!2020 Morel Season Begins...

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by noskydaddy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Regionnaire

Regionnaire Morel Enthusiast

"How does this work? Do you slurry an existing find or somewhere new? How would you select a place? Did it work in just 1 year? How do you make it (#/sq ft or yard)?"

It was trial and error. I've had a few work well, and some not at all over the course of about 3 years of observation at each site. I do tend to put them back in the same forest most of the time, in new areas, usually in an straight line, east to west. It depends on the forest, but I tend to start in a more south-central location in the woods where they get early morning sun. The one that worked best was a small park on a lake that had morels in other nearby woods in the same system, but separated by housing and roads, and on the other side of the lake.

My process that has worked is pretty simple. I soak the mushrooms in water with molasses for a few hours. Then, I transfer the morels out, add ash right away and remove it from light. I usually get it back out to the forest within 24-48 hours. My best spot took 2 years to start...this is year 6. I've added elsewhere in the forest due N-S-E-W, and now I have growth from the southern border of the park all the way to the north, and from the western border to my spot. It started paying with half-free, which is what comes up most in NWI, but now it produces greys, peckers, yellows, and for the first time...blacks! I had two spots produce blacks this year, and they are the only spots that I've seen greys or blacks in that forest.

I don't have any special plan when I put it down, other than looking for spots that look like they can host mushrooms. It appears to work best when I put it on the ground 6-8 feet from larger trees, with downed timber close by. I also like the tops of small slopes. I don't dump it all in one area, but rather a little here, and a little there in close proximity. I put it in a space of their own, and not on top of degrading wood...that has yet to work for me. A couple have worked when I put them around saplings. I will clear a small area, put some down, and COVER IT with a layer of dead leaves.

2 years in, the one spot paid with about 25 morels. I put down another 4-5 rounds and the next year, I found 117. This year I got somewhere around 500-600 out of there over the course of 4-5 days, and maybe 45-50 from another detached section on the other side of the lake that I started at the same time. That's without me even making it out to harvest yellows. There's one more section of woods separated by roads that doesn't produce. I planning to attempt to bring it to life starting next year.

I've been disappointed many times by slurry not producing. I've only been doing the slurry for 6 years, and have had it work 4 times thus far in new areas (out of maybe 30 attempts around the area). I really just do it casually. Every time I find some morels, I do the same thing.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  2. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

I agree. I headed back to southern Michigan gonna go back north next weekend

3. Regionnaire

How old were the shrooms you found in Manistee? Forest or city? I scoured Newaygo, Duck Lake, and southern Manistee to no avail last week. Was I early, or maybe too far south? I'd head back if I thought I'd find some.

I'm surprised I haven't heard of anything coming out of Cadillac. Are we able to camp south of the U.P.? I didn't think we were able. What is the "recreation pass" deal with the state parks...do you have to register with the DNR or something? Here, we have to if it's a FWA, but not in state parks.

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    1 person likes this.
  4. rockytop69

rockytop69 Morel Connoisseur

Yep think Wednesday on be primetime

1 person likes this.
  5. Morchella Maximus

Morchella Maximus Morel Enthusiast

The Recreation Pass is a park sticker. They used to be purchased at the gate but the state figured they could increase revenue by enabling the purchase with your license plate. The price actually went down if it's on your plate. There is a letter P in the sticker. If you're out of state you'll buy one at the gate (more). I'm not going to tell you to go ahead anyway since there is no staff to patrol.
    All parks are open for day use. Campgrounds are closed until late June, some until October. Private ones may be open. A private one I found was camping only with showers and toilets closed (big RVs).
    Enjoy

Regionnaire likes this.
  6. elmgirl

I actually found 2 in newaygo today seemed really dry however the 2 I did find were on the edge and fresh which to me says if they get rain within the next 2 days there maybe some yellows however I'm up in messick area waiting for the rain here hopefully my best spots are in gaylord and wolverine but I'll probably target those later seemed really dry in my areas there although ppl are finding them there I think it's just gonna b a tough year I think there will b a flush after the rain but not sure it will last long if the temps get real high

7. Regionnaire

@morchella, @elmgirl

Thanks for the info, guys...I appreciate it.

I agree that it was really dry when I was in Manistee. I found a hidden spot up there that looked awesome other than the precip. Everywhere along the coast was the same way. Who knows...if the weather cooperates, maybe I'll make another trip flying blind. I started out just scouting for new spots (thinking I was late), but now I really want to find a few.

2 people like this.
  8. elmgirl

How's it going up there

9. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

Hey Elmgirl... hows it goin for you? Did the recent rain help any? I'm probably heading to the U.P. tomorrow.

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Morchella Maximus

Morchella Maximus Morel Enthusiast

Thanks for the reply. I should have been doing this years ago. Does dehyration damage the spores? Has anyone every tried rehydrated slurry? I go out daily and am still empty handed.

11. elmgirl

Unfortunately got very little rain so wasnt much help we pretty much have just called it quits and just been enjoying our last couple days here we might travel tomorrow then heading home tuesday I might come back up n check my Gaylord n wolverine spots this weekend IF they get any good rain if not I guess itll be a done deal for this year! How is your knee

12. elmgirl

@Glenn hi was wondering how it's going up north if you have any info did it rain? I'm still in manistee area near messick but would like to check my spot in wolverine and gaylord just not sure what to do... probably gonna head home Tuesday any info greatly appreciated

13. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

ONLY about 320 days till we have Fresh Morels popping in South Central Indiana again.. im getting Ready for spring 2021

14. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

Awww geeze, I was hoping you were picking. I'm glad you're enjoying your time up there. I am debating what to do and when to go. My knee is getting better but I don't want to do miles of unproductive walking so I may reconsider leaving today. I don't think anyone is finding much because the other Michigan morel forum is pretty much dead. I think I've seen some reports on Facebook but nothing too exciting.

15. rockytop69

Hope wheather forecast holds true next couple days wanting head back to Gaylord area Wednesday for couple days.will post if finding and try give you a heads up.

3 people like this.
  16. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi Elmgirl,
    There are still black morels to be found out there. I picked about a pound friday the 22nd. Nice sized and still in
    good shape. Walleye fishing saturday. Filled up the fridge with fillets. Yesterday went to Wolverine to look for
    white morels. Did find about half a dozen nice sized grays and also some tiny grays. But it is not really ready
    yet. The only trees producing were my very best and dependable trees where I usually pick motherloads. Next
    weekend I am expecting great hunting! It seems very late compared to normal years. But things are actually
    right on schedule compared to last year and 2019 was my best year ever picking until middle of June. I started
    picking last year after Memorial day and June was the peak. We got 0.25" rain yesterday and supposed to get
    more over the next three days. I think you should really get up here next week.

4 people like this.
  17. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

I meant next weekend. My wife and I are going friday the 29th and trying to beat everyone else to my best
    spots.

3 people like this.
  18. rockytop69

Thx for info Glenn keep us posted. Will be up there wed or thurs hopefully. Best of luck

1 person likes this.
  19. elmgirl

Thanks for the info @Glenn what trees are best for blacks up there is it the peoples? We have already started up it's our last day we will probably head home in the morning and may shoot back Friday night and try 4 Saturday and sunday probably will be our last chance

1 person likes this.
  20. elmgirl

Thx we are venturing there today just because nothing in the area we are in so nothing to lose! I'm actually gonna try to head back Friday night n hunt Saturday and Sunday but that'll probably be my last opportunity 4 this year. Good luck and if possible keep me updated thanks!