2020 MD MOREL SEASON

Discussion in 'Maryland' started by Kbshroom, Feb 27, 2020.

1. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Excellent

1 person likes this.
  2. Chuck684

Chuck684 Young Morel

Found 10 mostly blacks in Calvert County yesterday. Just got a light rain here over night which should make it easier to spot them.

3. BigBearDoinThings

BigBearDoinThings Young Morel

Hey guys, found these growing around a stump by my house today - can anyone help me confirm there are Morels?

Attached Files:

4. Kbshroom

Kbshroom Morel Connoisseur

Yes sir they are morels. Nice finds congrats

5. BigBearDoinThings

BigBearDoinThings Young Morel

Thanks...I am a little nervous about it but do you think they are safe to eat ?

2 people like this.
  6. Chuck684

Chuck684 Young Morel

Look fine to me! Look up some recipes.

7. Kbshroom

I agree with Chuck684 I would eat them.

2 people like this.
  8. Norm2Go

Norm2Go Young Morel

Spent yesterday morning mulching a flower bed and found two of these little guys popping (in Anne Arundel) IMG_2897 2.JPG

1 person likes this.
  9. Fowlkiller

Fowlkiller Morel Enthusiast

Yes they are 100% morels — Morchella esculenta. Since they’re around a stump and luckily in your yard, you will know if Root Out or any kind of chemical was used to help along the decomp of that stump...? So long as your answer to that is no, they are completely fine to prepare and eat. You'll find yourself counting down the days until spring makes them pop again next year! Unless you catch the bug of course, than all bets are off.

2 people like this.
  10. Fowlkiller

Great find by the way. What area are you in if ya don’t mind me asking? Those are considered yellow morels, which are the largest albeit the last variety of morels to fruit here in our part of the country. Your photos are actually the first I’ve seen so far this year with yellows — and nice sized ones at that!

1 person likes this.
  11. Fowlkiller

Not all festivals are canceled, we attended Rampapalooza yesterday ;-)

Going to pickle a few jars, compound butter, make some pesto/chimichurri. Any other recommendations out there?

Attached Files:

12. redfred

redfred Morel Connoisseur

So I guess eating ramps naturally helps with social distancing........love me some ramp pesto ...

13. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

It won’t be long now. Enjoy.

2 people like this.
  14. Old Elm

Old Elm Morel Connoisseur

We dry the leaves & Crush them up for seasoning pizza, ect.
    then crush em up

15. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

How much studying have you done? Doesn't sound like much! Yes! Morels are safe to eat, and they're the easiest beginner mushroom to get started with. From there you can branch out and hunt other mushrooms, but you need to educate yourself. After that you will know that when you find a new kind of mushroom, and all the indicators (appearance, spore print) are positive, you only eat a tiny amount the first time. Then you sit back and wait for a reaction. This is how it goes when eating wild anything.

Just like my first meal of wild venison every year. It will give me the craps every time! I don't know why. I guess it's just the change from domestically raised meat to wild meat.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fowlkiller

Thanks for the tips guys, time to break out the dehydrator.

2 people like this.
  17. Green Stone

Green Stone Morel Enthusiast

Found 4 small grays and a half free, I think, today. 4 grays just came out, the half free looks like it was out for a little while and dried out on the edges. I think it’s just starting here. 1100’ southeast slope, mostly hickory but mixed with poplar, locust and oak. F352FF6A-A22C-453C-8CB2-4B3D52558F0A.jpeg 6450A28B-EEC2-4E22-A425-5CE6C2019B48.jpeg 8B0C71C2-1C13-454A-AA87-9F79F6760453.jpeg AD84E857-3360-4F7A-A331-652FCDFABCEC.jpeg 6D6F1E9C-E4C3-4D41-994A-241ACE72C53F.jpeg

18. Kbshroom

Greenstone hopefully they are getting going in your area. I actually found a couple small grays mixed in with a couple black ones today up high and some small white ones starting down in lowland myself. That one you found is definitely a half-free. Nice pics as well keep em coming. Congrats!

19. Rock hopper

Rock hopper Young Morel

A few yesterday in Carroll county under sycamores. Small and first ones to pop in this patch.

Attached Files:

20. Hesseltine32

Hesseltine32 Morel Enthusiast

Hi all I’m a complete newb and have some questions.

Sunday I found my first ones in MD which was only two and yesterday I found probably 50 some mostly small over half the black ones. I found these in PG under dead cherry tree mostly and in two different wood lots.

From what I have read the black ones tend to be earlier then the yellow. Do they continue to come up in the same spot as far as yellows after the blacks or different areas. I found most on tops and south slopes a ways up from the creek.
    As far as what I read on this thread looks like things are just starting ?

Kbshroom and (deleted member) like this.