!2020 Morel Season Begins...

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by noskydaddy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

Yes it's not very good I've even ran into some commercial pickers who have and are picking however they too are saying worst season in years its 75 already and not even noon best of luck to you my friend for a fast full recovery on the knee

Kokomorel and (deleted member) like this.
  2. jms0001

jms0001 Morel Connoisseur

Sorry I didn’t report sooner, my service was terrible. My group had pretty decent success on the ridges of north facing hills, all dead ash. In total for 2 days of hunting I’d say we ended up with around 70. Only hunted one time each day. Weather looks prime for middle to the end of the week for the big blondes. We were finding fresh grays of decent and small size and blondes just starting. Hope this helps. I’d be up there next weekend if I could. We did get 2 pretty good soaking rains and more in the forecast

1 person likes this.

3. elmgirl

Very good info thx again enjoy your fishing!

4. jparr

jparr Morel Enthusiast

Hey all, this is my first time hunting The Huron NF, found 50 blacks today but was hoping to get some blondes. I’ll be here for another week. Anyone have pointers for finding the blondes. Blacks were in decadent aspen mixed with dead pine and a fair bit of grass. 50/50 crumbly and fresh all north east slope.

1 person likes this.
  5. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

I'm headed back up too. Might just go to the U.P.

6. celticcurl

celticcurl Morel Connoisseur

I was looking at my pins for 2018 and see a lot of them were for June 4th way up there near Gaylord and points north. Last year I didn't hunt up there because I was stationed at 12 Mile Beach the last week of May thru the end of June. Can't wait to check my U.P. spots!

7. Regionnaire

Regionnaire Morel Enthusiast

I had 4 mid-season days like this combined from 3 of my slurrys. Had another 8 days with between 20 and 60. Small forests on a densely populated lake.
    IMG_20200501_193720.jpg

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  8. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi elmgirl,

Yes lately I have been finding all the black morels in middle aged aspen stands (must be big-tooth aspen, quaking aspen look very similar
    but don't usually produce as well). The hillier the better. I picked yesterday for just a little over an hour and found a good number of big
    black morels but about half are going bad with all this heat so we are pretty much at an end unless you go to the UP. I spent more time
    checking trees for grays and blondes and are finding very few. It is a bit perplexing but I have faith they are still coming big time because
    this is exactly what happened last year. Super late but then super good! My next day for picking in Cheboygan County will be friday.

I'll keep you posted if you keep me posted!

Glenn

2 people like this.
  9. Andrew34

Andrew34 Morel Enthusiast

So we're pretty much wrapped up in the southern part of the lower peninsula then? Not a single morel other than the few blacks and greys a few weeks ago. Really disappointing considering this same piece of woods brought several pounds of late season white and yellows but nothing this year.

10. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

Wow! That’s incredible!

11. bung23

bung23 Morel Connoisseur

Yep.....I bet any morels that we’re up turned to mush after the heat of the last few days....and 90 today!
    My worst season in my morel career (almost 20 years) except my first year when I had no idea what I was doing....lol

12. elmgirl

@jms0001 and @Glenn for the updates did a little better up that way we only had ab
    Hey Glenn we picked in cheboygan yesterday half day and today found no greys all blondes found about 25 not much compared to what we r used to finding however was all new territory for us our normal spots are late and have me confused we stopped back at one of them today and found only 3 babies but fresh there should have been lots. I'm just wondering if this hot weather has ruined things in those spots yet also wondering if the cooler night temps will help any but man 86 in the days I dont know. We found everything around the norm elm n ash with the exception of 15 we picked under a dead apple out of pure luck before getting to the room. Heading home to Indiana tomorrow but plan on staying around and hunting til dark before heading out. I cannot go home without checking in on a spot we have yet to visit in charlevoix county
    Goodluck my friend keep me posted I may if worth it venture back Friday and stay til Sunday but only if it's really popping lol wish I had time for the UP this year but unfortunately dont

4 people like this.
  13. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Thanks for the report Elmgirl,

Yeah I am worried about the heat. It is only going to last through Wednesday and I am hoping that most of the young esculentes are not up yet. When I say grays I also include the blondes. I consider both to be variations of the same variety just younger than when they get truly
    yellow in color. So your report is pretty similar to what I witnessed Monday. I will let you know after Friday whether the heat is ruining them.

P.s. I don't know where you hunt in the UP but I live and hunt Chippewa and Mackinac counties and they are way drier than Cheboygan and Emmet counties and if we do not get rain soon I don't think you will be missing anything.

Glenn

1 person likes this.
  14. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

@elmgirl and Everyone
    Yep..I’ve been thinkin of our good regular spots that we completely bypassed this year and now we'll never know what was there..
    So yep..try to check all your spots..
    All I can Comfort myself with now..
    Is hoping what we left out there..will spore more and increase our Harvest in 2021 20200418_143459.jpg
    Picture from this April 18th 2020
    Monroe County Indiana
    * Me "finger in lens"
    * Jeremiah "been drinking Mountain Dew"
    * elmgirl "up the trail ahead"
    Hunting thru the "Lost City"...
    We found some that Confirmed, that we were three days early ..
    * It was great to be out together again *

15. rockytop69

rockytop69 Morel Connoisseur

Heading up to Gaylord area tomorrow for couple days.Sure hope the Morels cooperate.

16. k_kindig11

k_kindig11 Morel Enthusiast

When you say you add ash, are you referring to what's left over after a fire or the wood? I'd be interested in trying this out at my place. Just dumping the mushroom water/scraps in certain places has never produced anything.

17. Driver

Driver Morel Enthusiast

That's really good awesome. So glad you're finding some. New to this site haven't been on in a couple weeks due to work just been so busy. Going to go out this weekend give it one last shot. But I understand my chances are slim due to this weather. Be searching around the Jackson Michigan area. Can anyone tell me do blondes and blacks grow in the same location? Also is there any other mushrooms that I should be looking for right now or that will be coming up anytime soon. Thank you and I appreciate your input have a good day everyone

18. Morchella Maximus

Morchella Maximus Morel Enthusiast

I use this calendar althoug I had to look up the scientific names and write down the common names.
    bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/record-eagle.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/3c/c3c3111c-cc5c-11e9-8414-c7308a848b44/5d6b2786d67f6.image.jpg?resize=960%2C720

19. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I think you need to post that as a link. Click the 7th box from the left on the top of the reply box (the one that looks like a chain), then copy and past the link the place that opens. Wait a minute, let me see if I can do

Meh, didn't work! Has to come from outside the site, I guess. I tried to post a link from your post. I've asked for this before. Some sort of calendar of mushrooms that flush at various time of the year. I kind of have it down, but would like further reinforcement.

1 person likes this.
  20. elmgirl

Was a great day thx 4 having us