2020-Kentucky-Spring

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by morelseeeker, Mar 6, 2020.

1. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

now you reminded me..
    Folks down there. .Said WELL alot
    used it as an Expression Regularly
    Well... that is so Cool to remember now..
    and i do use Well Regularly
    and most thought i said Man ! too much
    and i still do .. i like it Man

Dfiggy28 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Taylor Clayton

Taylor Clayton Morel Enthusiast

Couldn’t stand it anymore, picked 12 today. Left 4 to grow. 354A5323-A62C-4519-B614-CC5678C09E05.jpeg

3. Dfiggy28

Dfiggy28 Morel Enthusiast

I say man a lot too. Hahaha. Oh well.

1 person likes this.
  4. Dfiggy28

I still haven't found anything. I'm going to check a few more spots this weekend. I still have about 130 acres to comb through here then I'll move to my other farm. Its only 65 acres but its a great place. We'll see. My forsythia is blooming and my neighbor daffodils are up. Hopefully I come across something.

2 people like this.
  5. Coaster Dad

Coaster Dad Morel Enthusiast

You south of the Kentucky river?

6. Dfiggy28

No. I'm right on the Ohio River. In between Cincinnati and Ashland.

1 person likes this.
  7. Goomba shroom!

Goomba shroom! Morel Enthusiast

Howdy everybody! Excited for a new season. Heading out to Menifee county tomorrow for my first hunt of the season! Happy shroomin everyone!

8. Coaster Dad

Coaster Dad Morel Enthusiast

Gotcha. We’re South of Lexington and things are just a little early here. Never found many blacks in the area, but gray and yellow show up often. Good luck this year. I’ll be waiting on the redbuds I guess.

9. Dianna

Dianna Morel Enthusiast

I hope its a good year for each and everyone of you . Happy hunting and good luck.

Dfiggy28 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Dianna

Dianna Morel Enthusiast

Hello fella hunters hope this year is a good one and each and everyone of you good luck and happy hunting.

Coaster Dad and (deleted member) like this.
  11. mollymac

mollymac Morel Enthusiast

Earliest black ever for me in my spot. It was just the one but the hunt is on in Calloway county!

Attached Files:

12. Dfiggy28

I hear you. I'm by Augusta and Maysville. I'll keep y'all posted. Good luck.

Coaster Dad and (deleted member) like this.
  13. Dfiggy28

These little guys are all I found today

Attached Files:

14. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Morel Enthusiast

Have helped burn a plant bed back before they gassed them. Helped plant and gas them, pulled plants later then set and walked behind plugging the misses.. Hoed, topped and oiled(Had a 8 inch spot of skin get "burnt" by the oil when we would put a gallon jug on our belt and use a funnel to fill joy bottles to oil with..... Killed a few of the tobacco worms.... Cut, spiked, dropped sticks, loaded it on side loaders, regular scaffold wagons and a flat bed, picked up leaves... Handed it up into the barn and worked on various tiers... Shoveled sawdust and slabs to build a fire.... Took it down, carried into the stripping shed and piled it in front of the classers then moved it to the strippers and hauled the stalks out while boxing leaf, 2nds, lugs and green.... Loaded it on wagons... Later in February, I worked at one of the floors one year...

Came back from 6 weeks of ROTC advanced camp and 3 weeks of Airborne School to find out I had been turned down for student loans that year for "making too much money".... (Made $525 for 9 weeks in 1987)Cut tobacco at $6 an hour for 2 weeks or so to get enough money to pay for 1/3rd of tuition on the deferred payments schedule.... Do I qualify?

1 person likes this.
  15. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Morel Enthusiast

I was out near Ky Lake looking at property that I'm listing... I looked around a bit and my ten year streak of "No Morels" continues..

1 person likes this.
  16. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

damm..you the only other one i every heard mention the joy bottle oil'n...
    we'll work ya...your in..

FOWLER267 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. hillbillygoat

hillbillygoat Morel Enthusiast

young poplars or mature poplars for blacks?

2 people like this.
  18. Taylor Clayton

Taylor Clayton Morel Enthusiast

Matures is what I am finding them under. Also right around the trunks of cut off sassafrass. State came in and trimmed roadside brush a couple years ago and every sassafrass stump has a black beside it. Never seen that before.

3 people like this.
  19. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Very interesting about your finds around the sassafras. All of my black finds are in mature poplar woods also.

1 person likes this.
  20. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

I picked all of the morels I found today. 12 total including the 6 I found earlier this week and let them grow a little. I decided to go ahead and pick them since I may not be able to get back to those patches for a few days. 3 or 4 of these were barely poking out from under the leaves. Almost all of the 12 would not have been found if I had just been walking through the woods. I literally walked up to specific patches that I’ve picked for years, kneeled close to the ground and just panned in all directions. It’s still to early to find many due to the small size.
    F2836236-3CEF-49E2-A9D0-45E22B51D62C.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020