Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts
Discussion starter · #68 ·
I had a bit of luck today!
Nice job RJ and Parker! I too had a good day. Found varying sized ones from the Diminutiva's to some big yellows. Ash , apple and elm were the producers. Put in a lot of miles but it's always such a fun adventure. Keep looking. Let's get some more. In my photos, I gave the smaller batch in the back of my car to a friend. He was on my route so getting back out was no problem.

Attachments

Nice job RJ and Parker! I too had a good day. Found varying sized ones from the Diminutiva's to some big yellows. Ash , apple and elm were the producers. Put in a lot of miles but it's always such a fun adventure. Keep looking. Let's get some more. In my photos, I gave the smaller batch in the back of my car to a friend. He was on my route so getting back out was no problem.
@clutch2412 Looks like you are having a nice season. I would eat your stumps if you left any behind. lol. NO Luck in Eau Claire County Wisconsin yet. Rain maybe tonight and tomorrow, if the weather forecasters can get anything correct. Over an inch of rain or so below normal, and cooler. Times are bad. I had to eat a couple pheasantbacks today. Better than store bought button mushrooms I guess. Wishing you the best.

Discussion starter · #70 ·
@clutch2412 Looks like you are having a nice season. I would eat your stumps if you left any behind. lol. NO Luck in Eau Claire County Wisconsin yet. Rain maybe tonight and tomorrow, if the weather forecasters can get anything correct. Over an inch of rain or so below normal, and cooler. Times are bad. I had to eat a couple pheasantbacks today. Better than store bought button mushrooms I guess. Wishing you the best.
Hey Inthewild!! Good to hear from you. Man, we had such a horrible Spring as well. It was looking pretty dire. We had the rain but our daytime temps could barely get out of the 40s and our night time temps were ridiculous! Finally got some heat now. Do not give up hope! Mother Nature is a mean one at times but she could come around. I will do a rain dance for your area along with some sunshine. It does drive ya nuts though. You wait all year and sometimes....you're waiting another year! Hang in there buddy.

Discussion starter · #72 ·
Nice finds! nothing here in SE CT for me. just the batch a few weeks ago. This is my first year seriously hunting morels so
I havent paid my dues yet ;)
Hey Robert. Do not be discouraged. This wasn't the greatest year on record. I Have not been in the woods since Saturday. Life got in the way. Back to work for the 1st time in 2 months on Monday. Was hoping to read some finds here. Not done for me yet just have to get a day to get out there. I think there are some to be found. Even if they are the big , past yellows. Those are nice to see on new hunting spots...give themselves away for next years hunt. Good luck to you and everyone else.

Well, I finally found one (1)! On Monday I guess they do exist, lol. Strangely it did not seem associated with any particular tree, mostly maple and birch closest but in an area that has obviously seen multiple forest types over a fairly short time period. It was on the berm of an old woods road and I almost stepped on it, no others found or cut stems seen. In the Hamden area about 300-400' for those that care.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #74 ·
Well, I finally found one (1)! On Monday I guess they do exist, lol. Strangely it did not seem associated with any particular tree, mostly maple and birch closest but in an area that has obviously seen multiple forest types over a fairly short time period. It was on the berm of an old woods road and I almost stepped on it, no others found or cut stems seen. In the Hamden area about 300-400' for those that care.
Freakin' A Roamer!! Nice job. I am happy for you. There is nothing like it. Let us know if you get out again.

Discussion starter · #75 ·
Looked pretty darn fresh too!

Freakin' A Roamer!! Nice job. I am happy for you. There is nothing like it. Let us know if you get out again.
Thanks! I'll be out again, hopefully spot some big yellows even if past for better hunting next year. Funny, I was out hiking with my GF yesterday, saw some guy acting kinda squirrly who hustled off as I approached. On my return I checked out the tree he had been by - a geocache - not mushrooms ;)

Looked pretty darn fresh too!
It was, very firm, quite small, maybe the size of my little finger but it was still tasty!

Discussion starter · #77 ·
Thanks! I'll be out again, hopefully spot some big yellows even if past for better hunting next year. Funny, I was out hiking with my GF yesterday, saw some guy acting kinda squirrly who hustled off as I approached. On my return I checked out the tree he had been by - a geocache - not mushrooms ;)

It was, very firm, quite small, maybe the size of my little finger but it was still tasty!
Those darn geocachers! We will take that all day over shroomers! I have to get out one more time in Ct. After seeing that shroom I'm pretty sure there are some to be had. North facing hill spots. Higher elevation areas maybe. It has gotten windy and dry. But if you don't go...ya don't know. I will hopefully report here soon. Good luck.

Fungus Medicinal mushroom Oyster mushroom Botany Organism
No morels today but these nice oysters on top of an oak log. I think I found him at the last minute another day they'd be bugged out. The bonus was I got a free Spore print :).
There were nice showers this morning an Tree Vegetation Nature reserve Natural landscape Natural environment
d supposedly we will all day so maybe tomorrow or the next day might pan out.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.