Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Refresh my memory . . . was MD20-20 related to latitude?

We're about the same latitude over here in Buckeye Nation . . .
and I remember MD 2020 from . . . well . . . back then . . . so, maybe it's an era item and a latitude item?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Refresh my memory . . . was MD20-20 related to latitude?

We're about the same latitude over here in Buckeye Nation . . .
and I remember MD 2020 from . . . well . . . back then . . . so, maybe it's an era item and a latitude item?
Yes it has everything to do with latitude (or is it attitude) but nothing to do with Mason Dixon.. As far as the era thing I was wondering that myself (do they still make that crap).. I may just need to see if I can find it at my local libation store. So I googled it and yep it’s still around but just looking at a photo of the bottle gave me a headache...... Cured that itch....

·
Registered
287 Posts
what about that "Wild Irish Rose"
I know there’s a long list here ... Thunderbird,Boone’s farm, Richard’s WIR, and more that I can’t think of cause of lost brain cells ... I’m trying to remember what one was the cheapest.... Back in the day it was coins we were counting not bills and it always tasted better in a brown paper bag....

·
Super Moderator
1,907 Posts
I know there’s a long list here ... Thunderbird,Boone’s farm, Richard’s WIR, and more that I can’t think of cause of lost brain cells ... I’m trying to remember what one was the cheapest.... Back in the day it was coins we were counting not bills and it always tasted better in a brown paper bag....
i started drinking Jim Beam when i was 11 ...Man if i close my eyes think back
i can bout be there again.. growing up in Bloomington Indiana

·
Registered
7 Posts
i started drinking Jim Beam when i was 11 ...Man if i close my eyes think back
i can bout be there again.. growing up in Bloomington Indiana
Hello All.... I'm coming to you from another latitude and probably about the same attitude. I live in Myrtle Beach, a place that doesn't grow morels. Gonna make a trial run to our up-state to find some spots to hunt. The reason that I'm coming out of the woodwork is to let you know that I'm anxiously waiting for some good reports coming in. I'd like to plan a week long trip to visit family in my hometown, Brunswick. I've already planned where to hunt and just need to figure the when. Glad that ya'll are here!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Weathers really warming up next week! Excited. Hope to have good luck like last year, which was my first hunt. Might check where I found them in Frederick County, but also hoping to search Baltimore county when I'm not in school.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello All.... I'm coming to you from another latitude and probably about the same attitude. I live in Myrtle Beach, a place that doesn't grow morels. Gonna make a trial run to our up-state to find some spots to hunt. The reason that I'm coming out of the woodwork is to let you know that I'm anxiously waiting for some good reports coming in. I'd like to plan a week long trip to visit family in my hometown, Brunswick. I've already planned where to hunt and just need to figure the when. Glad that ya'll are here!
The weather has been warmer then normal and the season maybe early. I’m sure we have some Frederick co. hunters on here so keep an eye out. Also an early welcome home to you..

·
Registered
287 Posts
Weathers really warming up next week! Excited. Hope to have good luck like last year, which was my first hunt. Might check where I found them in Frederick County, but also hoping to search Baltimore county when I'm not in school.
You better go back to where you found them before.... I’m sure too that you are looking for new spots in your travels back and forth .. best of luck...

·
Registered
287 Posts
What’s up folks! Thinking we might see a few come the weekend in some warmer spots, any chatter out there??
I took a walk today it was nice out . I went to one of my early spots I figured I get some ground temps .. The high was 50 the low was 45 the average was 48 that was 4" down... Looking around I did not see one mayapple or fiddle head up. Most of the skunk cabbage was just poking threw and very little leafed out. The only ting of color in the trees was a little red from the tops of a few maples I saw. This could be an interesting year..
who knows 008.JPG
who knows 009.JPG

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took a walk today it was nice out . I went to one of my early spots I figured I get some ground temps .. The high was 50 the low was 45 the average was 48 that was 4" down... Looking around I did not see one mayapple or fiddle head up. Most of the skunk cabbage was just poking threw and very little leafed out. The only ting of color in the trees was a little red from the tops of a few maples I saw. This could be an interesting year.. View attachment 25424 View attachment 25422
I took a walk yesterday evening myself in my early spot. Few signs forsythia were blooming trees are just starting to bud. Few other plants growing looked like anytime now. Definitely a different year. I have found black ones in colder temps with less sign. But every year is different. Just have to keep checking. Thanks for the update on the ground temp redfred. I’m old school just use my hands lol.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I took a walk today it was nice out . I went to one of my early spots I figured I get some ground temps .. The high was 50 the low was 45 the average was 48 that was 4" down... Looking around I did not see one mayapple or fiddle head up. Most of the skunk cabbage was just poking threw and very little leafed out. The only ting of color in the trees was a little red from the tops of a few maples I saw. This could be an interesting year.. View attachment 25424 View attachment 25422
Like the pictures of the daffodils. Nothing even close to that up here yet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I took a walk yesterday as well and checked ground temps in some different areas — they just about mirrored yours Fred. Highest reading was a hair under 51 with 48-49 being the average. I did see some forsythia just starting and a redbud that looked about one good warm, sunny day out from popping. It’s been fairly wet over the past few months I know but with zero snow this winter, I’m hoping it was good enough to tickle those threads. I’m thinking another two weeks maybe less if we get some sustained warmth. How about in past years with zero snow, did it noticeably affect hauls, timing of the first ones?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 290 Posts