Morel Mushrooms and Mushroom Hunting banner

201 - 220 of 368 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
Well, look on the bright side. There seems to be a lot more people in the woods this year that normally wouldn't be. If they are experienced shroomers, they may not come back to that spot next year due to the lack or bounty. If they are first timers, maybe they've decided it's too hard and won't go back out! I know we're supposed to be supportive of people getting out there but I'm selfish. I don't want people hunting in the honey holes I've found! Lol
Yep

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hey y'all hope everyone is doing good, havent had alot of time to be on the forum lately lots of family issues going on amongst all the craziness never seems to fail during mushroom season. I'm heading up to my home away from home leaving out Thursday after work have had some contact with some family and have an idea of where I may start but I do keep getting " LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT"
Question tho anyone have any updates on any areas of the manistee? Or Roscommon
with all of this rain moving through, next weekend should be awesome up there. It's gonna heat up finally!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello Michigan hunters. We are leaving north west Ohio tomorrow to head up to Huron Manistee Forest for a couple of days. Lima, Oh did not have a good spring. We had the same thing happen with the early flush, then the cold..the ones that flushed have been nice size end of last week do to the warmth finally..but on,y found about 35 total and in some woods only 1 or 2 nice yellows by them selves. It was weird...so we thought we would try up North..been reading posts and it doesn’t look like anyone is really finding the yellows yet?
I also wondered about the covid thing in the parks..I know camping isn’t open but recreation is so I assume there are hunters out in the state parks?
We rented a camper and went to North Carolina in early April. Same thing but some private camp grounds were open. Are there any private camp grounds in Michigan open?
Do you think the manistee area will be good by the end of this week? Thank you for any advise!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey y'all hope everyone is doing good, havent had alot of time to be on the forum lately lots of family issues going on amongst all the craziness never seems to fail during mushroom season. I'm heading up to my home away from home leaving out Thursday after work have had some contact with some family and have an idea of where I may start but I do keep getting " LOTS OF PEOPLE OUT"
Well, I don’t have any info on Manistee or Roscommon but if the state land up there is anything like down here in Oakland county, it’s gonna be packed w people.... looks like camping is not allowed but they’re open for daily activities and folks down here are certainly taking advantage.
Good luck up north.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you! Yep I figured as much. In Ohio the mushrooms seemed to really pop on the east and central side of the state Better than the west side. Hardin county did great and Allen county which is on the same plane did poorly. I am wondering if Michigan going the same way. Seems most of the posts are on the East side of the state thus far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am heading up to boyne area this Thursday for the weekend will have more info as to where the season is up there!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey there, MI hunters! Looks like I picked a bad year to try out your state. Went scouting yesterday in the rain and found a few potentially nice areas. Might be headed to Yankee Springs or Custer tomorrow. Any thoughts?

BTW, was up near Muskegon and Newaygo. Newaygo looks ready to pop...might have today. Muskegon should be ready by Thursday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am debating heading to northern Michigan this weekend. Been poor in Eaton, Ingham, Clinton counties. Most that I’ve found were old and I don’t see too much new growth that I had hoped this rain would cause. My season in lower/mid seems about done, but I’m sure I’ll keep checking a few past spots. Never hunted north of Clinton County. Wondering how far north to go..??

·
Registered
11 Posts
In Indiana, I always let the trees tell me where we are in the season...doesn't matter if it's an early or late season. Not quite so easy this year in MI. When scouting between Kalamazoo and Grand Rapids on Friday, the parks looked prime for the last push of yellows and peckers, while the National forest and the coast looked like they were still early. By Sunday, the middle seemed like it was done with anything new, while the coast looked prime...couldn't believe I didn't see anything.

With so little ground cover fighting for space with the morels this late, it makes me think there is still going to be a good 2-3 day push in the center of the state. My head says go north or stick to the coast, but my heart wants to try the center again. It's a tough decision when you're driving a couple hours or more.

That earlier post was right...the couple times I went scouting, I saw TONS of hunters everywhere I went. Hopefully, most are frustrated by now.

Has anybody ever tried the state land surrounding any of the highway rest areas? I've walked into some adjacent forests and saw a couple that looked like goldmines

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all, I’m originally from Wisconsin, currently in SW Michigan, I’ve been living here for the past few years and have come up empty each season since I’ve lived here. I found a half free today, but have yet to determine if that means it’s the end or the beginning over here. any advice would be awesome.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am debating heading to northern Michigan this weekend. Been poor in Eaton, Ingham, Clinton counties. Most that I’ve found were old and I don’t see too much new growth that I had hoped this rain would cause. My season in lower/mid seems about done, but I’m sure I’ll keep checking a few past spots. Never hunted north of Clinton County. Wondering how far north to go..??
I would say Cheboygan County is at its peek this past weekend for the black morels. I have posted my finds for Saturday and Sunday. Pretty good hunting. I expect this coming weekend to still produce older black morels but its getting hard to find spots not hunted already. I expect the grays to just be starting this weekend with the warmth predicted the rest of the week. Get up north soon guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #217
Hey all, I’m originally from Wisconsin, currently in SW Michigan, I’ve been living here for the past few years and have come up empty each season since I’ve lived here. I found a half free today, but have yet to determine if that means it’s the end or the beginning over here. any advice would be awesome.
Hi @bee.dreamin - In normal years, the half-frees come
just before the whites/yellow.

Generally, it is a good indicator that the great morels are soon to follow.

However, not this season. And certainly not every season.

This year has em "coming and going"
in all directions in SW MI.

What I can say is since you found a half-free,
see if you can't find more half-frees in that area.
Rarely are they alone.

I know you're after the better morels, likely, but it will
help you train your eyes to see them better.

Use the half-free as your
"test hunt" to training your eyes on the pattern.

I recommend this because by seeing those half-free,
you just may see the great morels you're after.

Where mushrooms grow, OTHER mushrooms grow.
Potentially, the ones you want find. So the good news is
"you're in a shroomy spot" of you're seeing half-frees.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Noskydaddy,
thanks for the advice, I have found a handful of pheasant backs the last two days out, so that’s encouraging.

Hi @bee.dreamin - In normal years, the half-frees come
just before the whites/yellow.

Generally, it is a good indicator that the great morels are soon to follow.

However, not this season. And certainly not every season.

This year has em "coming and going"
in all directions in SW MI.

What I can say is since you found a half-free,
see if you can't find more half-frees in that area.
Rarely are they alone.

I know you're after the better morels, likely, but it will
help you train your eyes to see them better.

Use the half-free as your
"test hunt" to training your eyes on the pattern.

I recommend this because by seeing those half-free,
you just may see the great morels you're after.

Where mushrooms grow, OTHER mushrooms grow.
Potentially, the ones you want find. So the good news is
"you're in a shroomy spot" of you're seeing half-frees.

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,908 Posts
We never did get back there to check it again this year... did we? Or was it just not there?
Nope.. we headed south across
"Coldspring Bottom" up the hill thru the cedars and the little patch of twisted trees.
Then we circled back around..
But decided to take the easy trail back to the truck.. so we never made it back over beyond Coldspring and the other cedars and area where that Big Oyster was probably growing again for us this year

201 - 220 of 368 Posts