Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2801 - 2820 of 2854 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Weird, I’ve found all of mine by oaks. Red oaks to be precise. I see you got some nice cinnabars too!
Ya, I believe it and that's good news in general. I have plenty of oaks around, plenty! Mature too.

And it's kind of cool to have a spot that is against that general rule.

Been finding a few fire chants, yes. Thanks for noticing!!!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I take dehydrated chants put them in a food processor grind them up into dust and little chunks great on meat and fish
Very good!

Dumb question time: is that dehydrator worth it? I've long wanted one and since all I like to do it hunt mushrooms, it always seemed like a no-brainer. Give me a reason to buy one!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Very good!

Dumb question time: is that dehydrator worth it? I've long wanted one and since all I like to do it hunt mushrooms, it always seemed like a no-brainer. Give me a reason to buy one!!!
Works great mine doesn’t have a fan it’s a cheap one but works I use it on shrooms veggies and meat

·
Registered
149 Posts
Very good!

I love the dehydrator I got from bass pro. 10 trays that get filled with chants and others. Allows you to enjoy mushrooms all winter! It works real well for hen of the woods. I bag all the dried stuff and store in a large Tupperware tub in the garage.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Just thought i would leave this here for you guys. I pocked them today and could have filled the basket but im going to go back again next week and should be able to get aboit the some. There was a ton of little ones just starting out there too
20200722_125337.jpg

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
jdaniels313 - pretty dang sure #4 are coprinoids aKa inky caps ;)
I think you're probably right. Our C. comatus don't look like that when they "ink out". It might be a C. atramentaria (alcohol Inky) which I have yet to find. Really cool photo though! Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow! Those are beauties. I've never found any of that size, but then I found them for the first time last year. All of mine seem to be smooth chants, no false gills. Maybe they don't run as big as those. Then again, the pic you posted of the habitat shows it to be a lot more lush then the oak ridge I find mine on. Hmmm. I just thought of a place near a creek that I should check out.

2801 - 2820 of 2854 Posts