Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2881 - 2900 of 2941 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,932 Posts
The latest I've found them around here is May 22, and they were the Morchella crassipes, the big ones. I looked until May 30 this year, and not a one! I know there's someone who hunts one of the same spots I do. They hunt the weekends, so I thought to short circuit that by heading out on Thursday or Friday. And I can spot the stumps they leave because they cut their morels with a knife just like I do. I found stumps last year, which is how I figured out their schedule. No stumps this year.

This was a weird Spring. Much drier than last year. The apple trees are normally blooming like crazy at peak morel time, since around them is where I find most of mine. Very few flowers on the apple trees this Spring. Same with the dogwoods!

Oh well, there's always next year. I'll head out again tomorrow or the next day to see if there are more Chants. I figure the new chicken log I found this year is played out for the season unless we get some absolutely torrential rain! But, I'm certain that this is the first year that chickens have popped on that log since I've been walking past it for years! So I figure I got chickens in the future.

And we'll see about the hens and pinkies toward Fall. 2 years ago was great for them around here, but last year was a bust. All you can do is keep looking.
Good Morning Everyone..
Back at ya @shroomsearcher ..
Even when someone else got in ahead of me..they've never gotten them all..
Like you say.. it must be the Weather
and partly the Mystery, that is not ment for Man to ever comprehend.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Has anyone here heard of the movie "Fantastic Fungi"? Something about it was posted on a thread on another page here that I ran into by accident. I checked it out and was blown away! It illustrates just how amazing mushrooms are. Talk about the mystery than man is not meant to comprehend!

You can probably still find it on Vimeo, which is the host site for it. I originally rented it for a limited time viewing. I went back and bought it, so that I can watch it whenever I wish!

I have to admit to being kind of proud that one of the principal "characters" in the film is a local product. His name is Paul Stamets, and he grew up in Columbiana, OH, a small town about 10-15 miles south of where I live. The dude has lived an interesting life, and is absolutely amazing. He has a company in Washington state, and British Columbia, Canada, called Fungi Perfecti.

He has found ways to use fungal mycelia to prevent Colony Collapse Disorder to protect bees, and also used them to eradicate, and then prevent, termite infestation.

In other related videos, he had found ways of combating carpenter ant infestation. And, in a "Ted Talk", he reveals how he cured his mothers disease with mushrooms!

I don't want to prattle on too long. I'd rather that you discover this for yourselves.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Also, look up Paul Stamets on YouTube, and watch that Ted Talk he gave. Phenomenal! There's also an interview he did with Joe Rogan, but it's pretty lengthy. You need to invest some time to see the whole thing.

·
Registered
597 Posts
For discerning between the Honey and the toxic Galerina go to this utube video by Adam Harriman:
Honey Mushroom vs Galerina
This (line above) should show be an active link to the YouTube video.
or click below:

Found my first 2020 Jack-O-Lantern yesterday (Chanterelle sort-a look-alikes)

Happy Hunting everyone.

·
Registered
259 Posts
They sure look good enough to eat ..
But ????
Nope, not tasting.
For discerning between the Honey and the toxic Galerina go to this utube video by Adam Harriman:
Honey Mushroom vs Galerina
This (line above) should show be an active link to the YouTube video.
or click below:

Found my first 2020 Jack-O-Lantern yesterday (Chanterelle sort-a look-alikes)

Happy Hunting everyone.
Thanks for the info, wasn't going to try them, if there too much discerning to do, I have to pass. Probably should have tried the comb tooth coral i found a few weeks ago after getting some info, and doing some investigating.

·
Registered
290 Posts
So, did my first ever spore print, one of the things distinguishing honey mushrooms from deadly galerina is a white spore print vs brownish if it’s galerina. Still not ready to try. View attachment 36593
Cool print... It’s always good to learn and I try to use every resource I can and would like to thank everyone on this forum for all there help for me and others in our quest for knowledge..we all know when in doubt toss it out but have you tried when in doubt feed your spouse... This has work for me with my first 12 wives ( I’m not good at mushroom ID) but I do learn............ I hope I don’t really need to say this but just kidding..... good luck to all..

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
You gotta get 'em before they hit the ground or shortly thereafter. Wildlife (coons and deer) come on the double when they smell those things! I've never found any, but have looked many times. Supposed to be delicious. Combo of pineapple and banana. You can shred them to make paw paw bread, or just peel and eat.

I read a post that said the way they draw deer, we should put out an over ripe banana when we hunt!

2881 - 2900 of 2941 Posts