Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

81 - 100 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
185.JPG This morel painting from my gallery by the notable impressionist, John Kornfeind, a dear friend of mine, depicts what it feels like when I find morels for the first time after a long absence. Because morels blend into the forest floor so well, I have to retrain my eyes to find them. I throw all sorts of look alike objects on the ground such as spruce cones and wild cucumber pods in order to practice. While I appreciate the artists among us, there is no substitute for the exuberance of finding the real thing in nature. In the meantime I am staring at this painting, drinking wine, and waiting for the season to begin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!! I just joined this site and morel hunting. I know people keep there spots pretty private, but i'm going to try asking for some spots to find some good morels in Green Bay/Appleton area or any good spots anywhere. I've done research on places to look but haven't had luck. I would love to find some so any information would be awesome. Thank you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello all!! I just joined this site and morel hunting. I know people keep there spots pretty private, but i'm going to try asking for some spots to find some good morels in Green Bay/Appleton area or any good spots anywhere. I've done research on places to look but haven't had luck. I would love to find some so any information would be awesome. Thank you.
The micro climate of the door county peninsula seems to yield mushrooms before other areas that far to the north. I think there are a couple of state parks up there, that's where I would start.
Additionally, watch the weather, watch Craigslist for people selling fresh picked morels, same with Facebook market place, get on the DNR website and find MFL, county parks and lace up your boots.

Get a good mushroom ID book and extend your foraging season. Oyster mushrooms come right in the tail end of morels, followed by chicken of the woods, chanterelles, black trumpets, and hen of the woods.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
I need help. I think I have a bad case of Morel fingeritus. I seem to search every state and forum on this site watching morel progression with my index finger on the computer mouse. I think I know what they look like. I think I know where they should be, but they ain't there. I hope I can get out Inthewild and start grasping these dirty buggers, with hopes it straightens out my finger problem. My Morel friend @guff76 thinks I am as crazy as he is. Any advice?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I need help. I think I have a bad case of Morel fingeritus. I seem to search every state and forum on this site watching morel progression with my index finger on the computer mouse. I think I know what they look like. I think I know where they should be, but they ain't there. I hope I can get out Inthewild and start grasping these dirty buggers, with hopes it straightens out my finger problem. My Morel friend @guff76 thinks I am as crazy as he is. Any advice?
Maybe try beer to calm your nervs untill they arive. Lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
My advice...long hikes in the woods followed by cold beer! My wife and I went out today and we found a grand total of two the size of my pinky nail. That isnt easy, talk about small morels! Realistically, with the weather we will get this week, its another two weeks of reading about others good luck.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't believe what they say @Inthewild you are perfectly fine it's everyone else that has problems

·
Registered
723 Posts
I've talked to you but never met you, I have hunted with Guff, and I know he's crazy though, just look at that beard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Went out yesterday in Southern Wisconsin, only 1 but it had been up for at least a couple days with some sun dryness... my spots have not been producing in recent years.. any luck in the Wi Dells/Reedsburg area?

81 - 100 of 278 Posts