Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

161 - 180 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any Richland county finds. I haven’t found squat, have some spots up north but I think this cold weather we have had has effected a few counties this year. I know they r killing them south and west of me. Just seems like the Illinois Indiana border counties aren’t doing that good from what I’ve seen

·
Registered
230 Posts
Any Richland county finds. I haven’t found squat, have some spots up north but I think this cold weather we have had has effected a few counties this year. I know they r killing them south and west of me. Just seems like the Illinois Indiana border counties aren’t doing that good from what I’ve seen
It's been dry according to friends in the area. This rain should help if you get enough of it.
Tell those white squirrels that i said hello.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The wife is complaining about dandelions.
The ol' indicator tree has flower buds on it.
It is raining with a chance of at least an inch.
Most of my woodland camo got doused with Sawyer's yesterday.
The shroomin' staff got a fresh(third) coat of stain and a brass tip(12g shell).
The vest is filled with snacks, water, a knife, a brush, a spare battery for the cell phone, and several mesh bags.
I can almost taste them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
From Dale Bowman of the Chicago Sun-Times:

"with no turkey hunting at the IDNR sites that reopen, no longer do morel foragers or birdwatchers need to wait until 1 p.m. to begin wandering the woods and fields. They can begin doing so at dawn on May 1 at those sites
reopening."

This may be a bit late for our southern brethren and sistren.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
From Dale Bowman of the Chicago Sun-Times:

"with no turkey hunting at the IDNR sites that reopen, no longer do morel foragers or birdwatchers need to wait until 1 p.m. to begin wandering the woods and fields. They can begin doing so at dawn on May 1 at those sites
reopening."

This may be a bit late for our southern brethren and sistren.
Let’s hope so I have some good spots I can’t get to atm

·
Registered
230 Posts
They should have a white buld at the end and have a pretty strong smell of garlic and onion to them there are 2 types the one from that poc is the ones with skinny leaves and the other has wider darker green leaves with red or pink at the base
Good eye. I was near my "red patch" today. I will go back in a few days and snap a pic so folks can see the difference.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Do they smell like cauliflower?
i found something that looks similar but no bulb and smelled like cauliflower
They should have a white bulb at the end and have a pretty strong smell of garlic and onion to them there are 2 types the one from that pic is the ones with skinny leaves and the other has wider darker green leaves with red or pink at the base
I kind of wondered what we were looking at there. I thought those might be ramps, but they look quite a bit different than the ones I find around here. All I've ever found are the "red lower stem" variety. Never the white stem. Took a walk in a patch of woods today that features a mix of sycamore and black cherry. It's a low spot with a little trickle of a creek flowing through it, and a look toward the south/southwest. The undergrowth was up pretty high. but I went to check it out. The place was chock full of Virginia Bluebell, and ramps! Acres and acres of them!

161 - 180 of 268 Posts