Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 278 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best way to prepare them I found is in butter. I've tried rolling them in flour and didn't like them at all. Is there a better way to cook them?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Spent yesterday pounding the brush in the rain. My wife is fairly certain I keep a handful of morels in my pocket and periodically call out, "Found one!"

Ended the day with 18, all found on South/Southwest facing slopes. One on the valley bottom, the rest mid slope. Never more than 4-5 around anyone tree, the majority singles.

Most interesting find was this turkey meat at the base of an elm. Not sure who was more surprised, me or the hen!
IMG_20200505_133901661.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Good eye! hope the temps warm up a little to get things going. Went out Tue. seen 2 little ones peaking out so moved out not to crush any friends!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The farm we've been hunting gives the bulls free range to almost the entire wooded section. I think the heavy hoof traffic has impacted some of our success. The joke yesterday was that the bulls like morels to, hence whenever we found tracks, no mushrooms. Really it was a case of trampling and ground compaction.

We're going to try another farm near by that has the promise and less grazing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The best way to prepare them I found is in butter. I've tried rolling them in flour and didn't like them at all. Is there a better way to cook them?
I use a little flour and corn flake crumbs with your favorite seasoning i put flour and corn flake crumbs in a zip lock baggy add morels shake baggy and pan fry in butter until gold brown yum got my mouth watering lol
I still have dry ones from last year so I have a fix..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a little flour and corn flake crumbs with your favorite seasoning i put flour and corn flake crumbs in a zip lock baggy add morels shake baggy and pan fry in butter until gold brown yum got my mouth watering lol
I still have dry ones from last year so I have a fix..
I'll have to try. That is if I'm lucky enough to find some. Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
Eau Claire county is dry. Pheasantbacks hardly growing, just buttons. Jackinthepulpit small. Skunk cabbage small. No Honey Suckle. No Trillium. No Lilacs blooming. No Dandelion going to seed. Only people who enjoy cutting their yard are mowing. Haven't found a fawn. Maybe I should have jumped these ducks??? And before you say it: Alcohol isn't cutting it for me. I am about to jump ship.
ducks.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
20200508_133616.jpg

Got a couple dozen yesterday after work. It is DEE ARE WHY something terrible out there. Without rain soon going to be a real short season. Soon as it does rain, they should pop just about everywhere. Going to be a hard season, the undergrowth in parts of woods is pretty high and thick already, will make finding even more difficult.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Eau Claire county is dry. Pheasantbacks hardly growing, just buttons. Jackinthepulpit small. Skunk cabbage small. No Honey Suckle. No Trillium. No Lilacs blooming. No Dandelion going to seed. Only people who enjoy cutting their yard are mowing. Haven't found a fawn. Maybe I should have jumped these ducks??? And before you say it: Alcohol isn't cutting it for me. I am about to jump ship. View attachment 33316
I can't see you jumping ship, Inthewild. Hang in there. It's still early. The season's weather is similar to last year. Last year I harvested the bulk of mine in the last week of May and into the first week of June. As a side note, the dandelions around here froze last night and there are no signs of lilacs blooming yet as well. I was one of those who, for lack of better things to do, cut the lawn today wearing a winter coat!

101 - 120 of 278 Posts