2020 Alabama Morel Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by newtimmy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Looking like 3/6 start in huntsville.

2 people like this.
  2. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Chonas, im near Bham and looked this morning at my best 2 early spots. Nothing yet. Thinking they may produce next week around March 4,5,6...

Tool fan and (deleted member) like this.

3. judymoon

judymoon Morel Connoisseur

yes we have cottonwood trees, yes privet Bush like but spacious if that makes since- google lol;) interesting thought on amount of time under water! Last yr seemed longer standing floods, this yr flash flood

2 people like this.
  4. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

new timmy, a little true story in relation to your post on flood levels. A few years back a buddy of mine drove over into Kansas near Lake Tuttle Creek. There had been a flood and all the rivers that flowed into it backed up. He had a contact who wanted to sell him morels since he buys them. Well a small stream had backed up past the treeline into fields of grass. All of the grass, don't know what kind, had morels growing in it. It was dead from the flood but we do not know if that was the reason or if the water had deposited the spores along the edge or what. The morels were everywhere but not in the trees nearer the river. It was weird, not a spot you would go look for morels. So far as we know the place has never had any more. although it did flood again last year so we might need to have a peek. The guys that found these did so by accident so far as I know. Just another weird morel story.

5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

judymoon, do you do any good on the cottonwood. They are a great morel producer up here in the midwest.

6. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I once saw a vid with Larry Lonik and a buddy harvesting a bumper crop out of a cow pasture! Craziest thing I'd ever seen. Then, a few years ago, I found some like that. Hiked into a new place having no idea what was there. Found some apple trees, dead elms and tulip trees. Nothing doing near the trees so I figured the place was a bust. Started hiking out and hit the last grassy stretch you have to cross to get out. Something in the corner of my eye caught my attention. I snapped around and there was a 7"-8" yellow growing in the grass! Nowhere near a tree. I slowed down and really started looking and found about a dozen prime ones. They were hard to spot because the grass was a foot tall easy.

7. judymoon

More like sycamore and elm but yes I’ve found them with cottonwood! I hunt in limestone county so hence the name;) lots of Limestone, creek bottoms more so than river, I’ve never found them on Elk River

8. newtimmy

Jk117 (?), jstasiak (?). Are either of you out there and morel hunting this year. I always value your updates and insight you two provide.. haller at us

9. newtimmy

Thoughts on timing for Alabama and the Southeast.. if you look at finds from February notice a crescent moon shape that peeks at Augusta, Ga and SE Oklahoma.. the bottom dips below ATL, BHM and near Jackson, MS. So much rain has fallen SC Miss, Cen Ala and toward ATL and ground temps are lower due to the saturation. Bhm, AtL and central Miss our season will start. It may be 5,,10,15 days based on forecast. Im not seeing more than a day or 3 in the low 70’s thru mid-March. The season could be well above average. I live in metro Bham and red buds are not even starting to bud. That will change in a week or 2. And then we ll beg for more rain and sunny days no higher than 77 degrees to extend the season.. Thoughts appreciated.. Happy Hunting

10. newtimmy

98C36FF5-11AF-4512-9D8F-317B432F7747.png

1 person likes this.
  11. newtimmy

Credit to Chris Matherly & morelmushroomhunting.com

1 person likes this.
  12. newtimmy

Credit for the screenshot of 2020 Feb. finds

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  13. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

EE5D9747-E7AB-48F7-BBAF-12E17106707B.png Here’s another Curtesy of my wife

3 people like this.
  14. judymoon

Near what city in n ala?

15. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

Idk was a Facebook post she seen

1 person likes this.
  16. judymoon

Idk still seems early but I’m going out to my early spot this weekend so we’ll see!!

17. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

You Won't Know If You Don't Go

18. newtimmy

Judymoon, I ll be checking my bests spots today near Bham. I will update win, lose or draw

Tool fan likes this.
  19. newtimmy

A559B762-4275-4E5A-8262-038EAB58E9A4.png Checked my best early spots this morning and found one baby, 3/5/20

20. newtimmy

Metro Bham, btw

eidolon likes this.