2020 Alabama Morel Season

Discussion in 'Alabama' started by newtimmy, Feb 5, 2020.

1. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

Checked all proven n al spots. At least 5 days out. Pheasant backs not even up yet.

Treesleeper and (deleted member) like this.
  2. chonas

chonas Morel Connoisseur

One spot had 10 4-6 inchers

3. Treesleeper

Treesleeper Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the update for north Alabama. I live in the Maysville area east of Huntsville. This is my second year looking for morels, but have not had any luck so far. Any recommendations on what type of habitat to look for in the Maysville/Gurley area. I've tried south and east facing mountain slopes today around ash, hickory and popular with no luck. I also tried areas around Hurricane Creek loaded with privet and sycamore trees last season without luck. I would really like to find my first morel. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

4. newtimmy

newtimmy Morel Connoisseur

Treesleeper, Huntsville should be prime March 22 - April 10. Dont be discouraged.. any morels up now are the extreme early areas. Get to creeks/ rivers. Look within 10 ft elevation of the top of the creek/river bank. Now that may extend 5 yds or 100 yds. Look for areas with privet, ash, elm, sycamore & hackberry. At least 3 of those species, and the more the better.. Im not saying all morels will grow in those areas. But your chances are better and id say 90% of alabama moerls are found in those type areas

2 people like this.
  5. judymoon

judymoon Morel Connoisseur

I feel ya my first year only found one keep looking and your timing may be off

6. judymoon

First years find near Athens 50 total interesting one in the sand!

Attached Files:

7. Treesleeper

Thanks for the information newtimmy. In that case I will stay out of the mountains and concentrate on the rivers and creeks in my area. Hopefully, I will have some luck. Thanks again.

2 people like this.
  8. LeeF

LeeF Young Morel

Treesleeper, I'm also new to hunting morels. Second season and still looking for my first. I'm not looking for anyone to share a secret spot but if anyone is going somewhere new and doesn't mind a newbie tagging along. Please let me know. I've done the research and now I'm trying to put the hours in.

9. judymoon

Sandy soils!! Newtimmy spot on!!

10. judymoon

Also about a week or so you can walk creek look up on banks you’ll see um

11. Treesleeper

Judymoon, were the morels that you found today from one of your early spots? I would think that the Maysville/Gurley area would be in the same time frame as Athens. Is Athens peak still about a week away?

1 person likes this.
  12. judymoon

I’d be hunting now until the end, they are popping I’ve never got 50 at one time in that spot!

13. AmateurShroomer

AmateurShroomer Young Morel

Has anyone ever found morels in wheeler? I’ve spent past two years looking in there and no luck. Not looking for specific spots but just some motivation to keep looking

1 person likes this.
  14. Treesleeper

Judymoon, thank you and newtimmy for taking the time to answer my questions.

3 people like this.
  15. judymoon

Like newtimmy said need good mix of trees: elm, hackleberry, sycamore etc the older the trees the better! Again I’ve never had luck around rivers only running creeks

16. newtimmy

80BCE366-6431-465B-8970-52DD38A08370.png Pulled 7 yellows today from my early patch. Its probably about done fruiting. Im guessing Bham metro has 6-10 days left to get a good round or 2 of fruiting. Hopefully we get some goods rains Fri & Sunday as forecasted.. Will do a major hunt next Thurs, 26th..checking here & there until then

17. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

I Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

We Will Hunt..!

I Will Hunt..!

and to Anyone and Everyone ..

You Should Already Know Better ..

** So Don't Even Try to Stop Me **

Get Your Stealth On Yall !!

1 person likes this.
  18. judymoon

Don’t forget the tulip poplar tree it’s known to be good host tree for late morels

19. newtimmy

And dont forget the ash tree

20. stasiakj

stasiakj Morel Connoisseur

Skunked again today and kicked off private land. Must be patient, sooner or later, I'll find them.
    Will head north Tuesday around Huntsville to see if I can find a spot or two.

2 people like this.