Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to start paying attention in central Alabama. Have found them at my extreme early spot 2/25 and 2/27 the last 2 years in a row.. We have plenty of moisture and ground is above avg temp for this time of year. Good luck hunting to all. Lets see who gets the first east of the Mississippi!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chonas , I agree, first Alabama fruit will be late Feb or early March... But thats the extreme early action.. heart of season is March 15- April 5 in Bham and 6-10 days later in Huntsville

·
Registered
544 Posts
Chonas , I agree, first Alabama fruit will be late Feb or early March... But thats the extreme early action.. heart of season is March 15- April 5 in Bham and 6-10 days later in Huntsville
Interesting. I'm 67 and only been hunting 10-12 years. There are guys up here in NE Ohio who will swear that the height of the season is mid April! I've concluded that's a bunch of hooey! I've found them as late as May 27 up here! Never found one earlier that late April. Of course it depends on that year's conditions. One year we had warm temps in the 80's in early March. Went out looking and found nothing. Two weeks later we had freezing temps and snow! Went out at the usual times and still found nothing! Worst year for morels that I can remember.

I like watching the southern boards this time of year, to follow the progression northward.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A documented find in Aiken Co. SC, just across the river from Augusta, GA., yesterday, 2/14. And a guy posted photos of 3 he claimed he picked on Wednesday evening, 2/13/20, in Madison County, GA., just north of Athens; all posted on the GA. board on this site. I bet they are findable south of Birmingham around right now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Amazing weve had Feb morels, I know 3 straight years now. Its probably a function of more hunters aware to look early and being active on this site.. We will catch an old school winter one year though and be wandering if we can find a first by March 15th,,LOL

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Based on the SCarolina finds, I did an average of the 11 day average soil temps from Feb 6 - Feb 16 for Augusta, Ga., and my spot near Bham.. Augusta was 55.6 and Bham spot was 51.5. Also, did Mtg, Al. Mtg was 55.1 for the same period... I will be going to check my best Bham early spot today however. Dont expect them, but it is time to start checking.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Based on the SCarolina finds, I did an average of the 11 day average soil temps from Feb 6 - Feb 16 for Augusta, Ga., and my spot near Bham.. Augusta was 55.6 and Bham spot was 51.5. Also, did Mtg, Al. Mtg was 55.1 for the same period... I will be going to check my best Bham early spot today however. Dont expect them, but it is time to start checking.
I live in the Atlanta area, and the weather forecast right now for this coming Friday morning (or is it over Saturday night?) is for a low of 26 degrees...not so good.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Checked my best early spot this morning (2/17), nothing up yet here south of Bham. Based on weather and forecasts should start last few days of Feb or first few days of March...

·
Registered
1 Posts
May be silly to some but I was not aware we had morels in Alabama. Something made me google it and found this site. I live just north of Huntsville Al at the base of the mountain in New Market. Sounds like it’s about time to be on the look out. Any suggestions on Where to look for these gems?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yea usually around running creeks and surrounding banks sometimes several 100 feet from creek, sycamore mainly but look around elm, of course that’s just a guide;) Morels will do what they in unsuspecting area, also likes disrupted areas!!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@judymoon, i agree with all you said; including elm and sycamore. I would add ash and hackberry trees. Dead elms are #1. Living trees rank ash, elm/hackberry, then sycamore; at least my experience of 11 years in Cen Ala. dead elms are rare.. ash, hackberry & sycamore are plentiful

·
Super Moderator
1,927 Posts
seems like the right timing for Yall down there...is anyone ?
headed for the woods today !
You won't know if You don't Go !

·
Registered
77 Posts
It looks like it's going to rain for almost 24 hours, uninterruptedly (And it is raining right now). And then the temps are going to be around 26 degrees on each of the next two nights. Not all that promising right now...

·
Registered
77 Posts
@judymoon, i agree with all you said; including elm and sycamore. I would add ash and hackberry trees. Dead elms are #1. Living trees rank ash, elm/hackberry, then sycamore; at least my experience of 11 years in Cen Ala. dead elms are rare.. ash, hackberry & sycamore are plentiful
Privet is something they seem to like a lot, and it is pretty thick around most streams in the South nowadays.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wade, cool air seems to be invading and no mid-60s or higher for highs til maybe the first of March. Were forecasted to have lows in the upper 20s 3 of the next 7 nights. I will be only going to change batteries in trailcam where I hope they will appear in a spot they have 3 yrs straight now

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes to all responses, the privet that are off creek banks have been good! I’m worried though, last year- I got half of what I usually get, last year we had flooding this year flooding! Wash away mycelium? Any thoughts? I’m on AL/TN state line I65

1 - 20 of 146 Posts