Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

201 - 220 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not too sure. Unfortunately I found those a ways north of the airbnb I rented. So it didn't help me figure out tomorrow. Staying in eastern Fulton county. Maybe Banner marsh, further south, or back north where I was today. It's a decision for the morning tbh. Didn't really have time to scout like I had planned as the detour in the woods used up my daylight.

Good luck!
Where u going if I may ask

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not too sure. Unfortunately I found those a ways north of the airbnb I rented. So it didn't help me figure out tomorrow. Staying in eastern Fulton county. Maybe Banner marsh, further south, or back north where I was today. It's a decision for the morning tbh. Didn't really have time to scout like I had planned as the detour in the woods used up my daylight.

Good luck!
Worked a big job at Duck Creek Station years ago so I spent a lot of time at Banner Marsh. There are some decent spots in that area.

·
Registered
87 Posts

Good luck!
Better double check on Banner Marsh. It is not on the DNR list of sites reopening.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Forget banner marah. Sorry guys not letting out my spot but the shroom gods have been good this morning. After driving 45 minutes I got to my spot right at 5:55, just in time to see the ranger opening the gate. Thought my phone was charging the whole drive. Cord fell out of the port shortly after take off and my phone was at 8%. Never being in the woods I'm in, I was a little skeptical going out with no phone so I parked near some woods, let my phone charge and poked around near my truck. And there, 25 yards from my truck was the best turn around start to a day of shroomin I've ever encountered.
P_20200501_062639_vHDR_Auto.jpg
Phones at 40% ! Time to shut er down and hit the woods for the day. Good luck all!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
They got whacked by a twister in 2015.
That is about an hour NW of here.
Enjoy The Kish.
Ya the whole town was destroyed was sad cleaned up for weeks they are doing good though and have a new town pretty much was thinking of hitting up the woods by Dixon

·
Registered
270 Posts
They should have a white bulb at the end and have a pretty strong smell of garlic and onion to them there are 2 types the one from that pic is the ones with skinny leaves and the other has wider darker green leaves with red or pink at the base
Ramps will come in 2 different forms in Wisconsin. Red and White stem. 2-3 leaves. Pronounced bulb on end.

I am glad you asked: Which tastes better? In my opinion (which of course is open to standard rebuttal) is:
Red bulb starts mild onion/garlic and quickly wanes. Leaves start bitterish and wane to slight hot.
White bulb starts out strong onion and stays hot. Leaves starts bland and finishes slight hot. This is all based on uncooked plants.
Ramps Red vs White1.jpg

I know, I didn't say which tastes better in my opinion, so sue me! lol

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all just curious on what everyone’s thoughts are about tomorow and upcoming week for central Illinois and morel findings. Basically Macon county which I reside in. Just signed up as a member on here. Good luck to all and thanks for any replies

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Hello all just curious on what everyone’s thoughts are about tomorow and upcoming week for central Illinois and morel findings. Basically Macon county which I reside in. Just signed up as a member on here. Good luck to all and thanks for any replies
I would guess your season should be winding down

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok..but Stealth Hunting was Better with parks Closed...Right
My wife talked me out of going unfortunately. The park officially open at 6:30 am yesterday I went to one of my honey holes only to feel my heart drop in my stomach.....I see cut stumps everywhere. My spot had been found but not thoroughly picked. I must have stopped counting around 20 stumps i was so upset. I found 10 decent sized yellows that managed to stay hidden. My wife made her inconspicuous "I found some" call a 100 or so feet away and another spot that usually only produces a few produced a decent amount.
20200501_162243.jpg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I hunt some sandy soil. A brush is a beautiful thing.
If you don't cut them, you can't leave "stumps for chumps".
I will be out for the first time after this rain they are promising for Saturday.
The woods be pretty parched and they are calling for up to 2".
Should rock...
So.......hunted near the dunes today......wish I had a brush for a few
Resized_Resized_DSC_0088.jpeg

201 - 220 of 268 Posts