2020 MD MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Kbshroom, Feb 27, 2020.

1. LindsMini

LindsMini Young Morel

I wondered if there were still some out here in MoCo. Guess I am not checking the right spots. Most I've found this year have been on the VA side of the river.

1 person likes this.
  2. Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32 Morel Enthusiast

This was in the NE part of the county. Last year I found some in va while turkey hunting but no luck there this year.

1 person likes this.

3. Hesseltine32

thanks ordered a couple off amazon

1 person likes this.
  4. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

A quick walk this afternoon and mostly sad sights..I was trying in an area that had a lot of shade and did see 3 that were pretty fresh most were well past time....If you are more north or west you may still find some but as much as I hate to say this it may be time for me to start thinking summer mushrooms... This may be a morel board but some on here hunt others so guys and gals stick around,,Nothing like a day in the woods.......... 5 13 20 003.JPG 5 13 20 004.JPG 5 13 20 006.JPG

Kbshroom likes this.
  5. Hesseltine32

at least you found a few
    I need to broaden my shroom hunting. I’d like to pick some chicken of the woods this year to try. I hear great things

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  6. redfred

They taste like chicken!!!! Well not really but the texture will make you think chicken ..I’m sure it’s late to say this but I keep my eye out for good chicken spots while morel hunting... To find chickens look for Oak trees...Dead Oak for the most part standing or laying down and sometimes on some that look heathy.. You can sometimes see last years chickens on a old log that may comeback this year. The good news about summer mushrooms is they are much easier to spot then morels. Well mostly.... A little research and you will be ready... good luck...

Kbshroom likes this.
  7. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Went for a short walk this afternoon on my way home from work. Found 2 fresh ones. Looks to be about done in my spots. Was a great season for me no complaints here. Good luck to all still on the hunt!

1 person likes this.
  8. LindsMini

LindsMini Young Morel

SO good. bread them and pan fry like chicken fingers

1 person likes this.
  9. Jason beaucage

Jason beaucage Young Morel

Hi I am new to forum(today) haha. This is my first year morel hunting and I have found a handful of small and 3-4 huge suckers!

it is late season, and I spent 7 hours hiked 6-7 miles and couldn’t find anything yesterday. I was in south facing gullies like I was early season, 300-750’ altitude. And I am concentrating on dense poplar groves.

where SHOULD I be looking for them right now if I wanted a chance to find another batch before I move on to fishing? :)

some of the hardest hiking and longest distances I’ve ever done is trying to find these suckers. Always so random!! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

1 person likes this.
  10. redfred

It hurts me to tell you this but it maybe time for the fishing rod.. The coolest place you could look in Maryland right now has probably already come and gone.. You would need to head north like New York State to find some now but you can at anytime of year look for spots for next year... good luck....