2020-Kentucky-Spring

Discussion in 'Kentucky' started by morelseeeker, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Anthony dawdy

Anthony dawdy Young Morel

Been out several times and still no luck in any spots i know in lbl.

2 people like this.
  2. Goomba shroom!

Goomba shroom! Morel Enthusiast

3. Brandon.g

Brandon.g Morel Connoisseur

Well, I found three, and a stinky stink horn! Maybe with temps in the 80's coming up I'll find more!

Dang, It wont let me post the pics!

1 person likes this.
  4. bexinthewoods

bexinthewoods Morel Enthusiast

The pored mushrooms are called Lentinus brumalis - they aren't Hexgonal Pored Polypores, as those have orange caps and no stems.

Goomba shroom! likes this.
  5. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

Picked another 31 today. 19 in Jefferson and a dozen in Hart. All very fresh except for 1. Found several that had popped since Monday. A good
    Rain after the 3 warm days should really make it good hunting for everyone. 4 of the 5 that I left to grow last Sunday grew very little. Left them again to grow

6. bexinthewoods

Hello fellow fungi fans - I'm new to this forum. PNW person, here in KY until the apocalypse ends. I hunt/research all fungi, but I have recently re-developed an obsession for your Eastern morels (I have hunted out west most of my life, and hunted here with family as a kid). I have one private spot that fits all the habitat criteria, but after searching 3 times/week on average, I've come home empty handed each time (other than some jellies and inkies). I have also frequented a few parks, but those are hit or miss with everyone having free time to hunt. Today's search was extra desperate and extra depressing - I can find TINY field caps the size of a pin, but not the morels?! Anyone having any luck? Folks in my mushroom Facebook group have been finding tons in SoKY (happy for them but it really just fuels my obsession more).

7. bexinthewoods

Same here - I keep getting discouraged because of the seemingly perfect conditions, lack of ANY fungi in spots, and the massive hauls that other people seem to be having in SoKY.

1 person likes this.
  8. Goomba shroom!

Goomba shroom! Morel Enthusiast

Hexi pored mushroom*
    I believe you are correct!

bexinthewoods likes this.
  9. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

is the land between the lakes a pocket of ground that comes in later than most every thing around it ??

10. wade

@bexinthewoods
    you will find yourself surrounded by Morels Soon enough KEEP HUNTING

11. Mike's Custom Coatings

Mike's Custom Coatings Morel Enthusiast

Are you finding blacks???? Bc ive been searching my hot spots that produce every year in southern Jefferson county line and no signs of anything not even may apples poking up yet. Ive never found any blacks ever so thats y i ask.

12. Brittany Fogle

Brittany Fogle Young Morel

So I am new to the morel hunting! I scoured a little nothing serious last year, this year I’ve been 2 times really looking hard not even sure if I have any on my farm or if I am even really looking in the right areas to be honest any tips or pointers??

13. bexinthewoods

So encouraging, thank you Wade! Morels have taken over my dreams, literally!

2 people like this.
  14. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Morel Enthusiast

So, whats the verdict on edibility?

15. FOWLER267

FOWLER267 Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the ID!! Are they edible? Poisonous? Medicinal?

bexinthewoods likes this.
  16. bexinthewoods

Sources say it's too tough to eat, and no known medicinal properties. Urnula craterium has been noted to be "not horrible" but really another toughie with no known medicinal properties. Neither are lethal/severely poisonous, but rather quotes as being mediocre/hard to swallow. We should be having some wonderful edibles popping up soon, like oysters/dryads saddle/half free morels/etc.

2 people like this.
  17. jacob buckman

jacob buckman Young Morel

011157C6-7577-4426-82AB-99C61A88E861.jpeg 28ECD9B5-DE1B-4C3B-B2B4-D7C13973C5B8.jpeg Found 27 today it’s gonna be a great year
    Left the white to grow

Attached Files:

18. wade

Tool fan likes this.
  19. rick

rick Morel Connoisseur

All blacks so far but I expect the greys and yellows to start showing up when we get a rain following these 3 warm days.

20. maxtoolin

maxtoolin Morel Enthusiast

Their up in Carlisle county KY. found a few big blacks Wich is a first a small yellow & a small grey

Tool fan and bexinthewoods like this.