2020 MD MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Kbshroom, Feb 27, 2020.

1. mortisangelus

mortisangelus Young Morel

kbshroom whats them greens growing around your morels chickweed?

1 person likes this.
  2. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Mortisangelus yes that’s chickweed. Darn stuff grows everywhere this time of year lol

1 person likes this.

3. mortisangelus

mortisangelus Young Morel

haha thought it was almost started making salads from it trying to avoid the stores, morels look great good show

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Kbshroom

Never tried it may not be to bad. Hahaha. I been tryin to avoid grocery stores for years. It’s paying off in times like these. Plenty of food out there as long as you know what you’re looking at. Good luck hope you have a good season. Stay safe

2 people like this.
  5. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

As a general rule mushroom hunters hunt trees and find mushrooms. So tree ID is important. Tree bark can tell you a lot but there are other things. If we are looking on the ground what else do you see? If you are finding acorns and oak leaves you are most likely standing near oaks. If you are seeing Poplar leaves and old poplar blossoms you may be standing near poplar. If nothing else look for dead trees with the bark falling off. At least you know what a morel looks like that is a start... I wish you the best of luck and I’m sure your dad is proud of you,morels or not..

6. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Hey there Mary, here are a few shots of some elm trees. Big rule of thumb when looking around elms, you want to focus on the ones that are dead and dying, with the bursting, splitting bark. Now that’s not to say you could find some around a perfectly healthy elm tree but sad to say, with how rampant Dutch elm disease has become, the majority of elm trees have a very certain fate.

For tulip poplars, you’re looking for uniformity in the bark and right now their “tulip baskets” are starting to bud on the branches. Poplars are usually some of the straightest trees in the woods and depending how old of a forest you are in, some of the largest as well. Personally, I have not had much luck around poplars but have found a few. Keep studying your tree bark as well as the leaves that are associated with them — just like with many things, repetition and practice will help you in recognizing the key features in order to make an ID. Anyone whose got the bug will tell ya, they felt the same way you do with tree id when starting out, but walking through the woods now, its almost second nature. Hope this helps, if I find anymore pics I’ll post those as well. Good luck and stay safe!

Can’t find em on the couch!

MH

Attached Files:

7. Fowlkiller

Hey @Kbshroom, I’m sure you have said it in the past but which county are you in where you’re lowest spots are 5-600’? You out past Frederick?

8. Kbshroom

Fowlkiller yes I’m in Frederick County. Also hunt some in Washington County as well.

Fowlkiller and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Fowlkiller

Finally on the board for 2020. They were some wee little buggers, let em go so they can grow but it got the monkey off my back nonetheless!

South facing slope with mixed hardwoods - poplar, ash, elm.

Attached Files:

10. Kbshroom

Sweeeeet! Nice finds and pics Fowlkiller. Thanks for the info always useful. Hopefully the first of many.

Fowlkiller and (deleted member) like this.
  11. patapsco mike

patapsco mike Morel Enthusiast

Not at all. I have a spot in Baltimore County that is often loaded with yellow morels, and this spot is at an elevation of about 1'. It is underwater when the tide gets really high.

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.
  12. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Anyone going out today or this weekend

1 person likes this.
  13. bjc1131

bjc1131 Young Morel

I'm a noob and I'm very excited to give this a shot! Never tasted a morel before. I'm in harford county.

Planning on wandering around the woods for a good chunk of tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  14. Morel22342

Morel22342 Morel Enthusiast

Are morels mostly frederick county area or do they reach montgomery area?

1 person likes this.
  15. redfred

Was out for a walk today and nothing... A few may apples up but it still looks a little away... I was wondering if this sign would put a damper on anyone's morel hunting or do we need just a little more @wade camo...... 20 20 002.JPG

16. redfred

yep there in Montgomery...

Kbshroom likes this.
  17. Kbshroom

I would have to agree with Wade on that one but that’s just me. I wouldn’t want to get anyone in trouble lol.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kbshroom

Wade I hope to get out maybe Sunday if I can. Busy weekend hopefully be some time to sneak out for a walk. If not I believe end of next week should be good in my area. Will hit it hard then if I don’t get out Sunday

19. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Screenshot_20200403-160303_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Well Hhhmmm...
    i think for me and my interpretation
    @redfred You have just found one of the Best spots you could ever have hoped for to Hunt this Year..
    *Because that Flyer posted will surly keep many people away..
    *heres where i feel the go ahead for a Morel Forager
    *first off that Matthew W Garbark is Clearly mentioned to be Only a person Acting as if he is a Director .
    *Secondly Our Foraging is not recreation
    we are Harvesting Our Native food
    and it is our Constitutional right and inheritance to do so.
    * Next..We are foragers not Hiking or biking or any of the mentioned Banning types
    *and we are doing exactly as Requested at the bottom of the flyer. "that we please do Our part during this Emergency time"
    * and we are buy staying out of a public Grocery..instead getting into the woods in Stealth Camouflage and keeping Ourselves Hidden away from contact With other People, as we gather our Food
    ** additionally Flyers like this Are not an Official signature Legal document ..
    *and they have INTENTIONALLY no where on it stated that you will be ticketed, fined, arrested, or Prosecuted
    *because they ain't gonna do it.
    *at best it just a Generic Attempt to Slow down or a bunch of those decribed recreational activity people that should be at home not Hang out with one another Recreating.
    * so @redfred get your Stealth on and get you a cool headed driver to drop you off perhaps just before Daylight take lots of bags with you..and time it perfect where No one sees you and trys to come up near you risking spread of the Virus
    * i am serious
    Thank You from Wade

20. redfred

Wade, we are very like minded!!!!! I agree 100% and have had my plan of action since 3/24/20...