Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

2020-Kentucky-Spring

83K views 462 replies 70 participants last post by  Coaster Dad 
#1 ·
Let's start with this Kentucky thread for the great year opening up to us all!

#12 ·
yep..Tobaca..was a Huge part of my life as a younger Man.. from my teen years up t bout 33 years old..
Raised 30 acre every year..
i know how to Handle it..all the way to Top Dollar on the Floor Every Time.
it was a big choice to let it all go..
when ya know so much about it and Love it and Lived it..side by side with family and friends.. it was hard work and Good work.. an Amazing Enjoyable Life

#39 ·
Tobaca Poisoning.. yep @Dfiggy28 and Everyone...
We'd just finished up cuttin
when we pulled up to the barn with tractors pulling Racks.. and Opened them Doors, the gases in the barn took our breath away and we could feel it burning our faces.
we Quickly climbed up and began Hanging way up 15 teers hi in top and middle of this Big barn like 50 x 100 big
Surrounded on all side by Burley Tobaca that had already been Hanging and Cure'n for over a week..and they had it all jammed in and hung to tight.."crowded"
so..there weren't no air a'tall up in there..
just Gases from that Burley that had been hanging cure,n.. my buddy "David" holler'd down to um on the ground ..
"There's No Air up in Here !!"
now Myself and David where only 20 years old...
and the 40 yr old Men on the Ground, had seen this before, a very dangerous situation, and they Knew Exactly and immediately what to do..
They Shouted back at us..
" Keep throw'n / hang'n it in fast as you can .. Keep goin Go Go Hang it ! throw it !
Tobaca .. Tobaca
.. Tobaca... Hurry up ... Get it in there
and they continued to Hand it and Shove it up to us as fast as they could.. and faster than we could take it...
We only had three loads to get off the Racks and hung up in there..
Everyone were all Neighbors and Friends back then Summer 1981..
but those Men on the Ground were My best friends... they were Born Farmers.
and not the type that sit their Asses on a tractor and had it all handed to them..
they had Nothing handed to them but more Work....and its all they knew every day till they died..
They knew what what was happening to us up in there..
they knew it weren't good, but that we could live through it, but only if we kept our bodies moving, Otherwise we would be overcome by the gasses.. and probably pass out and Fall out of the barn and the fall would probably kill someone..
Our eyes were burning..it was pitch black we couldn't see only feel and just reach down grab it and throw it up and Feel / slam it in hanging, same as we had hung millions of heavy sticks of Tobaca under Normal conditions.. We had now become able to do it blind in the dark..and i could feel my lungs hot Hot Burning and irritated inside breathing nothing but gas gasping..
we finished in about 35 minutes and climbed down and sat outside of that barn...Everyone was looking at us..
i wouldn't admit it but i felt like shit weird shakes sick pain Hurting pain through my whole body and my brain and my stomach really hurt...
Tommy's Wife Sue..had prepared a Wonderful Spaghetti dinner for us all, we
went inside and Enjoyed it Together .
Except for David, he said he didn't feel good enough to eat anything..
after dinner i was...
still feeling very sick and Hurting
I drove my 1975 Chevrolet long bed step side Home as the moon was rising..
i stepped out of my truck and threw up all that delicious Spaghetti on my lawn..
im talking lost it all big deep breathing in and Huge thrust of everything from deep inside of me blown out my Mouth, i was even blown spaghetti out of my sinus and nose.. breathing deep in again and blowing and Throwing it all and Everything out again...i made it into my kitchen, drank a glass of water.. and...
i got on my kitchen wall phone and called over to Tommy's, told um what had just happened..
and that now i felt completely fine, as if i had never even been sick..
ever since i figured the Spaghetti the Pasta....Must have absorbed all of that poison out of my blood and saved me..
But not David .. he was sick for a week afterwards
Hey im sorry this was so long Yall.
but Thank You this was so enjoyable remembering and telling about this.
I've always thought of it but never got to share it until now...
Thank You

#17 ·
Yes @Pongo805 and Everyone
the Reality of Real People Respect and Ethics, Real Friends that would work as hard and fast as possible, Right beside you thru Early morning dew till stoppn for lunch, prepared by a wife that was also working all morning but stopped at 10:00am to have a table full by Noon, of all Homemade Beans, cornbread, rip tomato ketchup. Green beans, cabbage, porkchops, mountain oysters, Roast potato & carrots ..
Giant glasses of Sweet tea.
fresh outa the oven...
Coconut cream pie 5" tall
and thats the short list there was more and more Every day Every day..
Then Everyone Right back at till the sun would drop..or work on into the night a bit
Never letting up never slowing down.
Always leaning forward faster faster
handling and calling every plant or leaf and every move you made perfectly handled
Usually sleep pretty good after that ..
then back up at 6:00am to do it again
damm right it was hard and good.
but still the best life, it was Great
Seldom do you meet anyone now a dayz
that has any real understanding of what really Honest hard work is..
Thank You to Everyone for talking about Tobaca with me..
Thank You

#38 ·
I take it you do know what tobacco spuds are. My Grandfather raised tobacco and gave me a couple of them. I watched collecters pay top dollar for those spuds at my Grandfather's estate auction. I never thought they were worth much. As for the mountain oysters I'll pass but I'll eat all of the coconut cream pie you shove in front of me. Did you ever try tobacco worms for fishing bait?

#28 ·
I have an early spot in Jefferson very similar to what you’re describing that I will check on tomorrow. I didn’t want to check it today due to too many people using this area on such a beautiful day. I saw your post on another site and you probably saw that another fella found some in Allen county today. They’ll be popping in most of the state after the rain and temps between now and next weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.