!2020 Morel Season Begins...

Discussion in 'Michigan' started by noskydaddy, Mar 29, 2020.

1. wade

wade Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Best of Times

3 people like this.
  2. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

Most definitely we were! The season was good to us

4 people like this.

3. rockytop69

rockytop69 Morel Connoisseur

Sitting at work wishing I was in the woods makes for a long day.what a bummer

4. rockytop69

Glenn u still finding?

5. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi rockytop,

Yes I am still finding some. But it is puzzling. In past years I find at least one morel every other ash tree that is in good shape and this year I'm finding about one in ten. It is terrible. Plus I haven't found a tree with over six yet. Usually I find 4 or more double digit trees a year.
    Sometimes in past years I find trees with 40 plus. It is not happening this year. I will keep posting. This is yesterdays finds in Emmet County. I will be hunting in Mackinac County tonight and in Emmet county friday. Not sure yet where I will go saturday and sunday but I will post. It was really great meeting you online through these posts and other good people that are morel nuts like me!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  6. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi Elmgirl,

I just want to say thank you for the great reports of your northern Michigan adventures. I love it up here too. I am going to keep posting my finds for as long as I have them. Maybe another week. Loved meeting you online and look forward to posting back in forth with you next spring!!!

1 person likes this.
  7. rockytop69

Yes that’s how we were finding them over weekend only found 3 tress with group clusters around but still we did on a lot of old ones we left. Thinking about trying UP this week wanting to see what info u could give us so thank you very much. Hope you hit the motherload

1 person likes this.
  8. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like a great time, great pics.

2 people like this.
  9. rockytop69

Meant ok stupid spell check lol

10. elmgirl

elmgirl Morel Connoisseur

@Glenn yes hope you finish with a great bang I heard from a friend they are still doing really well in Vanderbilt and a few other areas look forward to next season stay well my friend

1 person likes this.
  11. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Yeah I seen the insane Vanderbilt findings on facebook. I may need to do some scouting on that area for next year!

1 person likes this.
  12. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Hi Rockytop,

I wish I could give you a good UP report. But for me the UP was a total bust both blacks and white morels. At least in the norther lower I did excellent on the black morels. Just the white morels giving problems. In the UP we didn't get rain for 10 straight days right during prime black morel sprouting period. I was checking on them and they were quite small and I was hoping for rain. By the time we did get the rain
    it was 90 degrees and breaking temperature records. It ruined the black morels that I was watching. Last night I checked a spot that I did great on whites last year and two other friends joined me. We looked at hundreds of ash trees and much in between and found nary a morel. I am monitoring a few esculente that popped in Chippewa County and one succumbed to the intense heat last week and the other is
    holding on but not doing well. I skipped many of my other spots because there are alot of grassy fields to walk thru and the ticks were terrible.

2 people like this.
  13. rockytop69

Thanks for the report and hope u find some more my family went up today to the UP not sure where I couldn’t get off work to go but when I here how they doing I’ll give u a heads up.was hoping they are finding cause thinking about going up for the weekend but how they do will be deciding factor for me

14. rockytop69

Hey glenn
    My family found none in the UP not sure where they were but sure didn’t have much luck

1 person likes this.
  15. noskydaddy

noskydaddy Morel Connoisseur

@Glenn Do I understand you correctly that normally you find
    one or so morels every few ash trees you check?

That is my experience as well.

This year the morels just weren't there for me. Not there.

1 person likes this.
  16. morelseeeker

morelseeeker Morel Connoisseur

I have a friend that is in the U.P. and as of 2 days ago she said the whites haven't started. Near Munising

2 people like this.
  17. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

Yes Noskydaddy,

Nice to meet you. Its hard for me to believe how many beautiful ash trees. Huge ones with leaves and very little ash bore presence and they have no morels. I'm about 4 years doing this and the other three years I did way better. Not that they all have morels but a much higher percentage than this year. But look at the reports on Michigan facebook from Vanderbilt. That is northern Michigan. It is unbelievable. But you know what? It just makes me want to check even more. I love walking in the woods looking for trees. And it really makes one appreciate the finds when they do have success.

Glenn

1 person likes this.
  18. Glenn

Glenn Morel Connoisseur

19. mmh

mmh Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Anyone heading to the U.P. to hunt, stop at the Clare rest stop that is in between the North and South bound lanes. I found a brochure there that I think was entitled "Forestry of the U.P.
    It will show you the predominant trees in different areas. Shroom on my friends

20. shroomsearcher

shroomsearcher Morel Connoisseur

I addressed this earlier. It does not appear to be posted as a "link". I tried to do it from the post and it did not work. I described how to do it, but nothing happened. apparently he took no action.

1 person likes this.