Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

41 - 60 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, just wanted to say I have enjoyed all the posts here... what a knowledgeable bunch of people willing to share what they know!

I've been gathering mushrooms of different and ever increasing varieties for about 4 years. My kids have often accompanied me, and last spring we found our first morels together. I'd like to get my wife involved beyond the consumption end of things and hope to take the entire family on a camping/gathering outing this year. I was looking at 4-29 to 5-1 in the Ferryville area. Based on the forecast we're in the 60° daytime and 40° night time. I want this to be a successful trip and appreciate your advise on the timing. Might be my only shot to add my wife as a picker!

Thanks again for everything!

·
Registered
25 Posts
So... every campground in SW WI is closed. On to plan B, we're going to stay at an Airbnb near Wauzake. Best part is there's 600 acres we can hike around right on the property. Hopefully May 4-6 isn't too early. I see tiny morels were found near Richland according to the Great Morel Map.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes we definitely need some rain by the state line area janesville south to beloit pretty dry out in the woods. If we get the rain with the weather should be poppin soon, haven't checked soil temp in a few days think on Saturday it was 47 in the woods so hope it warms up soon, these lows in the lower 30s stink!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Trying my hand at shiitike mushrooms. I was gifted some spores several weeks ago and went out and harvested (25) 42" long oak sections varying in width from 4" -8". I let them 'rest' a couple of weeks, today they get inoculated! I guess we'll see in a year or more if I did it right!

Attachments

·
Registered
515 Posts
Trying my hand at shiitike mushrooms. I was gifted some spores several weeks ago and went out and harvested (25) 42" long oak sections varying in width from 4" -8". I let them 'rest' a couple of weeks, today they get inoculated! I guess we'll see in a year or more if I did it right!
good luck, always wanted to do that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like more rain for the SW portion of the state and a seesaw of temperatures. Certainly looks like the right mix of conditions!

Has anyone gotten an opportunity to take soil temperatures?

Better yet... Any success foraging over the weekend?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Looks like more rain for the SW portion of the state and a seesaw of temperatures. Certainly looks like the right mix of conditions!

Im in the Fox Valley and went out this weekend to some spots a bit south that have been good the last few years, but nothing yet. I went out knowing it was too early and somehow still left the woods disappointed! The forecast looks promising and this rain will help, it was pretty dry.

·
Registered
269 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Things are setting up perfectly, for a banner year. Good luck out there keep us posted.

·
Registered
25 Posts
IMG_20200428_111420300.jpg

I've been on the hunt for an inexpensive mesh bag for harvesting mushrooms and other wild edibles. In the past it's been a plastic bag, sleeves tied shut on a jacket, or just about anything else I could stuff my find into, they all work but not the greatest.

Walmart has 15"x18" mesh laundry bags with a zipper for $1.17 each. They seem well made for the price and stuff down pretty small allowing you to carry several for the really big hauls. I'm going to tie a strip of orange flagging on the the handle, I've spent way too much time returning to retrieve things I've forgotten in the woods.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Kids and I with our first days finds last May. Interestingly, there was a large group of boys scouts camping near where we parked. Several of them were interested in what had. An hour later after describing where and what to look for 30+ kids were off foraging!
Looks like that was a good day. On timing, watch this thread for pictures and when everyone goes quite they're in the woods.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Very cool!

41 - 60 of 278 Posts