Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Judymoon i feel your pain. Though ive seen years seem perfect right as we knew it was on the edge of starting and then bust. And ive seen years were it seemed not gonna be too good then turn out great. And everything in between.. just keep the hope alive and spend a good amount of time hunting

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thoughts on timing for Central and North Alabama. I dont think anything has started near Bham or Central Ala.. With the forecast to be below avg thru the end of Feb, and the first shot at a warmup starting March 2nd, any early action may be march 5-8. Of course all weather dependent. The heart of season for central prob March 15- April 5. For N Alabama early action in the March 10-16 and heart of season March 22-April 10. And this is about average. We have been par or early since 2016 and it can get you to thinking theyll jump early. But it sure looks to be par or a touch later for 2020.. Happy Hunting, and enjoy the season and all the beauty and surprise it will bring..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yes to all responses, the privet that are off creek banks have been good! I’m worried though, last year- I got half of what I usually get, last year we had flooding this year flooding! Wash away mycelium? Any thoughts? I’m on AL/TN state line I65
I have read recently remarks on facebook that flooding "stunts" morel fruiting, for up to 3 years. I'm in N. GA., and the flooding last January and early February seemingly prevented fruiting in an area that I know has been producing morels for about 20 years. I saw nothing. I visited the same spot by the Oconee River last weekend, and the incredible rains from the week before had moved the sand around so much that it looked like dunes at the beach. So maybe those won't come up this year, either.

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Howdy Yall in Alabama @newtimmy @judymoon and Everyone!!
Wade here...
if you are Able...
Will Yall please repost some of your pictures and Reference of Last years
First Findings and Dates. from 2019.
Thank You

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Wade, unfotunately our moderator had to eliminate our 2019 thread, also, i switched phones and dont have my pics. 3 people found early morels in 2019 on Feb 21,23 and 24 near cen alabama/ Birmingham. Based on the current conditions & forecasts it looks like we will have our early spot finds in the March 4-8 range

·
Registered
694 Posts
Wade, unfotunately our moderator had to eliminate our 2019 thread, also, i switched phones and dont have my pics. 3 people found early morels in 2019 on Feb 21,23 and 24 near cen alabama/ Birmingham. Based on the current conditions & forecasts it looks like we will have our early spot finds in the March 4-8 range
Ty

·
Registered
77 Posts
2 people on the Alabama Mushroom Group on facebook reported finds yesterday, Tuesday, 2/25: one said she was "near Montevallo," and found one large one that had no sign of freezer burn; the other woman found about 3 near what I am pretty sure is Trussville, NE of Birmingham, and hers were frost-bitten on the tips. So yes, folks are finding them in Alabama now.

·
Registered
694 Posts
1393EAEB-0E1C-497D-8A78-134EF4706B45.png
C60A71FE-FC2B-4E74-9FAD-235A83D4F675.png
2 people on the Alabama Mushroom Group on facebook reported finds yesterday, Tuesday, 2/25: one said she was "near Montevallo," and found one large one that had no sign of freezer burn; the other woman found about 3 near what I am pretty sure is Trussville, NE of Birmingham, and hers were frost-bitten on the tips. So yes, folks are finding them in Alabama now.
Ya my wife text this to me
Was just looking at progression compared to last year

·
Registered
70 Posts
9DA4A1A1-098D-497A-B2E3-88E932B11594.jpeg 18D7762E-73B4-435C-A200-5B043FE846A1.jpeg I’m f
Howdy Yall in Alabama @newtimmy @judymoon and Everyone!!
Wade here...
if you are Able...
Will Yall please repost some of your pictures and Reference of Last years
First Findings and Dates. from 2019.
Thank You
18D7762E-73B4-435C-A200-5B043FE846A1.jpeg First find 2018 season March 22, last find 2018 April 13th got 100 total. 2019 first find March 29th last find was April 7th found 50 some of my early spots last yr did NOT fruit we had flooding here in Tennessee Valley aka North Central Ala

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Of course I threw in the chicken of the wood spring fruit, always when morels do, also get the fall COW variety!

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Now All of us ...Knowing that any prediction is just a Guess.. coupled with information and Our past seasons to compare it to...
Still i Feel compelled to post that...
from what i see and am Feeling is !!!
This looks like the Making of a Very Normal Season for Everyone of Us
from South and all the Way Northward
as Our Progression Pop Pop Pops.
but we just don't Really know, do we
as for what is Certain;
*The Mystery and Our Love of the Hunt
Will Always Be....
and in My Head and Heart I'm again and always, Waiting, Watching and Scouting and Hoping and Hunting & Hunting & Hunting, BELIEVEING and Knowing that one of these Seasons We Will all find Ourselves...
Out There Standing right in the middle of the Biggest Popping FLUSH of Morels and Fungi
that any of Us alive today have Ever seen..
" The Hundred Year Hunt "
i Remember My Great Grandad talking about it when i was just a Boy...
There were So.. So Many Morels its all They ate for Months... Any Place a They would step in the woods..
Morels Were Everywhere...
i Believe and am sure this Same ..
" Hundred Year Hunt "
will happen again in Our Time....
i Expect it.. i Have a Love for it..
" I Won't Know if I Don't Go "
So i keep Hunting....

·
Registered
824 Posts
You guys are making me antsy up here in NW. Mo.Going to be a while yet. Nice information. All the rain y'all have had it could be a great season. Some questions because I just like to talk morels. Do you have any cottonwood down that way? And what does a Privet look like? Are they like a smaller shrub? As far as the flooding, I think it matters how long the ground was under water, but just my opinion.

21 - 40 of 145 Posts