2020 MD MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Kbshroom, Feb 27, 2020.

1. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

I’ll bet when you first moved here and asked about morels not many people even knew what you were talking about. That just means more for we that know. Elms are rare around here but for sure check them if you see them. Last year I was finding them around dead Ash more then ever before. I look mainly for Poplars, large and lots of them. As far as dead Poplars, unless the tree was struck by lightning or suffered great wind damage I don’t think they produce more then live trees. Even with the damage they don’t produce as well as a dead Elm might. Mix in with the Poplars may be other trees the only one that seems to stop morels is the Oak. I’ve not had great success around Sycamore but know others that have. I hope this helps and best of luck...... What kind of success have you had your first 2 years???

1 person likes this.
  2. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

Another false morel today... I think we just missed the early ones at our elevation, 1,000-1,200 ft. How far behind the false ones do you all think the blacks are and do you find both in the same areas? 9A2A69F9-CA1A-42D1-A908-CCEF14CE913A.jpeg

2 people like this.

3. trahn008

trahn008 Morel Connoisseur

I find false and blacks at the same times.

2 people like this.
  4. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Green Stone I personally find false and blacks in the same area. I also hunt around a 1000’ elevation. Seems to me when I find false ones it’s normally no more than a week till I find black ones. But as Trahn 008 said I do find some false once the black ones show up as well. Keep checking and you should have some luck soon. Gotta keep on keeping on.

1 person likes this.
  5. Kbshroom

Found one this evening didn’t get a chance to snap a pic. Had to leave quickly. A friend text me he found 7 as well in one of his spots. And someone he knows found 30 a few days ago. So looks like they are popping up now. Hope to get back and check the area better tomorrow when I have more time see if I can’t find some
    more.

2 people like this.
  6. Jaeta

Jaeta Young Morel

Extremely new to morel hunting. Is this what I think it is?

Thanks for the feedback! It's hollow from top to bottom. Very excited about my first find!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  7. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

Sure looks like a morel to me....It’s small and may be hard to see but if you cut it in half top to bottom it should be hollow inside... nice find..

Jaeta likes this.
  8. Kbshroom

x2

Jaeta and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Congrats on your first find, Jaeta! If you’re not in a heavily traveled area and come across anymore that size, let them grow up a bit and your patience will be duly rewarded. Greys are my favorite to eat.

Jaeta and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Kbshroom

Went for a walk this afternoon found 4 all in one area. Then didn’t find anything else and I looked for a few hrs. Wouldn’t mind seeing a few sunny days maybe it would help. Happy to get out and find a few. 29B5101D-2E06-4FF9-BF9B-658A940BE428.jpeg E40EA569-712A-41A2-AB8F-36426458E89E.jpeg 3D38E1A8-F59A-4984-A5B9-DCF3F45F542F.jpeg

11. Gapland Hunter

Gapland Hunter Morel Enthusiast

They look good always love to see the pictures. Like the pictures that are zoomed out some(it’s like playing where’s Waldo with morels). I may try and go find some today. Never have luck finding the black ones, always yellow and grays. Gonna try some higher ridges I guess and see if any luck there.

2 people like this.
  12. Fowlkiller

Nice finds KB, great to see it! Noticed those mayapples are good and up in that one shot, any idea your elevation?

2 people like this.
  13. Kbshroom

Fowlkiller I’m just above 900ft in that spot. Went out again today mayapples are up to about 6” or so in that area. With all the rain good day of sun they will prob really jump up.

14. Fowlkiller

Good deal man, thanks for sharing. Went to two spots today both around 520 and things were are just starting to show, still too chilly. Sunshine and 65 tomorrow, not bad for a Monday.

Kbshroom likes this.
  15. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

I was out today 1100’ creek bottom and different slopes facing all directions... nothing, just the same false morels holding up nicely. Still way behind, no may apple and skunk cabbage just staring to come up. Seeing the trout Lilly start to really fill in and the first couple blooms (the bulbs are really good right now). Lots of barberry really filling in.

16. Jed Hesher

Jed Hesher Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing your expertise. First year I found 10-20 and about 50 last year. Takes awhile to dial in spots but once you do they tend to produce in future years.

1 person likes this.
  17. Morel22342

Morel22342 Young Morel

Do morels only pop up in elevations 600ft+?

1 person likes this.
  18. Kbshroom

Morel22342 I find them lower than 600’. Think the lowest spots I have success hunting are 475’-500’. But idk if they grow below that or not don’t have any areas below that to look.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kbshroom

Came across enough to finally have the first pan of the year. Swear the first fresh ones of the year always taste the best to me. Good luck all hope this is a good season!
    223F212E-6410-4500-B9E0-90A0D57AB775.jpeg

4 people like this.
  20. maryvball5

maryvball5 Young Morel

Good evening morel hunters of Maryland! I hope everyone reading this is HEALTHY and happy as the season will be in full swing soon from what my dad tells me. I am kind of new to this, I have only followed my dad around looking for morels, he mainly hunts for them in Frederick county near myersville area and sometimes he finds them, most of the time he does not. I was in med school in georgia before we went to all virtual class, I was there for the very start of the season for morels and went out with an experienced hunter. in georgia, we found them near privet and in swampy areas near creeks. He didn't comment on trees other than to keep checking near privet so that's what I did and we found about 15 or 20 on our 2 hour outing. I would REALLY like to find some in maryland (my dad would be so proud!!!). I know the elm tree is the sacred tree to check for, but I feel as though where I've gone in Baltimore county, I don't see many. I read in the comments in previous posts that poplar and ash trees are popular for morels too. I am trying to use a tree identifier to figure out which are which. I feel like all the bark looks the same or similar and it is quite frustrating. I was wondering, in your endeavors, has someone taken a picture of the trees? I would love to look at a tree photo from an actual morel hunter than google images just so I can cross reference!! Thank you for any help guys!

2 people like this.