Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

261 - 268 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Found these big guys yesterday in thick brush. Biggest I've ever found. Ground foliage is coming in thick with all the rain. Hoping another couple weeks to continue finding some?
When you find those, it's damned near over. Days at best.

Where you iz?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm out of streamwood in cook county. Either way, I cant complain about this season. Maybe get another trip or 2 just to see what all the rain does.
Better hurry. It is time to go deep.
I used to work in that area. There were a ton of dead elms 28 years ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tons of new growth guys! Went back to a few of my spots and counted well over 100 button size morels. I didnt pick any but am going to go back in a couple of days to see what the growth is like.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Tree was the best. I had all of his books. There wasn't much info available back then. I actually bought him lunch and a couple libations a few years back in Magnolia. He autographed a book for my shroomin' partner: To Luke, the blindest piece-of-sh!t in the forest. Love, Larry.
Got out for an hour this afternoon.
View attachment 33948
I never met him, but have heard great stories. I was at the last two Magnolia events, all of the Henry events and all of the Ottawa events. Sad that the Illinois State Championship Hunt is finished.

This year we, of course, did not travel for our mushroom hunts, but we had a great year here in the St. Louis area.

What is the furthest North that you go to hunt? I think my friend is in Northern Michigan right now!

·
Registered
230 Posts
We used to travel to Columbia County(WI), but not any more.
I will be sixty-four soon - that terrain is a deal breaker these days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
What a great morel season in the Peoria area, they just kept coming, guess we don't need those 70 degree dys and 55 at night

261 - 268 of 268 Posts