Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hi all I’m a complete newb and have some questions.

Sunday I found my first ones in MD which was only two and yesterday I found probably 50 some mostly small over half the black ones. I found these in PG under dead cherry tree mostly and in two different wood lots.

From what I have read the black ones tend to be earlier then the yellow. Do they continue to come up in the same spot as far as yellows after the blacks or different areas. I found most on tops and south slopes a ways up from the creek.
As far as what I read on this thread looks like things are just starting ?
Black,gray, yellow with some overlap is the usual order.. I would think it would be unusual to find them all in the same area but you might .. It may be as simple as moving down the hill to find the others...Its early so keep checking and best of luck...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Black,gray, yellow with some overlap is the usual order.. I would think it would be unusual to find them all in the same area but you might .. It may be as simple as moving down the hill to find the others...Its early so keep checking and best of luck...
thanks for info. Yeah I’ll plan to after eating my first ones Sunday. I now realize why people go crazy for them lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Found some yellows and blacks in western Maryland. Going to another location today I haven’t checked in hopes to find a mess of black ones. Great seeing all the finds of you guys though.
Nice finds! How far west are ya, out past Frederick?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Found some greys and nice flush of yellows earlier last week. First few photos were from 4/2 and we picked Tues 4/6 so we were amazed to see not only the growth over the 3.5 day span but how many more fruited during that the period as well.

Been saving the last backstrap from a sika hind and I cannot tell ya how glad I was that I did. Whoever said, “they went together like peas and carrots” obviously had never eaten venison and morels!

Hope we can keep things rollin! With more action around the region,
I’d think prime time should be poppin within the next week or two depending on location and conditions. Considering a trip to the west this week, Allegheny or Washington maybe? Stay safe out there folks!

Can’t find em on the couch!

-MH

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Found some greys and nice flush of yellows earlier last week. First few photos were from 4/2 and we picked Tues 4/6 so we were amazed to see not only the growth over the 3.5 day span but how many more fruited during that the period as well.

Been saving the last backstrap from a sika hind and I cannot tell ya how glad I was that I did. Whoever said, “they went together like peas and carrots” obviously had never eaten venison and morels!

Hope we can keep things rollin! With more action around the region,
I’d think prime time should be poppin within the next week or two depending on location and conditions. Considering a trip to the west this week, Allegheny or Washington maybe? Stay safe out there folks!

Can’t find em on the couch!

-MH
Congrats Fowlkiller. And I would have to agree last batch I cooked up was with some venison backstrap. Nothin quite like it one of my favorite meals this time of year for sure!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey everyone so I'm new to the Maryland (originally from Indiana) area and it has been a long time since I've been hunting. I'm wondering where are some good areas to go that are public. I live in Waldorf and I've read about Catoctin Mountain Park. I appreciate any info since a majority of people's spots are going to be their little secret lol.

101 - 120 of 290 Posts