Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

61 - 80 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pheasantbacks starting. My moto is: If the tree (Elm, or possibly Maple) has a pheasantback, don't attack. Meaning there ain't gonna be any morels to be found related to that tree. View attachment 31380 View attachment 31382
Interesting, I'm going to really try and pay attention to that this season!

Have you ever harvested pheasant backs that size? Seems like I always find them much larger and they are too tough to eat.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Interesting, I'm going to really try and pay attention to that this season!

Have you ever harvested pheasant backs that size? Seems like I always find them much larger and they are too tough to eat.
@John Zuleger . These are just starting out. Some people claim 3-4" are best. The stem is tough, better have a sharp knife and cutout the stem to leave outter edges to eat. I've been able to harvest 100's of pounds a season if I wanted, but they are not for me. I'm so into Morels, I just don't stop for pheasantbacks. Maybe I should collect and sell?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pheasantbacks starting. My moto is: If the tree (Elm, or possibly Maple) has a pheasantback, don't attack. Meaning there ain't gonna be any morels to be found related to that tree. View attachment 31380 View attachment 31382
Sorry, I disagree. I have found morels at the base of trees with pheasant backs many times. Hey, I don't care where I find them as long as I find them!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The anticipation of getting out in SW Wisconsin Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday with my wife and kids has me keyed right up! This is exactly how I get as the rut gets closer and I start seeing bucks cruising mid day!

I have found it interesting how quiet this forum is, you guys are way better at containing your enthusiasm! I've heard it said that when the group goes silent, everyone is out picking. If that statement is true then folks must have baskets full already!

Good luck to everyone. I assume many of you will be out enjoying this beautiful weekend. I'm going to be knocking off honey do's and putting together things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The calm before the storm. Should be a cracker of a season! Things seemed to have shaped up nicely.

Stay safe, and respect others. Goodluck.

Cheers.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Is that a zip up laundry bag you're hauling your loot in? Looks just like the ones I bought at Walmart. How do you like it?

Yep. Been using them for many years. I like them alot. They're cheap, have a loop handle, zippered opening, the mesh is soft enough that it doesn't damage the shrooms, even the delicate big blondes that come towards the end of the season. They allow bugs and dirt to fall through, while protecting the mushrooms when going through briars and thickets. And are just large enough, that even when full, not enough weight from the mushrooms on top to squish the ones on bottom. And they fold up small enough to put in your pocket.

61 - 80 of 278 Posts