples on my property, how many do you need to make it worth tapping them?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Oh yes. I just didn't know if the bark cross sample came from first tree. Hard to tell from looking at picture on a little screen, kinda looked like lots of woodpecker holes picking out ash borer larvae. I certainly believe you that it's an elm. One "Old Elm" can always spot another old elm!!! Best of luck to ya this year, look forward to your posts and finds.
You too, hope this is your best season ever.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have quite a few sugar maples on my property, how many do you need to make it worth tapping them?
On a good year, with good sugar percentages in sap, you can get 1/2 gallon or more of syrup (20 gallons or more of sap) per tap with sugar maples.

·
Registered
160 Posts
image.jpeg
You too, hope this is your best season ever.
That may be a little greedy on my part if it is. I was lucky enough to hit the real "motherload" we all dream of 4 years ago. Over 80 lbs. in one area size of about half a football field. I can hope for better, but if I never see that again I wouldn't be surprised. Hope you and all the other morel.com members get the chance to experience something similiar.

·
Registered
724 Posts
View attachment 14274
That may be a little greedy on my part if it is. I was lucky enough to hit the real "motherload" we all dream of 4 years ago. Over 80 lbs. in one area size of about half a football field. I can hope for better, but if I never see that again I wouldn't be surprised. Hope you and all the other morel.com members get the chance to experience something similiar.
That's epic, if that ever happens again call me to help relieve you of guilt you now must live with alone.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Do you have more than one tap per maple?
Depending on size of tree. General rule of thumb, 12" minimum diameter for 1 tap, 18"-24" can handle 2, some people don't like more than 2 taps per tree, some are ok doing more on larger trees with multiple trunks. Generally though, you don't get twice as much just by doubling up taps. Tree is only going to produce so much sap per day per season and it differs. Also want to consider the health of tree and not cause harm. A good site to follow is mapletrader.com (hope it's ok to that post website here). Much like morels.com, lots of good information and helpful friendly members willing to share and help newcomers and veterans alike. It's funny, just the other day I was talking about maple season winding down and looking forward to morel season on that website, and directed someone to this site to learn more about morels.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Depending on size of tree. General rule of thumb, 12" minimum diameter for 1 tap, 18"-24" can handle 2, some people don't like more than 2 taps per tree, some are ok doing more on larger trees with multiple trunks. Generally though, you don't get twice as much just by doubling up taps. Tree is only going to produce so much sap per day per season and it differs. Also want to consider the health of tree and not cause harm. A good site to follow is mapletrader.com (hope it's ok to that post website here). Much like morels.com, lots of good information and helpful friendly members willing to share and help newcomers and veterans alike. It's funny, just the other day I was talking about maple season winding down and looking forward to morel season on that website, and directed someone to this site to learn more about morels.
Thanks for the info and site to check out. I'd really like to make my own maple syrup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd still take a mesh bag just in case you find the mother load. Don't make a rookie mistake 3 miles in and not be able to get your haul out. I always take at least two mesh bags and several plastic Walmart sacks just in case. Plan C is to tie a knot in my tee shirt and use it as a bag. Good luck.
Good tip! Thanks much and good luck this season.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
51914197-E221-4F34-AA40-FF4E1CBA73CE.jpeg A7E25D9E-9D28-42E0-A042-8BC71A04901F.jpeg 1137662C-A8F8-4E71-B36E-9865C38EF311.jpeg
51914197-E221-4F34-AA40-FF4E1CBA73CE.jpeg
A7E25D9E-9D28-42E0-A042-8BC71A04901F.jpeg
1137662C-A8F8-4E71-B36E-9865C38EF311.jpeg
Getting pummeled with an April snowstorm here in WI today so spending my time looking at morel progression maps and watching youtube videos of our friends down south picking. Oh the pain! Hahaha. Few more weeks and I will be heading to Illinois to follow em up. May even do the UP this year and some burn sites. Got a nice mess of ramps yesterday. Cooked some up with a Wisconsin Wagyu beef New York strip. Froze the rest of the ramps for when I can cook them with some shrooms.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nice Ramp’s avngal! We still got a lotta snow in the woods yet, but won’t be long.
Dang I can almost taste & smell those Ramps - so hungry now!

·
Registered
515 Posts
View attachment 14732 View attachment 14734 View attachment 14736 View attachment 14732 View attachment 14734 View attachment 14736 Getting pummeled with an April snowstorm here in WI today so spending my time looking at morel progression maps and watching youtube videos of our friends down south picking. Oh the pain! Hahaha. Few more weeks and I will be heading to Illinois to follow em up. May even do the UP this year and some burn sites. Got a nice mess of ramps yesterday. Cooked some up with a Wisconsin Wagyu beef New York strip. Froze the rest of the ramps for when I can cook them with some shrooms.
Steak and ramps, boy hard to beat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm excited to be getting out soon. This weather the next week looks terriffic! Buttons should be coming up fast. This year may be prime by about the 1st or 2nd week of may for the southern half of the state I would think.

Also, just to share. Wisconsin did have it's first find in Door County of a Black on 04/07/2019. Not by myself but by an avid hunter that lives up there. Those microclimates up there are weird and allow for that.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm excited to be getting out soon. This weather the next week looks terriffic! Buttons should be coming up fast. This year may be prime by about the 1st or 2nd week of may for the southern half of the state I would think.

Also, just to share. Wisconsin did have it's first find in Door County of a Black on 04/07/2019. Not by myself but by an avid hunter that lives up there. Those microclimates up there are weird and allow for that.
Oh say there, now so to speak isn’t that interesting news so far on this season right now today in Door County good deal that’s for sure. THX’z for the info.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh say there, now so to speak isn’t that interesting news so far on this season right now today in Door County good deal that’s for sure. THX’z for the info.
If you were interested in the photo of them. I hope they survived the cold snap but somewhat doubtful. I don't think she has gone back out since then though.

41 - 60 of 354 Posts