Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
221 - 240 of 279 Posts
Area looks good, can't tell from the trees if they're elm or not. Doesn't look like it. Try the valleys. Also are you using permethrin on your clothes?
I honestly cant tell if they are elm either. I think this area is so heavily populated with poplar, that's what it is. They look so similar when dead. I havent tried permethrin, but I'm going to. 3 more ticks this afternoon! And no mushrooms. Ground seems nice and warm.
Technology Electronic device Grass Tree Measuring instrument

I had the pleasure of searching for the elusive Morel with fellow member John Zuleger, even though I pulled up and asked him quite frankly; Are you Nutz? This morel hunter traveled hours outta his region and searched high and low for these mushrooms. He brought me places closer to my home than His. Found Ramp fields LOADED with Red Ramps. I might need to go back and start dehydrating some. Or Pickling like he suggested. We had a Great time sharing knowledge and experiences. Hats off to you John. Until we do it again, best wishes.

@John Zuleger

I honestly cant tell if they are elm either. I think this area is so heavily populated with poplar, that's what it is. They look so similar when dead. I havent tried permethrin, but I'm going to. 3 more ticks this afternoon! And no mushrooms. Ground seems nice and warm. View attachment 34684
Welcome to the Forum, Myrtie. I agree and recommend using Permethrin to repel ticks. Spray it on the cuffs of your jeans and jacket and be careful not to get any on your skin. That fawn you came across is one of the many rewards of spending time in the woods. You won't forget that anytime soon. Sightings like that help me get over the days when there are no morels.

Welcome to the Forum, Myrtie. I agree and recommend using Permethrin to repel ticks. Spray it on the cuffs of your jeans and jacket and be careful not to get any on your skin. That fawn you came across is one of the many rewards of spending time in the woods. You won't forget that anytime soon. Sightings like that help me get over the days when there are no morels.
Thanks for the welcome! I really enjoy hearing about and seeing all the finds of others.

I went out to a new spot today hoping to find a bunch. One little measly one. Either I am blind or.. well that's just it. They have to be out in an area like this right? I'm going to check back in a couple days, rain is headed this way Saturday. As a consolation prize I just about stumbled over this little guy, quite literally. I had to run away, he got up and started following me! Also, beware of the ticks. Two crawling on my pants. View attachment 34666 View attachment 34668 View attachment 34670 View attachment 34672
Hello Myrtie, they look like elms to me, but IMO, way to dead and dried out. I skip those bare skeleton trees, very low probability of significant yield. I prefer to find dying trees where the bark is still in tact on the trunk, but the upper branches are debarking and look slightly white. This for me has been the highest probability of better yields. And I do not spend a lot of time scouring at each tree. I would rather check 50 trees for 2 minutes instead of 10 trees for 10 minutes. I guess I have mother load fever. LOL

I went out to a new spot today hoping to find a bunch. One little measly one. Either I am blind or.. well that's just it. They have to be out in an area like this right? I'm going to check back in a couple days, rain is headed this way Saturday. As a consolation prize I just about stumbled over this little guy, quite literally. I had to run away, he got up and started following me! Also, beware of the ticks. Two crawling on my pants. View attachment 34666 View attachment 34668 View attachment 34670 View attachment 34672
@Inthewild you're slacking this year, someone else found one of those brown with white spots critters. What's going on? Are you forgetting your lucky morel club this year?...

Hello Myrtie, they look like elms to me, but IMO, way to dead and dried out. I skip those bare skeleton trees, very low probability of significant yield. I prefer to find dying trees where the bark is still in tact on the trunk, but the upper branches are debarking and look slightly white. This for me has been the highest probability of better yields. And I do not spend a lot of time scouring at each tree. I would rather check 50 trees for 2 minutes instead of 10 trees for 10 minutes. I guess I have mother load fever. LOL
I have yet to find my first cluster of more than 3. I can't wait! The obsession is real.

@Inthewild you're slacking this year, someone else found one of those brown with white spots critters. What's going on? Are you forgetting your lucky morel club this year?...
@guff76 Ya hardly any Morels and only one fawn able to walk with mom. Maybe I need @clutch2412 for a Fawn dance to. He blessed me with the rain.

I had the pleasure of searching for the elusive Morel with fellow member John Zuleger, even though I pulled up and asked him quite frankly; Are you Nutz? This morel hunter traveled hours outta his region and searched high and low for these mushrooms. He brought me places closer to my home than His. Found Ramp fields LOADED with Red Ramps. I might need to go back and start dehydrating some. Or Pickling like he suggested. We had a Great time sharing knowledge and experiences. Hats off to you John. Until we do it again, best wishes.

@John Zuleger
I DID IT!!! I stopped for the elusive interstate elms that screams check here.... Nothing, cross that off the list

Update from the woods: 5.21.20 South, southeast, southwest facing open woods. 55 degree ground temperature.
Ice cream cone Food Drink Ice cream Frozen dessert
Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Poutine
Update from the woods: 5.23.20. They are everywhere. Mostly still southern exposure. Found on hill sides and 15" ground cover. Ground Temp 56-58 degrees. Fresh, not buggy Oyster. Now my second bestest tasting mushroom. Morel Rating BR3. @br5

Froze many for future consumption. Friends are well fed.

Thanks for the dance again @clutch2412 .

Attachments

Update from the woods: 5.21.20 South, southeast, southwest facing open woods. 55 degree ground temperature.
View attachment 34926 View attachment 34928 Update from the woods: 5.23.20. They are everywhere. Mostly still southern exposure. Found on hill sides and 15" ground cover. Ground Temp 56-58 degrees. Fresh, not buggy Oyster. Now my second bestest tasting mushroom. Morel Rating BR3. @br5

Froze many for future consumption. Friends are well fed.

Thanks for the dance again @clutch2412 .
Nice job Wild!! I did the dance behind locked doors. Ain't nobody need to see that!! I am very happy you are crackin' em over there. Sharing is essential when you find enough for yourself. Keep going...

221 - 240 of 279 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.