2020 Connecticut Morels

Discussion in 'Connecticut' started by clutch2412, Apr 12, 2020.

1. clutch2412

clutch2412 Morel Connoisseur

Use this thread for all Connecticut morel talk. I see you are posting on many past threads. This will just make it easier for all. See if this year can produce like last. Let's hope so!

Peter Hastings likes this.
  2. Robert Hatcher

Robert Hatcher Morel Enthusiast

There is already a post for 2020. I'm new here I know, but why would you start a new post for 2020?

3. clutch2412

Didnt see it. My bad. Post whereever you wish. Just hope you post plenty of awesome morels pix.

1 person likes this.
  4. Robert Hatcher

5. clutch2412

My trying starts tomorrow. Good or bad I will let you know what I see (or don't). All my indicators are saying no but what does Mama Nature care?! Good luck to you Robert.

1 person likes this.
  6. Robert Hatcher

this is my first year hunting Morels, last year was my first serious mushroom hunt year. I found a handful near a friends apple stump Sunday, so they are out. I have a question, if you search a likely area and dont find any, whats the longest you wait before rechecking?
    Robert

7. clutch2412

Hey Robert. There is no sure answer. But rain equals mushrooms. Look again in a few days. No rain...maybe wait longer. This is what I do but it is not an exact science. I have waited too long many times. So checking is good but be careful not to step on your babies. Later in the season if you wait too long somebody else will have perfect timing!

8. William Passmore

William Passmore Morel Enthusiast

Found my first morel of 2020 in my girlfriend's family's yard on April 12, 2020! Very early... Totally random. It was maybe 7-10 feet away from a big tree (forgot to check what type), and even closer to an old stump. It was growing on its own and was maybe the diameter of a bit larger than a nickel, so not too big. It just rained for a few days, so I am very excited to go hunting in the backwoods (there are miles of woods by her parents house) in a few different spots.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  9. Chris Van Scoy

Chris Van Scoy Morel Enthusiast

I grew up in the midwest where I really knew how to find Morels and have never really had much luck out here and want to give a really good try this year. Could you all please give me some tips on what type of trees you are finding them buy and land conditions? I used to go by the river in the area I lived and would be very successful.

10. William Passmore

Update: welp, it dropped in temperature a lot today, so I am a bit worried my April hunting won't go well if we can't get some warm rain showers next week or if it does not get warmer and stay warm through today and tonight .

Personally in CT I will be looking for them near tree roots coming out of the ground and disintegrating logs because small animals like to burrow and dig so the soil is looser. I also look for wet leaves but not too soaked.

Chris Van Scoy likes this.
  11. clutch2412

Hi Chris. Ash trees. Poplar. Elms if you can find them. Apples if you can find them. Mainly Ash though. But they are quickly disappearing. Rivers bottoms are always a great place to look. I find them in all elevations though. Just look for hardwood forests with as much Ash as possible. I joined the "earliest ever morel club" today. Found 5 small grays. But I still feel the woods were not quite there. This was an early spot that always produces. Lot of walking. Lot of nothing after the initial joy. Good luck.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  12. William Passmore

Literally cannot wait to go to my spot soon :)
    There are literally hundreds and hundreds of ash trees, as well as poplar, tulip, and more. They're mixed in with even more oak trees. Of course, there are 4-5 other types of trees and lots of hard-to-get-to spots, but it's literally a mountain full of ash trees with small creeks flowing down everywhere. Should be some really nice finds this year :)

13. clutch2412

Sounds like you have a great spot! I am going to wait a while to get back in the woods. I did see other shroomers. Not only is it very early but it proves my spot isn't so secret. Stupid virus is going to make this a tough year for some of us. Early bird is definitely going to get the worm.

14. Chris Van Scoy

Chris Van Scoy Morel Enthusiast

Thank you for the information. I am hoping to find some. I haven't been able to get out for the last few years because of a vaccine injury so I am itching to finally try.

15. William Passmore

Oh yes, early bird does get the worm, but as us shroomers know sometimes it's better to wait for the right conditions and a fully grown morel than it is to hunt too early. Hopefully no amateurs ruin it for us by picking all the morel babies before they are able to mature into delicious dinner treats. I am inclined to believe that corona will actually help the yield of this year's hunt & harvest so the mushrooms can grow strong and untouched for longer. Long Live The Mushroom Spores :)

16. rjmichna

rjmichna Morel Enthusiast

Spent a couple hours out today. No finds, and my ground temp measurements are still low.

I did find a mess of Fiddleheads, so all good!

17. johnboy696

johnboy696 Morel Enthusiast

I’ve yet to ever find a ostrich fern fiddlehead. Always the fuzzy regular fern ones. Saw tons of those today tho. Prime if they were “real” tho ☹️

18. johnboy696

johnboy696 Morel Enthusiast

Found a good supply of ramps. Only grabbed a few from here n there tho. Gonna diced up a potato n fry bacon up n make a stoup for tomorrow’s lunch.

Attached Files:

19. Fiddler

Fiddler Young Morel

My son and I found a nice patch of ramps and picked around 25 lbs of fiddleheads. Been mushrooming for years but yet to find morels. Gd luck.

20. Jigger

Jigger Young Morel

06149543-6266-4E1C-8F66-19B53D1448E4.jpeg Found about 30-40 small ones in litchfield county today at the edge of a lawn under dying elm