Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2861 - 2880 of 2910 Posts

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
I would like to ask you knuckleheads that have the courage to hunt Chants and probably suffer from a chronic case of "SWASS", (Thanks Nosky for providing an eloquent was to describe swamp a$$) How do you prepare the finds and how would you describe the flavor and texture?
I found one last year but did not harvest. If the temps. drop into the "cool" upper 70s I will give it a shot.
I work in a hot environment, so dealing with SWASS is already a part time job for me now and do not need to "inflame" the situation any more. Shroom on my friends

·
Registered
596 Posts
mmh-

These were from yesterday in Central OH which is on the same latitude as Indianapolis.

They were so fragrant - smelling like apricots - that I was inspired to make a Chanterelle & Shrimp pie and invite my mushroom hunting neighbor. I use the recipe that Jack posted several years ago for Chanterelle Crawdad Pie.

This tastes so superb that I make it every year since my first try.

I also made my (7 year running) Chanterelle favorite: Chanterelle, yellow wax bean, yellow corn chowder. Because wife and & are both crazy over this I make it several times each season. It is posted first on the "Mushroom Dinner Pics & Recipes" forum as is the Pie.

Then comes Chants with scramboled eggs -- so easy and complimentary in taste pairing.

Happy Hunting everyone.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I would like to ask you knuckleheads that have the courage to hunt Chants and probably suffer from a chronic case of "SWASS", (Thanks Nosky for providing an eloquent was to describe swamp a$$) How do you prepare the finds and how would you describe the flavor and texture?
I found one last year but did not harvest. If the temps. drop into the "cool" upper 70s I will give it a shot.
I work in a hot environment, so dealing with SWASS is already a part time job for me now and do not need to "inflame" the situation any more. Shroom on my friends
Go to WalMart and check out Hanes X-Temp underwear. It is moisture wicking. It helps if you also have moisture wicking outerwear. A couple years ago I started changing all my golf clothes over into moisture wicking stuff. I looked at Under Armor, but $28 for 2 pair of undershorts was past me. Depending on the store, you can get 4 or 5 pair of Hanes for about $14. I no longer own any cotton underwear. Also, make sure you get the 100% polyester stuff. It works the best. Sure takes care of the SWASS.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I also have an old wooden box of number stamps from 0 to 9. I completely forget how they came into my possession, but they have come in handy. Quite a few years ago a buddy of mine who had moved to the Pittsburgh, PA area for work bought a boat from my next door neighbor and kept it at my place.

When he wanted to sell the boat, the state of PA wanted a serial number for the boat trailer! I crawled all over that trailer and could find no such thing! We finally just made up a number and I stamped it into one of the frame rails with those stamps!

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
I also have an old wooden box of number stamps from 0 to 9. I completely forget how they came into my possession, but they have come in handy. Quite a few years ago a buddy of mine who had moved to the Pittsburgh, PA area for work bought a boat from my next door neighbor and kept it at my place.

When he wanted to sell the boat, the state of PA wanted a serial number for the boat trailer! I crawled all over that trailer and could find no such thing! We finally just made up a number and I stamped it into one of the frame rails with those stamps!
Yep.. @shroomsearcher ...
Thats gonna be my main use for them
There are so very many trailers for sale cheap..with out title.. and will need a number..and lots of free boat and trailers..
But their Anti-Mushroom 🍄 😳
Features will always be concerning Me

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts

I was given my Grandfathers fishing boat and trailer when he passed ( many fond memories of time with him fishing) the boat had a title but the trailer did not, had a guy in our tool room make a hand stamped serial number to rivet on the trailer so no problem getting proper registation for it.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Go to WalMart and check out Hanes X-Temp underwear. It is moisture wicking. It helps if you also have moisture wicking outerwear. A couple years ago I started changing all my golf clothes over into moisture wicking stuff. I looked at Under Armor, but $28 for 2 pair of undershorts was past me. Depending on the store, you can get 4 or 5 pair of Hanes for about $14. I no longer own any cotton underwear. Also, make sure you get the 100% polyester stuff. It works the best. Sure takes care of the SWASS.
Gold bond products also help.

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
Gold Bond does, but only up to a point. Especially with cotton garments. Combine Gold Bond with moisture wicking materials and it's pure magic! Nothing sticks to anything else!
WHAT ??.. is all this
"Tuff Men Outdoorsmen"
Talk about Underwear....
* I haven't even worn underwear since I turned 16 years old in 1979.!!
Why ?... Because I figured that when out on a date...or at any opportune time..
That a Ladie was taken a liken to me and about give herself into my arms..
I sure didn't need to be wasting 1 extra second with My Own underwear..
and given Her even that 1 second to maybe change her mind...oh no...

* also heres a pic of something I found today
** and I use "Cortisone Cream" to get through the miles in the woods

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
WHAT ??.. is all this
"Tuff Men Outdoorsmen"
Talk about Underwear....
View attachment 36474 View attachment 36475

·
Registered
538 Posts
WHAT ??.. is all this
"Tuff Men Outdoorsmen"
Talk about Underwear....
View attachment 36474 View attachment 36475
* also heres a pic of something I found today
** and I use "Cortisone Cream" to get through the miles in the woods
Being "comfortable" in the woods allows you to go more miles. I'm now 67 so I'm not that open to discomfort or inconvenience. I want thing as easily as I can possibly get them! Short of buying them in a grocery store.

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
Being "comfortable" in the woods allows you to go more miles. I'm now 67 so I'm not that open to discomfort or inconvenience. I want thing as easily as I can possibly get them! Short of buying them in a grocery store.
Yep.. i Agree Man..
And We will be hunting and finding Morels again here in just, 240 day.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The white ones on the log are comb tooth coral they are delicious
Thanks, after some investigating figured they were a type of coral, my buddies and i are still hesitant about expanding our mushroom menu beyond morels. The chanterelles were fairly dry and tough, so we didn't figure they would cook well at that point. I will make an effort to get out there next year a little earlier and to look for them.

The puffball was huge, and later in the night, one of the younger guys punted it, the scene that followed was similar to Ghost Busters blowing up the Stay Puff guy. Here's and intereting observation. We threw a large wad of Puffball guts on the fire, a large hot fire, and 15 minutes later the guts were still sitting there, seemingly fire proof. Took over 30 minutes to begin to brown and burn.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yep.. i Agree Man..
And We will be hunting and finding Morels again here in just, 240 day.
I hope you are right! We had a terrible morel season here this year. Checked all my usual spots at various times, nothing doing! Looked at new spots, also nothing doing!

·
Super Moderator
1,926 Posts
I hope you are right! We had a terrible morel season here this year. Checked all my usual spots at various times, nothing doing! Looked at new spots, also nothing doing!
Then I'd Think you missed um by being there too early or another very experienced hunter got in to them just before you...
Did you look late also like a week even two weeks late would have encompassed the whole time line.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The latest I've found them around here is May 22, and they were the Morchella crassipes, the big ones. I looked until May 30 this year, and not a one! I know there's someone who hunts one of the same spots I do. They hunt the weekends, so I thought to short circuit that by heading out on Thursday or Friday. And I can spot the stumps they leave because they cut their morels with a knife just like I do. I found stumps last year, which is how I figured out their schedule. No stumps this year.

This was a weird Spring. Much drier than last year. The apple trees are normally blooming like crazy at peak morel time, since around them is where I find most of mine. Very few flowers on the apple trees this Spring. Same with the dogwoods!

Oh well, there's always next year. I'll head out again tomorrow or the next day to see if there are more Chants. I figure the new chicken log I found this year is played out for the season unless we get some absolutely torrential rain! But, I'm certain that this is the first year that chickens have popped on that log since I've been walking past it for years! So I figure I got chickens in the future.

And we'll see about the hens and pinkies toward Fall. 2 years ago was great for them around here, but last year was a bust. All you can do is keep looking.

2861 - 2880 of 2910 Posts