Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

101 - 120 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Easter morning Merkel hunt, south of Staunton outside of Greenville.

beautiful property (friend of a friend). Steep east/north facing slopes. Dying ash, poplar, hickory, ironwood, cherry, sycamore at the creek bottom. Actually have found more picks this season so far near hickory and cherry than the typical species. Being a forester, it’s peculiar to me and something I’ll keep thinking about - the uncertainty is what makes it exciting!

Trillium flowers are just about to bloom! Most blacks I’ve ever seen in one day.

should be only getting better after the rain we’re getting today!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they're popping in the upper elevations in Montgomery/Roanoke county mountains please... I am from Pa and its a long trip to make if they are not up yet... Been seeing lots of posts on Facebook but my spot is like at least 3000 feet elevation... Also I'm just a few miles from the parkway. thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Got enough for a few pizzas! (one salami n onion, one chicken n onion) haha
My spot seems to have slowed down a bit with the cold front, but hope the rain and warm weather coming up will see another pop!
Been hitting a north east slope, but found my first on the south east slope yesterday, maybe a shift?
20200414_205544.jpg
20200414_211325.jpg

Also found this, bright white shroom with white gills and stalk. Didn't think meadow mushrooms came til August?
A destroying angel maybe??
20200414_165606-1.jpg
20200406_190123.jpg 20200406_185428.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can anyone tell me if they're popping in the upper elevations in Montgomery/Roanoke county mountains please... I am from Pa and its a long trip to make if they are not up yet... Been seeing lots of posts on Facebook but my spot is like at least 3000 feet elevation... Also I'm just a few miles from the parkway. thanks
I guess nobody is finding much at the upper elevations in SW Va... Me and my son went out yesterday after i got off work and found some nice fresh grays here in Franklin Co. Pennsylvania... We only picked a few and left a good many to hopefully turn into nice big yellows in a few days. 0414201718.jpg

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Nice finds everyone. That pizza looks yummy!

They are really poppin good here in Giles despite the cold snap.

I check this thread several times a day. For some reason I saw no new posts since Monday and now this morning all the posts since then just showed up. BBIW?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
As to burn areas. I have never got to hunt in one but I think one aspect that would be a plus would be the removal of a lot of the growth which blocks our view. I believe there are usually more Morels out there, we just can't see them for the brush and weeds.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice finds everyone. That pizza looks yummy!

They are really poppin good here in Giles despite the cold snap.

I check this thread several times a day. For some reason I saw no new posts since Monday and now this morning all the posts since then just showed up. BBIW?
Getting ready to go again this morning. Coved 19 has given me a lot of time to hunt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Found one little grey morel in Arlington , VA on Easter Sunday under a Tulip Poplar tree. Fried it and had it as an appetizer with Easter dinner.

Rick Morgan, are you near Richmond or further north? Trying to figure out where N Va is in the season. Nice finds!
I found them in Leesburg /luckets area. Going gangbusters. I've found most in a stream valley with poplars. Some on the East/North slopes but most in the flats in the "flood plain" Seemed to be concentrated near tulip poplars but if there was a holly tree shading the ground near by I always found some there. I'm going to check another stream valley today.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a spot I used to hunt with a friend in Ohio that was on a hillside with some water trickling down and an old burn pile with ashes that ran down. It was a pretty consistent spot for morels. Never hunted after a bigger burn, but I’ve heard it’s a good place to look.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all,
My first post here, been hunting mushrooms for a few years now, but this is my first season hunting morels. Got a quick question for the experts. I live in Buckingham County in Central Va. and was wondering when the season peaks in these parts. I had a good day yesterday, finding almost 50, but most were on the small side which made me think that the season might just be starting.
here are a few pics of some "in the wild"
morel5.JPG
morel6.JPG
morel7.JPG

101 - 120 of 187 Posts