Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
2921 - 2940 of 2948 Posts

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts
The hens are really coming on now in the NE. I have 12 freezer bags full of cleaned pieces that I'll pickle or make jerky. My wife says that I have a problem. The spare fridge is filling up and there are still more growing. Go get ya some!
You may very well have a problem but its a good problem, dwindling fridge space.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The hens are really coming on now in the NE. I have 12 freezer bags full of cleaned pieces that I'll pickle or make jerky.
What a haul! I’m jealous.

Anyone know of any good places to camp for free near NWI? I’d like to rough it for a couple days while it’s still warm, but I don’t want to camp next to a bunch of other tents and rvs.

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Hey Wade! Glad to see you're still kickin'! I've been a little distant with all the fire excitement, but I'm doing a rain dance and need a 'mushroom fix' hopefully soon! I'm hoping for some Shaggy Manes if we get a little moisture. How's that little shroom-mobile of yours doin'?
Doin Real Good Here @jdaniels313 and Everyone.. I've had to dedicate my focus for the past four months to working on My 1953 ford Jubilee/ NAA Tractor..
If it doesn't Rain much today I will complete the final timing and carburetor adjustments and have it back in the field working..
Then I will be Digging in for Winter and building up My little ..
"Treehugger/ 98 Tracker" getting it Ready for spring 2021 Morel Season.
With in Which.. I intend to travel and follow The Progression in March then in April back Home to Monroe Co. Indiana
For Our Local Hunting.
Thank You
from Wade

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here’s a great way to use a large batch of mushrooms, if you’re looking for ideas.
I’ve made this recipe a couple of times now and it’s a winner.

Grilled pickled mushrooms

Ingredients:

• Wild mushrooms (so far I’ve used maitake and honeys, both turned out great)
  • Olive oil (or other oil of your choice)
  • Fresh thyme
  • Bay leaves
  • Fresh garlic
  • White vinegar
  • Mason jars

Steps:

Preheat grill to medium high heat.

Wash and prepare mushrooms. For the maitakes, I cut them into big ¾ inch slabs for grilling. The honeys I left whole and used a grill pan to keep them neat.

You will use a 3:1 ratio of water to vinegar; for 2lbs of mushrooms I use 3 cups of water and a cup of vinegar.

In a pot on the stovetop, combine the water with a few sprigs of thyme, a few bay leaves, whole garlic cloves, salt, and any other seasonings. I start with a couple teaspoons of salt and adjust to taste once everything is combined in the jars.

Bring the liquid to a boil while the mushrooms are grilling, then turn the heat down to low.

Thoroughly coat the mushrooms with oil and place on the grill. Grill until nicely marked/browned and barely cooked through—they should still have some firmness.

When the mushrooms are done grilling, cut them into bite size pieces if needed, and place them in the pickling liquid. Add the vinegar, stir everything to combine, and turn off the heat.

At this point I leave everything to cool for a few minutes before putting into jars. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the mushrooms into jars until they are mostly filled, then add enough of the liquid to fill to the top. Try to distribute the seasoning ingredients evenly between the jars. You can taste and adjust the salt at this point—I prefer to wait until they’re cold. I usually end up adding some more water as well to reduce the acidity.

Refrigerate overnight and enjoy! Feel free to experiment with other seasonings in the pickling mix—other herbs, peppercorns, sugar come to mind.

·
Super Moderator
732 Posts
Hey, All
I just emerged from COVID quarantine. I feel very fortunate, my symptoms were relatively mild compared to some of the stories I have heard.
Stay safe my friends. MMH/Alex

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Hey, All
I just emerged from COVID quarantine. I feel very fortunate, my symptoms were relatively mild compared to some of the stories I have heard.
Stay safe my friends. MMH/Alex
@mmh .. Man..You are Healthy like a Bear..
Only about 160 days till Morels are Popping here in Indiana again..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep looks like oysters to me found some the other day when I picked up my deer meat at the processor deer steaks and oysters were pretty good

·
Super Moderator
1,937 Posts
Howdy Yall... Wade here...
I Barely Remember Woodstock, like most concerts I've been to..
But at age 6.. in August 1969 my Mother and Me jumped in to a Chevy Van with some other Hippies/family and rolled out of our little country town of Gosport Indiana. Monroe County
We had seen it on T.V. News..
in my Grand parents living room just a day earlier .. I Remember saying, Mom look its all our People We gotta go there
We also chained me to the front of a Bulldozer in Monroe County that Year trying to save our Forest..
and so much more to tell..
I Love Walking in the Woods & Mushrooms

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Doin Real Good Here @jdaniels313 and Everyone.. I've had to dedicate my focus for the past four months to working on My 1953 ford Jubilee/ NAA Tractor..
If it doesn't Rain much today I will complete the final timing and carburetor adjustments and have it back in the field working..
Then I will be Digging in for Winter and building up My little ..
"Treehugger/ 98 Tracker" getting it Ready for spring 2021 Morel Season.
With in Which.. I intend to travel and follow The Progression in March then in April back Home to Monroe Co. Indiana
For Our Local Hunting.
Thank You
from Wade View attachment 36849 View attachment 36850 View attachment 36851
View attachment 36852 View attachment 36854 View attachment 36855
Wow! What a cool project! It's looking great Wade; but I gotta say, that "Morel Assault Vehicle" is lookin' ready, willing, and able for spring shroomin' too! (as well as the 'co-pilot' there at the bottom left!) We finally got a little rain to help with the wildfires so I'm heading out to look for (anything!) Shaggy Manes and maby Matsutake or Chanterelle. All this virus crop has given me cabin fever and a bad attitude so I'm heading out to Mom Nature for some "therapy"! Good Luck finalizing the tractor Wade! Happy Shroomin' Wade..

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Hey Everyone, with Big Brother trying to seperate us from our jobs, our friends, our families and most of our reasons for living, I'd like to send out a positive note to you all. This is a 4 minute video made for National Mushroom Month and I think a real breath of fresh air we all could use. I hope you all have a great Thanksgiving! Here's the link:

2921 - 2940 of 2948 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.