Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner
61 - 80 of 187 Posts
what ever was it that got Yall started Over there with the Merkeld Pizzas tradition?
I thought is was just something @barndog
liked to do..now i here it Elsewhere ?
Barndog got me interested to try it last year on my first season, and let's just say it stuck haha

Tonight I'm gonna fry some up though!
Went after work (between rain showers) and still lucked out and found a quick few in my first spot before having to head home to wifey.

Got them low on the hill (750' above sea level), and half in the creek ditch going into the woods. Didn't have time to check higher up, gonna try a new spot tomorrow I think.

Attachments

Good idea SB, didn't notice that section yet!

VIRGINIA IS FOR mushroom pizza LOVERS
lol

I planned on posting it up as people seemed interested, thanks yall! Turned out to be a great way to showcase that big morel flavor.
EDIT: I posted my mini morel pizza bites on the recipe page for anyone curious! Page 2 on Morel Dinner Pics & Recipes thread.
Thanks SB

Loving these finds people are posting though!

Discussion starter · #69 ·
Went out today on a short walk and found a few Blacks and the first Brown of the season. Not much, but enough to cover a frozen pizza. This weekend I hope to get a good haul and make some pizza from scratch.

Attachments

Hi! I found my first morels in Reston Va today. I am new to this and was wondering if you leave the smaller ones to grow and come back later? If so, how long do you let them grow? Some I found were smaller than a jelly bean.
Yes, leave those to grow, but you are taking a chance considering how long it will be until you can get back there. And it depends on how heavily your area is hunted. I hunt mainly on my fish & game club, and it gets hunted hard! But years ago I found a morel that seemed "unique" to me, and I let it grow. It was late in the season so I tried to hide it in the tall grass as best I could. It is the morel in my avatar that is the farthest to the right. The largest morel I have ever found! It was May 22, or 23, so I figured a lot of people had given up by that time.

61 - 80 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.