2020-Kentucky-Spring

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by morelseeeker, Mar 6, 2020.

1. StaceAk

StaceAk Morel Enthusiast

Went again today in Grayson co. Found 226 ....some were small some were dried up..but still a nice day!

Attached Files:

2. Jacob Meadows

Jacob Meadows Morel Enthusiast

Great Job!

Olivia Yates likes this.

3. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Very Nice.. i Love Mammoth Cave Area

Olivia Yates likes this.
  4. YellaMorchella

YellaMorchella Morel Enthusiast

5. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Got 3 more today! I know it's not alot BUT hey I'm just happy to be getting some... By the way is it still early for the bigger blondes?

Attached Files:

6. StaceAk

StaceAk Morel Enthusiast

Congrats!!

7. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Connoisseur

I love Trilliiums. I transplanted some from one of my spots to my yard, and they are just about to bloom!

Olivia Yates and StaceAk like this.
  8. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Picked 12 blacks Friday in a new spot in Edmonson county. 1st time to hunt that property. Added another 13 yellows/greys today in Hart while taking my grandson turkey hunting.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    StaceAk and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Goomba shroom!

Goomba shroom! Morel Enthusiast

Nothing today in Menifee county. Third time going out and still no luck. Unfortunately access to a few of my spots are closed due to covid-19. The hills of Menifee still may need a couple of warmer nights and hopefully some will pop. Anyone around Morehead having any luck yet?

10. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Excuse me? It's obvious you have a computer, so go on your state's DNR website and look for the regs! JEEZ! How much sense does that take? Know the regs BEFORE you go in! And beware of rangers who say you have to forfeit your morels. They could just be looking for a good meal on the cheap.

I knew a guy who got "busted" for morel hunting where it was totally legal, and he knew it! But, there's a big, tall ranger, armed and threatening him with violence. What's he supposed to do? He made a show of handing the ranger his bag, but pulled it back at the last minute. He then squished every morel in that bag! Turned them all into mush! He then handed the bag back to the ranger saying, "Here you go! You can have them now!"

He said if looks could kill, he'd be buried 60 foot deep!

11. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i love this up yours ..mr. Ranger ..story

12. Bub shep

Bub shep Young Morel

Anyone round Harlan know of any hickory chickens yet my hot spots ain't produced yet or staying dormant this year Im usually finding by now ramps have Been up awhile bears lettuce too

13. Bub shep

Bub shep Young Morel

Any knowledge is welcome always willing to learn more I wanna be able to feed my family when nothing is available in life so knowledge is key to survival any info greatly appreciated

14. bexinthewoods

bexinthewoods Morel Enthusiast

Waiting for that rain! Anyone find any this weekend during this mini-dry spell? Planning to go hunting during the peak of the rain storm to deter the apparent fellow hunter in my park spot (only park around the area not closed because of the virus, saw footprints on Friday and only 1 morel found when the previous pattern was ~10 each trip)? I did manage to find about 6 MASSIVE turkeys in one of my private spots, but brought the wrong tools for that job! Lol.

My selected trails in Mammoth and in other popular nature areas were PACKED, so many people and absolutely nothing (not even other fungi).

Here's a question: Is the shut down positive for more hunters to have the time to hunt, or negative because it causes a lot of hunters to have to search harder/farther/longer with their spots being closed/crowded/discovered? Food for thought! All apart of the hunt, in my opinion, but I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts!

1 person likes this.
  15. bexinthewoods

bexinthewoods Morel Enthusiast

Here's a photo of my one find on Friday morning, when I discovered the footprints:
    IMG_6543.JPG

16. BlakeDaniel

BlakeDaniel Morel Enthusiast

Hey there. I posted a few days ago that i had just found my first morel. I went back to the same general area with no luck a couple times. Is anyone else hunting in Oldham County, too early here for peak hunting? Also, I plan to go out again after our next good rain, will they be showing themselves a day or so after the rain hits, or should I wait a little longer? Thanks for any advice.

StaceAk likes this.
  17. Olivia Yates

Olivia Yates Morel Enthusiast

I’m right down the road in Henry county! I’ve been out every other day this week and nothing! Hoping this rain coming in helps!

BlakeDaniel and (deleted member) like this.
  18. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

C3E6D960-0AA1-4F85-ABE2-9F710004276D.jpeg 2A9F55F3-23F5-4E45-A47D-CDDD39AFE294.jpeg My wife and I had a cool day today. We picked 43 total this morning in Jefferson county. What was so cool is that we found 22 big yellows/greys all under 1 apple tree, 4 blacks of which 3 were very fresh, 9 half frees and 8 of the small grey/yellow variety. I don’t believe I have ever found all four of those varieties in the same day. My son and I took a walk on our 11 acres this afternoon checking around poplars and found 4 small yellows under 1 of the big poplars.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  19. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

Yes. From the pics you posted, you are killing babies!