#1 ·
Matsutake Mushroom Ingredient Cuisine Oyster mushroom
Fungus False morel Mushroom Gyromitra Phallales
Red meat Flesh Beef Rock Food
Drink Bottle Alcohol Vacation Beer
Dish Cuisine Food Ingredient Meat
Food Cuisine Dish Vegetarian food Ingredient
Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Produce
Is it ever too early to think about Merkels? I have been dreaming and looking at old pics all thru the winter to scratch my Morel itch. The current weather pattern seems warmer and wetter than most. Should make for a early and prolific Merkel season.

Who's ready?

See less See more
#9 ·
Food Plant Cuisine Ingredient Perennial plant
Food Cuisine Ingredient Dish Plant
Plant Adaptation Fawn Wildlife Wildflower
False morel Hipparchia Adaptation Plant Stinkhorn mushroom
Yes it will be time for Blacks soon. Here are a few Black stragglers mixed with other colors. The ones with the long stems and a tiny cap usually come out and go away first. Then the caps get bigger ending up with the regular shaped Morels that are mostly black. Then it's time for the white, grey and green ones. Can't wait!

#11 · (Edited)
New to the woodfish scene (usually going after panfish lol), had a bit of luck in the Bedford area last year.
Can't wait to get back innawoods! This old scout really enjoyed it last year..

Been eyeing those poplars hard, haha, awesome pictures and good idea using them as a study guide!

Mushroom Agaricaceae Fungus Agaricomycetes Penny bun

Couple cool snaps from my first season.

Keep us Virginia rooks up to date with how you think the seasons timing up, and what you're seeing (timing, hill side/directions, tree types showing, etc) always appreciated barndog! :)

Tree Leaf Plant Branch Spring

And anyone in the Bedford area looking to tag up or drag me around some nice spots, let me know, I'd love to share the experience (and only need a few to take home for the pizza, haha you can have the rest!:D)
Food Cuisine Dish Ingredient Produce
Agaricaceae Mushroom Fungus Agaricomycetes Natural landscape

#14 · (Edited)
I'm seeing some action in some other state's threads, and a buddy found his first 2 of the season up in Ohio.

I'm going to go check my spot tomorrow after work, not sure if it's a good early spot (or really what a good early spot even means or looks like, other than mayapples popping up), but will report back if I see anything.

Lots of poplar trees with a creek between SE and NE facing slopes where I'm trying.

#30 ·
Cuisine Dish Food Ingredient
So we are on the map at my elevation here in Giles county. Tomorrow I plan to go down to the creek level and they should be starting to pop. If it stays warm at night we will have some for the weekend. Found the first Bloodroot today right with the Merkels.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.