Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

21 - 40 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Nope...Ramps, positive. Known and picked patch, otherwise I may be sick or dead from previous years.
Look at the bases, and the multiple furled leaves. Not ramps. Ramps may come up in same area, and that is what you have harvested before, but those are almost definitely not ramps.
20200402_184230.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
Look at the bases, and the multiple furled leaves. Not ramps. Ramps may come up in same area, and that is what you have harvested before, but those are almost definitely not ramps. View attachment 26784
Well this Makes for and interesting Informational Opportunity..
@Inthewild
i don't mean to put you to work Brother.
But;....if you could put a recognizable stick or marker in that patch..
and get us all some clear time lasp photos.. then we could all know for sure and then Benefit from.. This Innocent deference in identifying this Plant in Question..
its a Cool Opportunity but Only if you are Able
No Pressure Man..
Thank You

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nope...Ramps, positive. Known and picked patch, otherwise I may be sick or dead from previous years.
Im in central Wisconsin (Fox Valley) and Im seeing about the same sized ramps today. Same situation, known ramp spots, observed at the same relative stage of growth over many years. I think those are almost certainly ramps. If it looks like that and smells like garlic, im picking it!

Cant wait for the morels.

·
Registered
271 Posts
@Inthewild
and get us all some clear time lasp photos.. then we could all know for sure and then Benefit from.. This Innocent deference in identifying this Plant in Question..
No Pressure Man..
Thank You
@wade

While I actually enjoy a challenge, I would be going out of my way (walking 2.5 miles) for several months to show the difference, which at the end of the day all findings would be buried within the time vault of Morels.com, never to be seen again. Let's use this as a training guide.

This I know: PLEASE do your own RESEARCH on wild edibles prior to consuming IF you can not positively identify a possible edible. Do NOT rely on others opinions, its YOUR life/health. I'm guessing if you can access a blog site like Morels.com, you can easily research your possible edible online.

In general terms:

Ramps: Will be found in the wild. Leaves of 1-3 possible. Grow from a pronounced bulb which gets larger as they grow. Smell like garlic/onions. Grow earlier in spring. Produce a Daisy like flower as they mature.
Taste GREAT.

Lilly of the Valley: Tend to be found in residential areas, past or present. Leaves of 1-3 possible. Grow from a stem with long roots. Do NOT smell like garlic/onions. Grow later in spring. Produce a Bell type hanging trellis of flowers as they mature. NEVER Edible.

Wishing all a Safe and prosperous adventure in the wild.

@jg010682

·
Super Moderator
1,944 Posts
@wade

While I actually enjoy a challenge, I would be going out of my way (walking 2.5 miles) for several months to show the difference, which at the end of the day all findings would be buried within the time vault of Morels.com, never to be seen again. Let's use this as a training guide.

This I know: PLEASE do your own RESEARCH on wild edibles prior to consuming IF you can not positively identify a possible edible. Do NOT rely on others opinions, its YOUR life/health. I'm guessing if you can access a blog site like Morels.com, you can easily research your possible edible online.

In general terms:

Ramps: Will be found in the wild. Leaves of 1-3 possible. Grow from a pronounced bulb which gets larger as they grow. Smell like garlic/onions. Grow earlier in spring. Produce a Daisy like flower as they mature.
Taste GREAT.

Lilly of the Valley: Tend to be found in residential areas, past or present. Leaves of 1-3 possible. Grow from a stem with long roots. Do NOT smell like garlic/onions. Grow later in spring. Produce a Bell type hanging trellis of flowers as they mature. NEVER Edible.

Wishing all a Safe and prosperous adventure in the wild.

@jg010682
Thats Awesome Thank You
@Inthewild

·
Registered
271 Posts
@Inthewild
No Pressure Man..
Thank You
4.08.20 update. My temperature gauge is within 1 degree, if not dead on.

Open, south facing ramps: 46 degrees

Inner woods: 44 degrees
4.08.20O.jpg
4.8.20I.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm heading out to my land the next three weekends. have some work to do getting ready for turkey hunting next week and trout opener the following. So plans are scouting walking the land removing and deadfalls. But more important is to just walk and enjoy the woods. Ill post if I see anything interesting.

·
Registered
515 Posts
lilly of the valley I mean,
Look at the bases, and the multiple furled leaves. Not ramps. Ramps may come up in same area, and that is what you have harvested before, but those are almost definitely not ramps. View attachment 26784
At first I thought you where right. I even posted but deleted it saying so. Ramps do come up at first together like that. But if they smell like onion garlic and he picked that same patch before they are definitely ramps. Funny I never noticed ramps when first coming up bases where like that. will check out tomorrow some ramp sprouts I saw today, first ones this year. Will take a pic if I remember my phone ha. This is why I like this forum.

21 - 40 of 278 Posts