!2020 INDIANA *MORELS*, *CHANTERELLES* and all other *FUNGI* CONVERSATION and UPDATES post here!

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by br5, Jan 11, 2020.

1. jslwalls

jslwalls Morel Connoisseur

Well I’ve tried to stay off of here as long as possible but here I am. It’s not that I dislike you all. I just can’t handle the excitement and long wait until spring. I’ve always thought that time crawls in January and February. But since you all are talking of earliest finds, mine are a few blacks on March 7th and a few greys on March 10. Both finds in Montgomery county and that was super rare year. The season was over almost just as April was starting. I’ve never seen anything like it before.

2. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@jslwalls and Everyone, so good to see you up and on here..
    The Mystery and Our Love for the Hunt
    Will Always Be...
    i feel so Overwhelmed, just thinking about how Fortunate we are, as we
    are all about to share Our Wonderful Morel Hunting season... R.O.C.K. in the U.S.A

3. Mushroom Geologist

Mushroom Geologist Morel Connoisseur

I predict Texas will be first on the board!!!!! Weather already just right for them to make a surprise visit early this year. Rain and lack of a real winter should make for an early season for us.

1 person likes this.
  4. jashroomer

jashroomer Morel Connoisseur

A find was posted January 7th on the California page. Hoping for early and often for all.

3 people like this.
  5. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Just read a book about hunting truffles in Italy and France and how they train dogs to find them. Some are born to hunt. People actually steal the dogs over there due to the price of wild truffles. Looks like your dog may have a knack you did not know of. I don't remember the breed they use over there.

1 person likes this.
  6. wade

@kb .. Thank You Man, Chewy Really is such a good one..
    and as i said, im Just begining to learn how to listen to him..
    Perhaps he will be the first one to walk up on a Mother Load and just be sit'n there Smiling Looking at me.. Until i listen Screenshot_20200201-203654_Gallery.jpg

7. Robinbluebird

Robinbluebird Morel Enthusiast

@jashroomer Nothing.. already this year?

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Robinbluebird

I see nothing.

9. Robinbluebird

Here guys I found some good sweets for valentine's day .. 20200202_231539.jpg
    Yes, they are made of Chocolate

10. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

Man's best friend right there in so many ways!

11. guff76

guff76 Morel Connoisseur

What are those? Carvings or a actual candy looking like a shrooms?

1 person likes this.
  12. Stelthshroomer

Stelthshroomer Morel Connoisseur

60 yesterday got me to thinking about the up coming season. I thought it was time to check the boards as I know we are in for a early season this year. I am not suprised to see you guys already got 4 pages up. Thats awsome! I got out Saturday and found some nice fresh oysters growing on a dead birch tree and I found what looked like a nice clump of Noki mushrooms on the dead birch next to the oysters. My three hour hike did not turn up any other finds. Still nice to find good food in the forests of Chicago land in febuary what a crazy winter.

13. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Hey Wade, I always thought about training my Lab to sniff out shrooms! I figured if they can train pigs to hunt truffles, why not? But she was 12 years old and really just wanted sit on the tailgate and watch me. Those are real cool photos too! (I love Labs!)

2 people like this.
  14. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Got your message Wade, thanks. Jd they quite using pigs for the truffles cause they tend to eat them and tear up the ground disturbing the growth for future years. Dogs are the go to animal now. Easier to use and train for obvious reasons. The book I read on truffles was really interesting. Due to the prices of European truffles the competition to find them and who gets to pick where has reached dangerous levels. Thieves steal good dogs if not guarded. Competitors set out poison to kill the competitions dogs when hunting. According to the book many of the truffles sold in restaurants as European are actually cheaper Chinese versions, but priced as if from Italy or France. Never had a truffle in my life. Wish I could remember the name of the book to pass on. The most interesting part to me was on their growth and their symbiotic relationship with certain Oak trees and types of limestone soil. Made me think about morels and their relationship with some trees and soils. Looking forward to the season. I tend to do a lot of scouting of timbers this time of year to keep the legs ready and not waste time in bad areas in season.

5 people like this.
  15. kb

kb Morel Connoisseur

Chewy looks like a winner to me Wade. I'm sure like most dogs if he thinks you will like it he will do his best to find them. There used to be a hunter in Mid- Missouri a decade or so ago that had two dogs he called Thunderbolt and Lightfoot that he said would locate morels for him and bark to let him know. Not sure what breed they were. Have not seen him post in many years though.

3 people like this.
  16. jdaniels313

jdaniels313 Morel Connoisseur

Thanks for the info kb; very interesting for sure! Good luck this season!

1 person likes this.
  17. wade

@stealthshroomer.
    Thats Awesome, and Thank You for the Excellent Reporting

18. wade

@pastorj ...
    pastorj... is out of Southern Georgia
    some of us have already seen his Avatar picture..some may not have yet..
    this just might Remain The Cutest Morel Hunting Picture for all time..... Screenshot_20200205-115012_Samsung Internet.jpg

19. Tool fan

Tool fan Morel Connoisseur

I got an itch I can’t wait to scratch
    Happy 2020 just thought I’d check in

4 people like this.