Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this site is for morels but now I'm focusing my excitement on another favorite of mine. The chanterelles. I actually prefer the flavor of chanterelles over morels (its actually a lie because the morel season is over for me but that's not the point). Post you finds when you get them or ask questions about identifying them. I haven't found any yet but I found a large stand of some look-a-likes, the Jack-O-Lantern. Got all existed at first driving down the road but the gills gave it away that they are not chanterelles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've found basketfulls of them around Mt Hood in the Pacific Northwest but hoping to find some in Texas. Thinking there should be some in East Texas (and maybe even DFW?) within the next couple of months.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are here in abundance. We have two types, don't know the names right off hand but I say, large and small. I have a lot of the small ones on my place and my buddy has loads of the large ones on his place. I have taken some of the large ones and made a water solution and spread it all over the place in bottoms on my place. Hopefully they take off. Go to the bottoms of boggy areas and find the oaks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I am a new mushroom forager. I live in Houston and am really excited to start looking for chanterelles. I am curious to know if anyone has had luck in Sam Houston, Angelina, or Davy Crockett Natl. Forests? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Look for oak trees, Davy Crockett has a lot of pines. They still should be in the bottom areas though of Davy Crockett regardless. Sam Houston you will get arrested due to it being a State park. Angelina and Davy are National and are OK. I have been to those parks but have yet to find a chanterelles but I havent really looked for one there either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are state parks around Huntsville, but Sam Houston is a National forest. I don't fully understand these regulations. I just searched through TX Parks & Wildlife website for for several terms and can't find anything. Also, there are very few public areas east of Dallas, most are State owned WMA's. Do most people just have access to privately owned property?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look for oak trees, Davy Crockett has a lot of pines. They still should be in the bottom areas though of Davy Crockett regardless. Sam Houston you will get arrested due to it being a State park. Angelina and Davy are National and are OK.
There are state parks around Huntsville, but Sam Houston is a National forest. I don't fully understand these regulations. I just searched through TX Parks & Wildlife website for for several terms and can't find anything. Also, there are very few public areas east of Dallas, most are State owned WMA's. Do most people just have access to privately owned property?
Sate Parks do not allow for foraging. I believe its ok in National Forests not National Parks (considered 2 different things). When you said Sam Houston, I was thinking of the Sate Park where the Sam Houston Statue is on 45. That's Huntsville State Park. Wrong place. Most places we talk about here are on private properties. Type 2 public places are considered the same as state parks as well. Davy Crockett and Sam Houston National Forests are ok to pick mushrooms in. Hunting is also allowed there as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit ($12) allows an adult access for fishing (when it is permitted on a unit), camping, birdwatching, hiking, and other recreational activities on designated public hunting lands, but they may not hunt or possess firearms or archery equipment

On any public land in Texas at least have this. You will still need to get a fishing license before you are allowed to buy this. It allows you to do everything on public land in Texas except hunt. Sounds like a crock buts it will keep national park rangers of your azz if they see you with a bucket of mushrooms.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm still looking and still nothing. We keep having this cool nights and small cold fronts that are delaying the chanterelles season in East Texas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Weather pattern starting to look more stable and warmer weather finally starting to set in. Should be soon for chanterelles. Still havent found one yet for 2020 season.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A Limited Public Use (LPU) Permit ($12) allows an adult access for fishing (when it is permitted on a unit), camping, birdwatching, hiking, and other recreational activities on designated public hunting lands, but they may not hunt or possess firearms or archery equipment

On any public land in Texas at least have this. You will still need to get a fishing license before you are allowed to buy this. It allows you to do everything on public land in Texas except hunt. Sounds like a crock buts it will keep national park rangers of your azz if they see you with a bucket of mushrooms.
Yeah, I am an avid hunter and have the permits. Thanks for clarifying this, I appreciate it.

I have a ranch an hour NW of Houston. It has a variety of hardwoods; lots of Oaks. Its covered in dewberries in the spring. It has a ravine that runs through and is pretty wooded. No one in my family forages and so they didn't have any idea whether or not there would be mushrooms. I went out looking last weekend and found what I believe is a Jack O' Lantern, am I correct on this? Up until this week the weather has been unusually dry with some cool evenings. I'm going out this weekend to see if I can spot some.

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what this mushroom is?

Sorry for all the questions. I have a couple foraging books, and am familiar with the Ben Starr and Foraging Texas websites. They have been a wealth of information!

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The 2 white mushrooms are types of polypore mushrooms and are part of a family of honeycomb fungus's. They are not toxic/poisonous but are not considered worth eating either. I have yet to eat one but everything I have read is that they are lacking taste and are tough after cooking. They grow like crazy around my place. The orange mushroom is a jack o lantern for sure and is poisonous.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found 4 chanterelles today. They looked poor and in need of water. We are expecting a lot of rain this weekend. Always go a day or two after a summer rain. They will be there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I found 4 chanterelles today. They looked poor and in need of water. We are expecting a lot of rain this weekend. Always go a day or two after a summer rain. They will be there.
That's awesome! Did you get a chance to go out today? I figured there would be some popping on account of all the rain we had this weekend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been out of town for a few days but just got back. Will be looking for sure today. Lots of rain. Will be everywhere hopefully.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts