2020 MD MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Kbshroom, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Oh also, that 3-in-1 meter you have is pretty slick! I bought an inexpensive pH meter last year that I left stuck in the ground somewhere in Carroll Co. How do you like that particular one, you recommend it? Have you ever double checked readings with pH strips?

2 people like this.
  2. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I have not checked it against a pH strip. If you follow the instructions that came with the meter you need to dig up a small area and saturate it with distilled water to get an accurate reading.. This is true to get any kind of reading for pH or Fertility.From today after checking temp. I'd switch the button to check pH or fertility and no reading .. From check in the back yard it does work or at least move in the way you think it would.. I was checking it against a few thermometers today to get an idea of it's accuracy for temp .. within 1 degree I think.. Would I recommend it... no.. Like so many things when we we try to do to much we do nothing well. PS .. since I'm in Carroll Co. if I come across your meter I will let you know what the last reading is.... your welcome..

1 person likes this.

3. Fowlkiller

Lol, thanks Fred. I’d sure appreciate that!

1 person likes this.
  4. redfred

I should have told you this before. I got the meter last year and usually stick it in the ground and give it a couple of minutes to acclimate. I guess I wandered to far or lost track of time but it took me 20 min. to find it.. How was yours working before you misplaced it?

1 person likes this.
  5. Jed Hesher

Jed Hesher Morel Enthusiast

I have been hiking a lot this past week in Carroll and Baltimore counties mainly for exercise but still looks early. I moved to MD from St Louis and I am still trying to find some hot spots. I will try and post as much info as I can when they do start popping. Good luck all.

1 person likes this.
  6. redfred

I was looking at the members forum and noticed that today is someone’s birthday....HAPPY BIRTHDAY KB...

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  7. TimG

TimG Morel Enthusiast

Some people have morel fever pretty bad. Way to early but it never hurts to look at habitat. It's almost always mid April until morels appear in any quantity.
    Gerbilrancher- there are many areas with huge Tulip Poplars around Loch Raven reservoir in Balt. county.
    The amount of snow makes no difference. I've seen very snowy winters have poor spring yields due to no spring rains and record drought years have good following spring yields due to frequent spring rains. What counts is the amount of moisture in the month and last few weeks prior to normal fruitng time.
    Ground temps are not a good indicator as they can change 3-4 or more degrees in a few hours depending on the item of the day, depth, hours of sunshine and other factors. I spent many years doing this before I found out it didn't help my finds. The mycelium is likely well below where oyur temp robe is and you'd have it take deep probes over a wide area to get anywhere near a good average. A south facing slope would have a different avg. temp. than a west facing slope, etc.

1 person likes this.
  8. Elaniobro

Elaniobro Young Morel

Is skunk cabbage a good indicator of when morels being to pop up and or where they may grow?

1 person likes this.
  9. redfred

In my area skunk cabbage is up and open before morels are around. Cabbage is a good sign of moisture though and I have found morels around it. Mostly on the edges but in dry years I may look more in the middle. Fiddle heads up and mayapples blooming might be a better indicator of timing. When I see the showy orchid blooming it's prime yellow time.... Pictures 292.JPG Pictures 335.JPG Pictures 302.JPG

2 people like this.
  10. redfred

If I had a choice I would much rather have the worst case of morel fever then the mildest case of corona-virus............ I'm not sure which one is more contagious ....

2 people like this.
  11. Fowlkiller

@redfred, it was a 10-12$ Soil/pH combo from the Home Depot in Westminster as I had left mine on the kitchen counter. The temp reading looked spot on for the half dozen or so times I used it, but much to my chagrin the pH function did not exactly have its time to shine.

1 person likes this.
  12. Fowlkiller

@TimG — Thanks for the input. In regards to the snow cover component, I did not mean to imply that snow was The governing factor for a decent morel yield, just asking if anyone could recall having a decent to banner year, preceded by a winter without a stitch of snow. And to your point, a mild winter followed by a wet spring can most certainly make for an awesome harvest, though it cannot be denied that a slow, constant trickle of moisture seeping into the ground by a melting snow pack, can turn what would otherwise be a mediocre haul into a stellar, pickup bed filling season. I know for a fact the states to the north of us benefit from exactly that and have been told the volume of their haul is linked directly to the ebb and flow of each year’s snow totals. I’d certainly rather see a dozen and a half mild spring storms across the state than a ferocious winter followed by a dry spring — so long as the rain is actually absorbed and it all doesn’t just end up in the creek at the bottom of the hill due to run off. Look at me, there I go ramblin again...

Don’t forget those eastern-facing slopes either, they too can shine bright in the morning dew. Here’s a link to what I’ve found to be the best online resource for up to date soil temperatures. Not for sure what elevation is to be assumed here, but since it’s coming from the Corn Growers Assoc., I’d think around sea-level or just above. Haven’t done much poking around on the site yet, let me know what you guys think.

Keep up that chatter y’all. I’ll post it here know when I dig my first ramp or see those fiddles-a-furlin’!! Be safe out there and remember, you can’t find em on the couch! Stay vigilant.

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  13. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Haven’t been on recently. Thanks redfred! Hoping to get in the woods and see if I can’t hunt down a few early black mushrooms. Looked promising last time. Hoping for the best

1 person likes this.
  14. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

False morel found today

Kbshroom likes this.
  15. Kbshroom

Well today was a good one. First one of the year. A little guy prob would’ve left him till next time. Being that I don’t a pocket full of receipts due to the current situation I brought it home where I had a newspaper. Don’t want the Mushroom PD to arrest me for falsifying information lol. Hopefully it’s the beginning of a good season for all. D76FC465-E168-4453-BEA8-7EFD9BCC7F3E.jpeg 1AD5483A-7745-4BCB-B1F3-5033277B1A8F.jpeg 2B419DA5-5900-484E-BDF0-A74F911A1A55.jpeg

16. Kbshroom

Nice find Green Stone. Real ones aren’t far behind if you’re finding those. Atleast in my experiences. Good luck to ya!

1 person likes this.
  17. redfred

18. redfred

Jed, How long have you been in Md.? I would be curious as to how you find the woods different or the same from St. Louis and Md. If there is something I can help with feel free to ask..

19. Jed Hesher

Jed Hesher Morel Enthusiast

This will be my third morel season. Big difference is that Elm trees are the main target in Missouri and it seems that Poplar are the main target here. Also a lot more people hunt morels in MO.
    Dead or dying Elm trees would produce over healthy trees. Do you find the same with poplar trees?
    Any other trees that you will specifically target?

2 people like this.