2020 BADGER STATE Morel Season

Discussion in 'Wisconsin' started by Old Elm, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

Time to start scouting.
    Wishing all a prolific/bountiful season for spring 2020.

Jbarr, Kokomorel, Inthewild and 3 others like this.
  2. Old Elm

Dang ice auger is getting cranky, time to start thinking spring!!
    2314D4DE-8E92-472D-9470-4FE5D70DBF5B.jpeg 374772CC-7502-48EF-B4AD-ACFC3792A50F.jpeg BF536377-83C9-48BA-B2DF-FECA42128934.jpeg

Jbarr, Bob Gosnell, Kokomorel and 4 others like this.

3. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

1 person likes this.
  4. Old Elm

5. Bob Gosnell

Bob Gosnell Morel Enthusiast

Only a couple more months, been a very strange winter in south central Wisconsin way below snow average here in janesville area, I hope it doesn't affect the spring hunt!! Last year was my 1st year going out had a blast! Found maybe 5 lbs total not much for some of ya. But did find some spots that had a lot of end of year ones that were starting to melt or burn. But saw Alabama is starting to find them might gave to take a vacation south soon Lol. Good luck to everyone

3 people like this.
  6. wade

i love this old picture of who we are and where we came from
    Thank You for posting it @Old Elm

2 people like this.
  7. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

Whoa, whoa, whoa, . . . Haven't even started tapping trees yet, want to get at least a good month of sapping before even starting to itch for morels. Plenty of ice fishing yet also to make the most of. Need to enjoy each season for what it provides us. But dang it, now I'm going to be seeing shrooms in my dreams tonight. Thanks alot Old Elm :)

8. Old Elm

Twisted, I couldn’t agree more about enjoying the season’s one at a time, however I’m blaming Wade. He called & got this O’le Badger all stirred up a few weeks ago - held off posting a new 2020 thread as long as I could, then decide’d to share the pain.

9. wade

We are All gonna be standing right in the middle of um... having fun !

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Bob Gosnell

Now think I said earlier that last year was my 1st year and had a long winter. This winter has been very strange especially by the janesville area. Normally we have at least a foot for frost line this year really nothing, we had a rain storm in January where nightcrawlers were popping up everywhere. How much does that affect the ground warming up? And with the way below normal snow we had how much does it affect the moister, cause fo know both play a big part. After tomorrow we most likely won't have any snow left on the ground pretty bare already. Yes we have had quite a bit of rain this year way more then any winter I remember. I know we still got about 2 months before the hunt starts 1 can hope maybe soon by a week or 2 Lol. But I can never have enough info on how to be better at hunting morels. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!! Thanks

2 people like this.
  11. Old Elm

Welcome to the group & have an awesome season.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  12. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

We finally tapped yesterday (March 1) in southern Michigan. It ran all night. I had a lot of heavy bags to dump this morning.

13. wade

Howdy John @JohnS42
    and to Any New Folks on here.
    We Welcome you to Enjoy and be Happy.
    so..if you will go or have now gone back a few years and begin reading forward till present..
    you be finding yourself self..
    as if you are almost out there living and learning and exploring and enjoying right beside all of us Awesome Caracters..
    Woodsman Outdoorsman Naturalist
    self Reliant Last of the Frontiersmen..
    its an Everything Read...
    a Novel, a Poem, a Love story,
    an Adventure, a Hunters log, and a Drama
    a Comedy, a Documentary..
    its Also a Family with a Love for the Hunt
    its a Legacy..and its More.. its Anything and its Everything..
    and any Questions that anyone has are already Answered in all our Pages and Postings Past...
    After Reading You Should Feel Good..
    You Will Know Us..
    just all Good Good.. And Win Win
    So John ...Read Read... Enjoy Enjoy
    then Come back and Join in with us
    and then Ask Questions..
    Many of Us have Hunted, Hundreds and Hundreds again of Miles Loving looking Enjoying Learning.. Finding Morels and Other Fungi... and we are all good Friendly Folks here...
    and We will Help You John..
    Still i think Yourself putting in the Efforts Reading up to date Local and in near by States
    is of the First and Most Help with Benefits you can gain in No other way.
    go back John.. go back a few years
    and Read who we are and where we've been .. Then Join in With us Now..
    @JohnS42
    Thank You Sir
    from Wade..

14. avngal

avngal Morel Enthusiast

Same to you!

15. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

Found 10lbs of morels today here in East Texas. Rubbing it in my brothers face as he moved to Madison area about a year ago. LOL.

Bob Gosnell likes this.
  16. freeflow581

freeflow581 Morel Connoisseur

happy new year folks!. crazy times in our society indeed, but Morels are Essential !. I'm ready..... xoxo

17. Bob Gosnell

Got a question for you more experienced morel hunters! Where is a good area to look for black morels? Same area you find grey and yellows? Or around different types of forage? Just curious cause do know they come up a couple weeks before the grey and yellows and with this nice weather we are having in southern Wisconsin we might start finding them in the next week or so..... maybe!!

18. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Scouting for morel trees today in 64 degree heat in local park. I noticed a couple small bags hanging in the brush and I ustta hate on these people for doing that, but I'm thinking I'm warming up to liking them for picking up So I don't step in it. I don't think they take their fish for walks, so I'm only assuming the prize within. Picture from last year.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  19. Inthewild

Inthewild Morel Connoisseur

Ramps / Leeks starting to sprout. Morels to follow. Eau Claire County

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  20. twisted minds

twisted minds Morel Connoisseur

Not ramps, likely Lilly of the Valley.