2020-Kentucky-Spring

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by morelseeeker, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Taylor Clayton

Taylor Clayton Morel Enthusiast

I have looked in other places I have found them before and I haven’t had any luck. The only reason I am finding these, is because they are in the same spot every year. I walk in the ditch, and scan the 6ft of leaf litter between it and the blacktop. All in a 30 ft stretch between two large poplars.

2 people like this.
  2. Taylor Clayton

BB965559-C65C-47E3-BCE0-06EF3E4E41D5.jpeg P
    picked 15 so far left 8 or so to grow.

Kelly, Phidippus, Brandon.g and 6 others like this.

3. hillbillygoat

hillbillygoat Morel Enthusiast

@Taylor Clayton
    What part of Ky are you in if u don’t mind me askin?

4. Taylor Clayton

5. hillbillygoat

hillbillygoat Morel Enthusiast

Y’all usually find them this early up that way?

6. Taylor Clayton

First one last year was March 17th.I found one on March 1st in 17. I’d say this is about an average year, found my last blacks last year on April 9th. Only found two yellows all year last year.

7. maxtoolin

maxtoolin Morel Enthusiast

?

8. Buckbuster6213

Buckbuster6213 Morel Enthusiast

I went out this afternoon in Logan county and found 3 in one of my patches but I left them. This is the earliest I have ever found any. Typically I find the most around April 10th here. 20200313_153722.jpg

9. Taylor Clayton

7 more today, along with 11 more I didn’t pick. Must have popped over night. 6BD9ED0A-F529-40D3-9826-3CAE339EA9CA.jpeg

10. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

That was a good 60 degree rain last night. The soil temps at 2 inches only dropped @ 3 degrees overnight. Perfect to make them pop. I believe you’re right about them just popping. Look how light they are colored.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    2 people like this.
  11. Dfiggy28

Dfiggy28 Morel Enthusiast

Still nothing. Only thing new that I've seen.

Attached Files:

Brandon.g likes this.
  12. mollymac

mollymac Morel Enthusiast

Don’t give up! Last year I found them through late April in Calloway county.

FOWLER267 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

1337312D-4E21-478E-A0A1-489368C5474F.jpeg
    Yes, don’t give up. I have found many of my patches over the past 20+ years by finding the blacks when they are much larger and either fully mature or past their prime. I have usually come across these patches in late April or early May and just made a mental note and checked those spots earlier in the years following. They’re tough to see right now because they are still very small. I picked these 3 this morning in Jefferson before the rains came.

14. Newbieshroomie

Newbieshroomie Young Morel

FOWLER267 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Newbieshroomie

Newbieshroomie Young Morel

City kid, but worked the warehouse auctions. Remember all the warehouses and commotion during buying season and the jobs it provided for me and friends. Also remember the buy, buy to the farms. It's weird to drive the roads that used to be tobacco and corn and that turned to soy and???(green peppers)
    . So hello to you all, I'm new to using these kind of forums, so forgive any mishaps I commit. Looking forward to starting my morel hunt. Here's to good eats and good hunting. And thank you for patience, advice, and good luck.

16. Swayback

Swayback Morel Enthusiast

I got the call this weekend that they are finding blacks in Rockcastle.
    I’m gearing up now to go pound ground and see what I see, I don’t expect much, but I’ve never hunted anywhere near this area so I’m absolutely clueless!

I asked what trees to look for, I was told to look for poplar, especially if there’s roses near... never heard of a link with roses... im dubious, I’m gunna look tho, seems like lots of local info is garbage... but I’ve learned to not dismiss it, it’s worth considering even if it seems unlikely to be true... funny how much lore and how many wives tales are attached to morels.

I’m really looking forward to finally having some decent ground to pound, I might actually find a few.

I’ve only ever found late seasons grays, all in poplar, never seen any other morel in this area, so I’m really flying blind, but I’ve had to teach myself so I’m used to flying blind... this new ground looks great compared to my area...
    However, I am just about clueless as I’ve never hunted outside my area, I’m sure I’ll figure it out, but if anyone has advice for the Stanford/crab orchard/Danville area that would be lovely!
    I’ll take any advice I can get!

I’ll keep folks posted!
    Good luck!

17. Chad Herig

Chad Herig Morel Enthusiast

Well I'm gonna give it a try again this year... Haven't found a single Morel in the 3 years I have searched for them. I live in Barren Co. I have looked in Mammoth Cave National park. I have also looked around Barren River Lake and a friend's farm and so far have struck out every year. Hoping to find some more land to hunt or someone willing to share there secret spot with me and hoping to finally get my first morels this year.

18. gutterman

gutterman Morel Connoisseur

Secret spots are hard to come by....My best advice to find morels is go to woods. Find elm,cherry,sycamore,tulip,ash,apple, trees and others that are in fresh dying mode or if it’s a lot of those trees alive even in area scout it. Hunt those trees until they are completely dead and what I call shaking bark. It’s on but falling off of the trees. Also look in briar thickets and scrub brush trees if there of those varieties of trees. Sometimes the younger trees in grassy open areas can produce well depending on year. Most important of all SLOW down when hunting morels. When I hunt I literally where’s Waldo the ground walking thru. Walk to target trees area slowly and literally scan every inch of the ground. Really have to slow your eyes down..hope the info helps. I know the area of Louisville north all the way thru Bedford and Carrollton along the River is good hunting. Also across the River in Madison Indiana have hunted as well and done good. I lived in Bedford/Lagrange area 20 years ago. Not sure how far that is from you but good luck

19. Tiffany Joy

Tiffany Joy Young Morel

Hello mushroom friends! I am new at foraging for Morels and thought I'd introduce myself and say I have been enjoying all the posts everyone has shared so far! I'm still fairly new to West Kentucky (about 1.5 years since we relocated here). We actually live on my husband's family property we have partially inherited, and we have roughly 100 acres of mature (hardwood) wooded area. I am looking forward to getting out into the woods and seeing what I can find. I know we have a massive amount of various mushrooms that grow throughout the year, and have enjoyed a very large harvest of chicken of the woods since we have been here... so I'm fairly confident we will find some morels too.

Question though, I know this rain we've had should help with morel growth, but with the weather dipping down over the last couple of days with this cold front that's come through, will that affect the growth of the morels, causing it to slow until it warms back up... or does it not matter? TIA for all the info y'all share!

Newbieshroomie likes this.