Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
You guys are making me antsy up here in NW. Mo.Going to be a while yet. Nice information. All the rain y'all have had it could be a great season. Some questions because I just like to talk morels. Do you have any cottonwood down that way? And what does a Privet look like? Are they like a smaller shrub? As far as the flooding, I think it matters how long the ground was under water, but just my opinion.
yes we have cottonwood trees, yes privet Bush like but spacious if that makes since- google lol;) interesting thought on amount of time under water! Last yr seemed longer standing floods, this yr flash flood

·
Registered
824 Posts
new timmy, a little true story in relation to your post on flood levels. A few years back a buddy of mine drove over into Kansas near Lake Tuttle Creek. There had been a flood and all the rivers that flowed into it backed up. He had a contact who wanted to sell him morels since he buys them. Well a small stream had backed up past the treeline into fields of grass. All of the grass, don't know what kind, had morels growing in it. It was dead from the flood but we do not know if that was the reason or if the water had deposited the spores along the edge or what. The morels were everywhere but not in the trees nearer the river. It was weird, not a spot you would go look for morels. So far as we know the place has never had any more. although it did flood again last year so we might need to have a peek. The guys that found these did so by accident so far as I know. Just another weird morel story.

·
Registered
552 Posts
new timmy, a little true story in relation to your post on flood levels. A few years back a buddy of mine drove over into Kansas near Lake Tuttle Creek. There had been a flood and all the rivers that flowed into it backed up. He had a contact who wanted to sell him morels since he buys them. Well a small stream had backed up past the treeline into fields of grass. All of the grass, don't know what kind, had morels growing in it. It was dead from the flood but we do not know if that was the reason or if the water had deposited the spores along the edge or what. The morels were everywhere but not in the trees nearer the river. It was weird, not a spot you would go look for morels. So far as we know the place has never had any more. although it did flood again last year so we might need to have a peek. The guys that found these did so by accident so far as I know. Just another weird morel story.
I once saw a vid with Larry Lonik and a buddy harvesting a bumper crop out of a cow pasture! Craziest thing I'd ever seen. Then, a few years ago, I found some like that. Hiked into a new place having no idea what was there. Found some apple trees, dead elms and tulip trees. Nothing doing near the trees so I figured the place was a bust. Started hiking out and hit the last grassy stretch you have to cross to get out. Something in the corner of my eye caught my attention. I snapped around and there was a 7"-8" yellow growing in the grass! Nowhere near a tree. I slowed down and really started looking and found about a dozen prime ones. They were hard to spot because the grass was a foot tall easy.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Jk117 (?), jstasiak (?). Are either of you out there and morel hunting this year. I always value your updates and insight you two provide.. haller at us

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thoughts on timing for Alabama and the Southeast.. if you look at finds from February notice a crescent moon shape that peeks at Augusta, Ga and SE Oklahoma.. the bottom dips below ATL, BHM and near Jackson, MS. So much rain has fallen SC Miss, Cen Ala and toward ATL and ground temps are lower due to the saturation. Bhm, AtL and central Miss our season will start. It may be 5,,10,15 days based on forecast. Im not seeing more than a day or 3 in the low 70’s thru mid-March. The season could be well above average. I live in metro Bham and red buds are not even starting to bud. That will change in a week or 2. And then we ll beg for more rain and sunny days no higher than 77 degrees to extend the season.. Thoughts appreciated.. Happy Hunting

41 - 60 of 148 Posts