Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
93K views 351 replies 53 participants last post by  freeflow581 
#1 ·
False morel Fungus Mushroom Agaricomycetes Plant
Well, the anticipation has begun. Please post your Wisconsin shroom hopes, your finds and any crazy fun right here!

See less See more
#57 ·
I'm excited to be getting out soon. This weather the next week looks terriffic! Buttons should be coming up fast. This year may be prime by about the 1st or 2nd week of may for the southern half of the state I would think.

Also, just to share. Wisconsin did have it's first find in Door County of a Black on 04/07/2019. Not by myself but by an avid hunter that lives up there. Those microclimates up there are weird and allow for that.

#63 ·
I have a love-hate relationship with mushroom season....on my way home I became distracted by you know one of those gorgeous trees looked like it was fairly easy to get to at first, then I realized it must have been at the bottom of a valley so of course I got me a good walking stick climbed up the first Hill and down into the first Valley and then the second hill made it to the top of the Third and lost my balance slid all the way to the bottom lol only to find one lonely mushroom needless to say I had to go in the daycare to pick up my stepson covered in mud
#justashroomin

#69 ·
Ha, I have only been to your spots, boy that climb last year got my heart pounding. I kind of started to panic last year, had trouble finding any morels, spots I have found them where dying out. But then found 3 or so spots that made up the bulk of the year. Was very dry for awhile tho. This year ( cross your fingers) is shaping up to be a very good, no, great year. Old Elm cant wait to hook up again. Maybe you should head out my way. do not take vacation too early I always think, but your always a week earlier than me. I really, really want to go up north and get some blacks, but even tho they come up in cooler soil temps it turns out they come up at the same time , what to do. Last time I went up north(only time) for blacks I only found 7. But it was fun and not one person. Way harder to spot when there small. Well good luck to all, hey where is Buckthornman Old Elm? Sure would like to hear from him.

#70 ·
Was looking back at old posts. It was two years ago today, April 21 2017, that I took the picture with the antlers that I'm using as my avatar. That's really getting me antsy along with this weekends warm weather. I'm hoping next weekend will start finding some early blacks. May poke around woods mid week to see how ramps are looking. As the monkey said when he got his tail caught in the lawnmower, "it won't be long now"!

#73 ·
Soil Tree Grass Vehicle Technology
If 55 degrees is the magic number we are looking for then our area is getting close to time. We have 2 1/2 days of upper 60s to low 70s along with some rain! This picture is from a south facing slope 4” deep in the soil in la crosse county. The ground temp in my yard on a south facing slope was 1 degree warmer than the slope in the woods.

#78 ·
My love hate relationship with morel season is real now....had to leave work early today because my feet are in HORRIFIC pain, started Easter Sunday out shouting we were finding fresh greys everywhere when my brilliant husband says hey let's go to "the spot" I HATE THE SPOT in my five yrs of going there we've only found mushrooms once but last year the day after we were there someone scored 60 lb and my husband once hit a motherlode there , it really is a spot ppl come out with killer finds just happens we haven't hit yet, anyhow he seemed to think it'd be time there
So worst part you have to park a mile away from the spot you can even get in the woods, and it is an easy walk until the way back after hours an hours of hiking in the woods you get to climb that hill all the way back a mile to the truck lol but that's nothing this spot takes an hour n 30 min to hike to and that's because it's a swampland u cannot avoid then steep hills to get to a huge flatland so my feet were soaking wet all day climbing hills and endless miles went In woods 8am with wet feet came out 6:50 with that mile up hill to the truck left and NOT A SINGLE SHROOM FROM THE SPOT! HOWEVER MY FEET ARE BLOOD RED RAW
Mushroom season has officially begun

#104 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.