Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

281 - 290 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wondered if there were still some out here in MoCo. Guess I am not checking the right spots. Most I've found this year have been on the VA side of the river.

Went out yesterday in MoCo hoping maybe to find a few last ones. This was a new spot I had not walked before but figured there was some there as lots of poplars and sycamores. Thought it was over with as only found 2 if a couple hours. On the way out I spotted one from the truck. Ended up finding a bunch of really big ones there. By far my best ones most were on their last leg and lots of rotten ones. They were on a hill top along a bench that was wet. Wish I would have found these last week.
Anybody recommend a good mesh bag to use that’s packable ? Now that I’m getting into it and finding some I shouldn’t use a plastic bag probably anymore lol.

Wanted to thank everybody for the help Iv learned a lot my first year and you all deff shortened the learning curve.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can get a mesh laundry bag 16" x 18" from Walmart for less then 2$ ... I carry 3 bags with me rolled up in my pocket. To me that's plenty big if you fill one too full they start to crush the morels.. Baskets are nice and probable better for the morels but that's one hand not free... I had to used 3 bags twice this year that's a lot of fun.... Best of luck....
thanks ordered a couple off amazon

·
Registered
290 Posts
A quick walk this afternoon and mostly sad sights..I was trying in an area that had a lot of shade and did see 3 that were pretty fresh most were well past time....If you are more north or west you may still find some but as much as I hate to say this it may be time for me to start thinking summer mushrooms... This may be a morel board but some on here hunt others so guys and gals stick around,,Nothing like a day in the woods..........
5 13 20 003.JPG
5 13 20 004.JPG
5 13 20 006.JPG

·
Registered
13 Posts
A quick walk this afternoon and mostly sad sights..I was trying in an area that had a lot of shade and did see 3 that were pretty fresh most were well past time....If you are more north or west you may still find some but as much as I hate to say this it may be time for me to start thinking summer mushrooms... This may be a morel board but some on here hunt others so guys and gals stick around,,Nothing like a day in the woods.......... View attachment 33786 View attachment 33788 View attachment 33790
at least you found a few
I need to broaden my shroom hunting. I’d like to pick some chicken of the woods this year to try. I hear great things

·
Registered
290 Posts
at least you found a few
I need to broaden my shroom hunting. I’d like to pick some chicken of the woods this year to try. I hear great things
They taste like chicken!!!! Well not really but the texture will make you think chicken ..I’m sure it’s late to say this but I keep my eye out for good chicken spots while morel hunting... To find chickens look for Oak trees...Dead Oak for the most part standing or laying down and sometimes on some that look heathy.. You can sometimes see last years chickens on a old log that may comeback this year. The good news about summer mushrooms is they are much easier to spot then morels. Well mostly.... A little research and you will be ready... good luck...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #287
A quick walk this afternoon and mostly sad sights..I was trying in an area that had a lot of shade and did see 3 that were pretty fresh most were well past time....If you are more north or west you may still find some but as much as I hate to say this it may be time for me to start thinking summer mushrooms... This may be a morel board but some on here hunt others so guys and gals stick around,,Nothing like a day in the woods.......... View attachment 33786 View attachment 33788 View attachment 33790
Went for a short walk this afternoon on my way home from work. Found 2 fresh ones. Looks to be about done in my spots. Was a great season for me no complaints here. Good luck to all still on the hunt!

·
Registered
1 Posts
They are still out there... The same thing as Saturday I got to an open area out of tree influence and they were all under the bushes and bramble. The ones in the sun were a little beat up but most were good.. I did not really count but it had to be more then 100 in there. The 2 photos may give you and idea what it looked like. View attachment 32862 View attachment 32864 View attachment 32866
They are still out there... The same thing as Saturday I got to an open area out of tree influence and they were all under the bushes and bramble. The ones in the sun were a little beat up but most were good.. I did not really count but it had to be more then 100 in there. The 2 photos may give you and idea what it looked like. View attachment 32862 View attachment 32864 View attachment 32866
I haven't had a chance since Friday to get in the woods. I did find a few most had been up awhile but some looked real fresh. I hope to get out for one more look.. View attachment 33614 View attachment 33616 View attachment 33618

Hi I am new to forum(today) haha. This is my first year morel hunting and I have found a handful of small and 3-4 huge suckers!

it is late season, and I spent 7 hours hiked 6-7 miles and couldn’t find anything yesterday. I was in south facing gullies like I was early season, 300-750’ altitude. And I am concentrating on dense poplar groves.

where SHOULD I be looking for them right now if I wanted a chance to find another batch before I move on to fishing? :)

some of the hardest hiking and longest distances I’ve ever done is trying to find these suckers. Always so random!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Hi I am new to forum(today) haha. This is my first year morel hunting and I have found a handful of small and 3-4 huge suckers!

it is late season, and I spent 7 hours hiked 6-7 miles and couldn’t find anything yesterday. I was in south facing gullies like I was early season, 300-750’ altitude. And I am concentrating on dense poplar groves.

where SHOULD I be looking for them right now if I wanted a chance to find another batch before I move on to fishing? :)

some of the hardest hiking and longest distances I’ve ever done is trying to find these suckers. Always so random!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!
It hurts me to tell you this but it maybe time for the fishing rod.. The coolest place you could look in Maryland right now has probably already come and gone.. You would need to head north like New York State to find some now but you can at anytime of year look for spots for next year... good luck....

281 - 290 of 290 Posts