!2020 Morel Season Begins...

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by noskydaddy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Auggyfamily

Auggyfamily Morel Enthusiast

Anyone finding around Kalamazoo or Muskegon.

2. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

Great thanks I plan on being in boyne Saturday maybe I'm going to hit the manistee Friday

3. Auggyfamily

Let me know! Working up from Muskegon Thursday..

1 person likes this.
  4. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

63 morels today. Mostly tulip morels (morchella dimunitiva)

3 old ones back to the gods.

upload_2020-5-19_20-42-53.png

5. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

YOU ALWAYS take good pictures @noskydaddy

6. wade

Here's an @noskydaddy Classic from 2017 Back when all of Our Lives where Easier. Screenshot_20200519-205950_Chrome.jpg
    and another Screenshot_20200519-210517_Chrome.jpg

2 people like this.
  7. FERNSnFUNGI

FERNSnFUNGI Young Morel

Was up in Ogemaw County north of West Branch today. Conditions are perfect, after all of this rain we've seen, just waiting for the next few days of temps in the 70s to help them pop. It's been a late start to the season this year. I'm trying to stay patient lol

3 people like this.
  8. george

george Young Morel

9. george

george Young Morel

The gills don't look right to me.

10. Andrew34

Andrew34 Morel Enthusiast

Walked for several hours around Portland state game area today, came up empty handed. There weren't many elms in the areas I was in. Most were very young and very much alive. I did come across a long row of old Apple trees but didn't see anything. Nothing but wild rose growing all over that place, it was a miserable walk. Checked another spot in the Lansing area and again nothing. This place has elms in every state of life and death, from some that died ten minutes ago to ones that are about ten minutes from falling to the ground, and not a single morel. Checked my private land spot and the yellows are hardly an inch tall, but there are a lot of them and I'm confident no one else goes back there so I'm going to give them some time. Any danger in letting them go aside from other people finding them? I've never looked in to how long it takes them to get maximum size.

Hope someone else here had some luck today.

1 person likes this.
  11. Regionnaire

Regionnaire Morel Enthusiast

Searched all over Ottawa Co and Yankee Springs on Tuesday to no avail...a ton of people out looking yet again. I still think MI will be getting a nice push of yellows everywhere, and be done after the weekend. I'll be making the drive again to be up there at the butt crack o dawn today. I'll give an update when I get home.

1 person likes this.
  12. Auggyfamily

What county?

13. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi Andrew,

I let small grays and yellows go all the time because usually within a week, sometimes just two days if warm or we get some rain, those morels can triple or even more in size. Its an amazing thing. Of course there is always the chance that someone will pick them while you wait but in my experience I usually beat others to them as long as I get back to the spot every other day. And usually then I pick the larger ones and leave the smaller ones. Then I may go back to that spot in a week or two and try to get some monsters.

Just my technique for what it is worth.

3 people like this.
  14. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Yesterday's finds 1.5 hours Emmet County. The black morels are peak in Northern Michigan. I found no grays yet.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  15. Morchella Maximus

Morchella Maximus Morel Enthusiast

There is absolutely the chance someone will get them. I know some people return to where others have been and find additional ones. I've got some I've been watching in Clare Co. More worried about bugs eating them. I wanted to watch them. It's been about 2 weeks and I think they're ready. They are about 4" tall but the top on one looks a littel dry and I think a bug started on the other. I will pick them today.

16. Andrew34

Andrew34 Morel Enthusiast

Well the ones I'm referring to are on private with the homeowners home all day so they're hopefully safe.

1 person likes this.
  17. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi Andrew,

Yes they should be safe on private land I would let them grow for a couple days to a week.

Glenn

18. jms0001

jms0001 Morel Connoisseur

Found 4 pretty fresh blondes today. Taking them with me. Got the truck all packed ready to head north first thing tomorrow. Can’t wait to continue my quest

4 people like this.
  19. Morchella Maximus

Morchella Maximus Morel Enthusiast

I found a pretty fresh blonde but I'm married.

20. wade

Then you already have enough distractions at Home..
    So..forget about the fresh Blonde
    As for me..i think just Chewy & Me will get into the woods tomorrow 20200425_103328.jpg Picture of @Kokomorel and Chewy finding